Reviews for Customs
Woooooiw!
I'm not joking , this is passionating. The way it is written! I'm not eeven talking about the part where they mate , I mean really you did a wonderful job.. It is highly intellectualy intesresting! How you did manage their reactions because of the culture and the discussion and the mentality , the way they are teying to answer and act with each other , caring what to or not etc.. The sincerity even... There noy humans but oh well, this could be! I'm not sure if this last commentary will be took greatly but oh well This is all so super. I had to write you about it! I mean you deserve it , i'm even glad to tell you it!:) oh answer me , i will be glad to hear an answer!:) whatever is the answer!
Nhaundar chapter 1 . 4/18/2012
Das ist ein wirklich toller One-Shot.

Ohh jeah!

Sehr gut, dass er DEN Elfen gewählt hat um seine Fragen geklärt zu bekommen, was wohl verständlich ist... wenn man sein Verhältnis zu Frauen betrachtet... Am besten hat mir aber der Teil gefallen in dem Tos'un das Verlangen gespürt hat, mehr zu machen... Das hast du richtig gut beschrieben! Aber bos er soweit gehen kann... muss er wohl noch mit Hralien trainieren! ;D XDDD

Auf jeden Fall super geschrieben und ja verteufelt noch mal! der Sex parthat hier rein gehört! Aber sowas von! XDDD

LG Nhaundar.
Annon chapter 1 . 5/5/2011
A little late, but I really liked this story.

I wondered the exact same thing after reading the book (Um...that is "how did an average male drow deal with the vast cultural differences in sex, gender roles and the like to the point where he was able to have a committed and (apparently) happy relationship with an elf?" Not "Did Tos'un and Hralien ever have kinky sex?") and this story addressed it very nicely.

You made Tos'un sweet and sympathetic, while still remaining utterly drow, no mean feat, and I found his inability to grasp that rape and prostitution are Bad Things more endearing than I probably should have done. I really wish other stories payed more attention to him as a character - he says some interesting things about the innate evil (or lack thereof) of the average drow.
BatPhace chapter 1 . 9/6/2010
This is awesome. A little wordy at times, but aren't we all? And the subject is great. There's not enough about Tos'un and the others out there. Beautiful. :o)
Nastja chapter 1 . 4/20/2010
I really liked your story. It had a very natural flow in it. Cultural differences can be really fascinating and adapting them to a story well takes a lot of skill. It makes these characters and the world around them to feel very real and tangible. Have you studied another language yourself? I think you could have made more out of your story by perhaps incorporating difficulties with language and different connotations here, since Tos'un wasn't supposedly fluent in Elvish yet. I really wished you would make more stories of them:)
Hanabira chapter 1 . 4/18/2010
I wish Tos'un and Hralien were more popular in the fandom. Not as a couple, but as characters. They would be more interesting to read about than the Companions! Thank you for writing a story about them. I wasn't too fond of the sex scene, but having Tos'un talk over tricky cultural issues with Hralien was great. Salvatore only explores how much prejudice the drow face on the surface, but he never really explores how difficult it would be for a normal male drow to adapt to a culture completely different from his own. Worldly wise Jarlaxle and kindhearted Drizzt are by no means normal drow, and they have very few problems adapting to life on the surface. However, Tos'un would fit the normal drow bill. He doesn't come to the surface because he wants to escape the society of the drow the way Drizzt and, to an extent, Jarlaxle do. He comes to the surface to wage a war, manages to get lost, and tries to make the most of his situation. We see him develop a very tentative friendship with Hralien, and a hundred years later we learn that he has married Sinnafain and had two children. It would have been nice to see how a male drow noble got from point A to point B. I don't think committed relationship much less marriage when I think of a typical drow.

Anyway, thanks again.
Surreptitious Chi X chapter 1 . 4/16/2010
Wow. I haven't read that book and never will, but I don't need to in order to appreciate this realistic rendering of what it's like for a drow trying to acclimate to surface society. I appreciated Tos'un's struggle immensely. We've all sat on that uncomfortable edge before about something - knowing we shouldn't, wanting to...and hopefully, backing away. We're always glad and disappointed at the same time that we do. You really portrayed that.