Reviews for A Study in Stereotyping
smudge1017 chapter 1 . 5/7
HAHAHAHAHA!
This is hysterical! I love this!
ServeMeTheSky chapter 1 . 12/23/2014
Absolutely. Brilliant.

I choked on my tea when I read 'Pepto-Bismol coloured hair' and had to put it down for the rest of the read in case I electrocuted myself.

Makes you realise how much this fandom needs to tone down its stereotyping!
Truna chapter 1 . 7/18/2013
Rolling on the frikkin' floor laughing.
Chimzap chapter 1 . 6/10/2013
This has got to be the most randomest thing I have ever read. Kudos to you! A job well done!
Lycopene chapter 1 . 3/31/2013
Most stereotypes in one go. I laughed really hard. Congrats.
TOkun92 chapter 1 . 12/14/2012
?
They-Call-Me-Orange chapter 1 . 9/25/2011
This was the most ridiculous thing I've read in a long, long time.

Well done, sir or madame.

Haruka's nonsense in particular had me giggling, but the ending was amazing too. I'm now choosing to believe that part of Shizuru's insanity was brought on by her hyper-caffinated state - she reached Nirvana and transcended it, to the point where any and all logic she possessed was replaced with anthropomorphic vaginas whispering incitements to violence. Or something.

Er, anyway. This was hilarious. I'm definitely going to check out more of your work.

-Orange
DezoPenguin chapter 1 . 4/3/2011
Permit me to pause and snerk for a while.

*snerk* *snerk* *snerk*

Okay, I think I'm coherent now. A very funny story, which builds the humor well by starting out dry and snarky and leading up to the more slapstick ending, while highlighting most of the myriad absurdities of both canon and fanon. Lots of good stuff here: Haruka's dialogue, "pepto-bismol-colored bob-cut"; "pinkish, sulky-looking malignant growth" (seriously, someone needs to steal that line and actually use it on Shiho in a non-humor fic...except that as you observe, nobody ever writes about Shiho in a non-humor fic? Maybe the Shiho fans were all kidnapped by pirates, too?), "bunny-lust"; "red as a baboon's butt"; "pale, very likely awkward sex" "in a display of sheer badassery...died of heartbreak."

...and all this combined with a useful health tip about the potential hazards of overindulgence in caffeine! _-
Two Ghosts in One Mirror chapter 1 . 3/18/2011
Welcome to our favourites list; hereby dedicated to the collection of stories which can teach something.

In your case, it's How Not To Write Mai-HiME fanfiction. You managed to accomplish this feat with wit and that resigned experience that comes of trawling through the archives multiple times and beginning to piece together patterns.

I would just add that I'd watch out for your use of passive state-of-being verbs (are/was/is). They work for this type of story (and you're skilled enough of a writer to intersperse plenty of adjectives and adverbs to spruce things up, but do be careful. I often force myself to re-check my writing in order to remove of extraneous passive verbs and replace them with active ones. For example, instead of

"Natsuki...is outside..."

You could have

"Natsuki, ever so sociable, sits/lies flopped on the driveway/hides behind the hedges/secludes herself outside while licking mayonnaise off of her you get the idea..."

You are an astute fan. Of all the disgusting cliches this fandom is prone to, the only one missing here would be Nao arbitrarily falling into paroxysms of angst regarding her mother, or attempting to whore herself out to every character who happens by.

Good work. Not a grand fanfic, nor complicated, but informative and worth linking to as 'Mai-HiME Red Flags 101'. Rather a Mary Sue test, except for canon characters.

~Zwei

The Second Ghost
MadHattess chapter 1 . 2/7/2011
You have a gift for absurdity, and also insight. This is a very clever, fun piece- and it even ends with a bang… well, a bang followed by a sheepish, apologetic note which somehow makes it just that much better.

There are a lot of clichés and stereotypes that have come to flourish in this fandom. I’ve been tempted to write a few light hearted scenes poking at some of them myself. I’m amazed at how deftly you worked so many of them in. It was very quick and efficient. I like that.
Haruka chapter 1 . 12/16/2010
red huge water pill. pretty informative trannys give candy. orange monkey fried chicken. three horny boys visit willy wonkas chcolate factory. mini cats ate boston.

" It's 'That was freaking amazing. I laughed my ass off. In fact I am still laughing. good work, wonderful story. Bravo!' Haruka-chan" Yukino said, while making a mental note to teach Haruka how to speak something other than gibberish.
ChibiKagura chapter 1 . 11/19/2010
Are. Oh. Eff. El.

Brilliant, dear. Simply brilliant. I love the snark, I love the rampant abuse of stereotypes...I kind of want to bathe in this fic now!

Brb, off to be invisible in my little TakuAki world...

(oh, and this is novA from MU btw...)
PhantomBlaze chapter 1 . 10/13/2010
This is quite hilarious. Made me laugh pretty loudly. I have to say I agree that in this fandom, there's too much... fanon stereotypes. Unfortunately, being an inexperienced writer myself, I have to say I sometimes have those lapses myself. So I shouldn't be laughing or talking, eh? But still, thanks for writing this fic to raise awareness of annoying stereotyping. Thoroughly enjoyable read.
J. Peterson chapter 1 . 9/4/2010
Heheheheh. Perfect. Just perfect. :grin: I do so adore reading stereotypes. For one thing, it's funny (or hilarious in the case of your story), and for another, it's educational in the way that it points out all the horribly overused clichés from the fanfics about the show/movie/book/elephant of choice.

I'm sure I always use a few. Kudos to you - this was awesome!
E.M.PRAETORIAN chapter 1 . 8/23/2010
For some reason I missed this before.

ROTFLMFAO...

You have an excellent piece of crack here...shaking it's fist at the collective Mai-HiME stereotypes. Awesome...