Reviews for His Father's Son
Gamma Orionis chapter 1 . 1/10/2012
I loved this, it felt like a scene out of a Victorian novel. The description was fantastic. I could see the whole event unfolding before me, and Severus's thoughts and actions - skipping the service especially - seemed realistic and in character. Wonderful work!
Inkfire chapter 1 . 1/6/2012
This was very skillfully written, your descriptions set the gloomy atmosphere perfectly, I could really picture the scene. I like the way you showed Eileen's bitterness, especially towards her son, and the way Severus was so very distant and reluctant, yet still seemed to feel some sense of responsibility, both towards her and notifying his father's family… Their dialogue was very harsh and in-character. Very good work…
Principi Phantasia chapter 1 . 6/16/2011
This was amazing!

I love how you described everything, how you developed the characters. There are so many versions of Snape's relationship with his mother, but I like this one you created. It's as if he respected her, but at the same time cold and distant.

You revealed that he was unwanted - no wonder he would act the way he did.

I got the feeling that Eileen kind of needed Severus' presence but was too cocky to admit it.

You kept Severus in character, great job! :)
Rameelia chapter 1 . 2/11/2011
Uuh, I really like this. I particularly enjoyed your portrayal of Eileen and her relationship with Severus. There's this underlying tension to their interaction, and one can feel that they're not at ease in each other's company, even though they, or Severus at least, care for each other... however little. I also enjoyed Eileen's inner monologue at the beginning. There's this preconceived notion in the fandom that Tobias was a real bastard to his wife and son and so, Snape and his mum must have had a wonderful relationship. So it was refreshing, seeing them both at odds.

Masterfully done characterisation. Despite being a bit doubtful about Snape smoking and swearing, it really felt as though I was reading about two very real people (rather than black-and-white cardboard characters), who just happen not to like each other very much. Nicely done!
excessivelyperky chapter 1 . 1/23/2011
Well, isn't Eileen special? It's clear that she blames her son for ruining her life (as if she couldn't have left Tobias years ago and managed on her own if she had wanted to). And now she's free of Tobias-now what? Her sneers at Lily make it clear that she hates the Muggle world, and everyone in it, but it doesn't sound like she plans to go back to the magical one, either. What a pity she couldn't have been a mother to her son. She complains about Malfoys and strings-but notice she didn't offer Severus anything at all.

No wonder Snape fell for the fake love he was offered by both sides-it's all he ever got.
with the monsters chapter 1 . 10/29/2010
This was a great piece - I think you took a really good look at Snape. You made him interesting and really inspiring to read about.
SmileAndConfusePeople chapter 1 . 8/19/2010
I got a bit confused with the part about Lily but it was wonderfully written and the emotions and distance between Snape and his mother was lovely in a heartbreaking way.
mackgirl chapter 1 . 6/9/2010
I don't normally read stories about Snape, but decided to go outside my comfort zone and give this a try. I am glad I did! I loved the interaction between Snape and his mother, and you even had me feeling sorry for Snape. That is not something that is easy to do! Great story!
Free Dreamer Night Writer chapter 1 . 4/27/2010
Wonderful. I loved the interaction and the distance between Snape and his mother
mysticfireflower chapter 1 . 4/26/2010
I really like it. I like how you made Snape's mother act.
xabandonedaccountx chapter 1 . 4/25/2010
Fabulous. I could really feel the emotions and the descriptions were beautiful
Julia Claire chapter 1 . 4/24/2010
I really liked this. I loved how you wrote Snape and his mother, and also how you wrote the funeral through the Parson's eyes.

I got a little confused at the end, though. I didn't understand the part with Lily
Princess Gillybean chapter 1 . 4/20/2010
I wrote a review for this about how much I enjoyed it. Then fanfiction decided not to work properly and I can't remember everything I said. I did really like the way you wrote his mother.
Il'Diko chapter 1 . 4/18/2010
You alwyas get me to read a Severus Snape fic. And fact is I even like it... :)

I never read a young adult Snape fic, and I'm thrilled with this characterisation. I loved how he smoked, how he used bad language (makes him human), yet he was so, so in charter. So difficult to see through, so difficult to read.

I'm suprised you wrote Eilen like this, in fanon she is a proper witch, so keen on Severus, yet here she was 'mere' woman, a normal wife... It was refreshing and so new to see her like this.

As, always, amazing dialoge, you can write conversation like no one else.

And the beggining scene, the description was so beautiful and so literary. I loved this whole fic.
Bad Myrtle chapter 1 . 4/17/2010
Oh wow, this is fabulous. I love the distance between Snape and his mother and the half-voiced implacation that his parents' problems were his fault. And the ending, slipping it all into conteext, was masterly. Kudos.