Reviews for Against All Odds
midnightisolde chapter 12 . 9/1/2017
This is a wonderfully written story. I will review this as a summary all of the chapters I have read, rather than just this final one.
Your original character is convincing and suits the Ventrue - sometimes fan fics have OCs that don't fit whatever clan they are, or are just shallow Mary Sue types.
From the brief appearance, Lacroix is very well drawn. Though here is is a a fall from grace and so not quite his self as we usually see him, you write this side of his character in this situation in a convincing way. Lacroix is courteous, but duplicitous and predatory after all. That's why it's interesting to see how writers handle romance or genuine trusting friendship, because it can easily become OOC and break suspension of disbelief. People are not one dimensional - Lacroix therefore is capable of more than being a one sided manipulative villain, but a 'softer' side has to be convincing not just mindless mush.
It's a shame this story is abandoned as all these 12 chapters summarise the camarilla ending and the aftermath. But as your story is an eventual LaCroix/oc, these chapters lay the foundations and backdrop to that relationship - which I guess we will never read now. :(
LooneySlytherin chapter 11 . 9/20/2014
I've now reread the 12 chapters you've posted so far. This is without a doubt the best vtmb story I have read. It's filled with such depth and intellect it's simply outstanding. Please don't give this up. You have such a beautiful gift. You have truly brought this world to life and to see this get cast aside would be heartbreaking. I know it must be difficult to start this up again after it has been sitting there for four years but please pick it back up.
LooneySlytherin chapter 12 . 9/9/2014
Awww I hope you come back to writing this has been a fantastic story.
Are you chapter 1 . 2/8/2012
Still going to write for this story? Its very good :D and it kind of sucks that all of the fanfictions with LaCroix are all unfinished...
myobsidianbutterfly chapter 12 . 1/8/2012
Finally, I found THE countinuation with the Camarilla ending I've been looking for :) I really enjoyed reading your fanfic and I hope you'll post a new chapter as soon as possible. :)

ps: I thought I'm the only one who saw that mansion in front of the Tower as a potential haven. o.O :DDDDD
Mariagoner chapter 12 . 10/6/2011
I do hope you update this story soon- it's absolutely fascinating and Irene manages to be an amazingly mesmerizing protagonist. Not to mention, I can't wait to see what happens with LaCroix and his little "revenge"...
Mariagoner chapter 11 . 10/6/2011
I really enjoyed both Irene's confrontation with Alexandra and with Nines- regardless of what she thinks, she has even more heart *and* moxie than she suspects. The more I read about her, the more well-rounded she gets- she certain't isn't a Mary Sue at all!
Mariagoner chapter 10 . 10/6/2011
I loved Irene's last email! And the power-play within court and against Nines was wonderfully written- proof that politics can be as big a rush as anything else!
Mariagoner chapter 9 . 10/6/2011
Ah, I see Irene has a new side-kick now! It will be interesting to see how they get along with one another... and perhaps the former Prince might be able to use said side-kick to get to Irene eventually...?
Mariagoner chapter 8 . 10/6/2011
I love how well you write the Tremere primogen and that email in the end was *perfect* foreshadowing... I can't wait to see what else might "accidentally" convey a certain exile's regards to Irene next!
Mariagoner chapter 7 . 10/6/2011
I actually really enjoyed reading this LaCroix- he has so much more depth than the smug snake version of him that appeared in the game, while still being something of his obsessive, oily self. And yet, the UST between him and Irene is just too *delicious* to let go. Breaking her indeed! I look forward to a future reunion between them, to tell the truth...
Mariagoner chapter 6 . 10/6/2011
The "Malkavian freak-out" interlude was very nicely played and now, I'm all the more intrigued by what will happen between Irene and LaCroix. Off to read the next chapter!
Mariagoner chapter 5 . 10/6/2011
You are so adroit at writing political machinations that it's amazing. Fantastic job showcasing the blood-thirsty politics of Kindred once more!
Mariagoner chapter 4 . 10/6/2011
I love the way you wrote her confrontation with Sebastian, as well as her emotions in watching him crumble. Powerful and done so well.
Mariagoner chapter 3 . 10/6/2011
I love the description of the fight scene- you manage to really put us into Irene's head. Well done!