Reviews for The Bells of St Clemons
Inkfire chapter 1 . 1/6/2012
Wow, first, I was really amazed by the way you described the bells. It was stunning, such a rich imagery fitting the sound. I also love the way Neville was observing London through the glass, like a foreign world, so faraway, and yet he got such strong perceptions from it. As for Augusta, the way she kept that pride of her son and daughter-and-law and clung to it was so heart-breaking and bittersweet. When she said that Frank would worry, it was almost like they were… aware, instead of hopelessly out of reach. And the fact that she told Neville that they would come home again one day, God… it was so cruel that she couldn't let go of that hope, and that she was passing it on to Neville. The last line was perfect… Great work.
Caveat Lector 52 chapter 1 . 9/17/2011
I like your Augusta. She's bit rough, but you can still tell she cares.["What if they get better while I am gone?"] This line just about broke my heart, knowing that Frank and Alice are never gonna get better. All in all, this is wonderful, plain and simple.
excessivelyperky chapter 1 . 1/23/2011
Very good story. Poor Neville! Augusta can't make up her mind; she talks about her son as if he really cared, when both she and Neville know he and Alice aren't able to.

I wonder what she talks about that Neville knows isn't true?
SmileAndConfusePeople chapter 1 . 8/19/2010
A beautiful story about a grieving elderly woman and her young and extremely impressionable grandson. I love how Augusta sortakinda told Neville the truth but left gaps for him to be kept safe from it for a few years to come.
Vera Rozalsky chapter 1 . 7/5/2010
Oh, I do like this, and all the more for what isn't said. It was interesting trying to guess how old Neville is in this one (nine? ten?) Anyway, young enough yet to have hope... for what Gran knows is hopeless.

Gorgeous little vignette.
mackgirl chapter 1 . 6/9/2010
I really enjoyed how you started the story with the rhyme. I also enjoyed Neville and Augusta's conversation, and how Augusta in her own way was trying to calm Neville's fears. It was a very enjoyable read, great story.
GrimmauldPhoenix chapter 1 . 5/7/2010
I think I'm just going through every story of yours in the library!
Once again - My Praise! Kudos!
Schermionie chapter 1 . 4/28/2010
Oh, this is wonderful! It's so... subtle. Yes, subtle is the word. Augusta was particularly fantastic, just the strong-willed woman we are told she is.

Nitpick: '"Your dad is going think to something happened. ..."' - 'going think to' should be 'going to think'.

I loved this glimpse into Neville's life, and his feelings on his parents. The musical undertones provided some beautiful imagery, and the ending - ah, I loved it. The thought of Augusta imposing her worries on her young grandson like that is sad, but likely judging on what we know. She is still grieving, too. Wonderful fic.
Free Dreamer Night Writer chapter 1 . 4/27/2010
Wonderful job sugarcoating canon and the last line. I feel so bad for Neville pretty much being in the same situation as Harry but not quite as his parents are still alive. I liked how you made Augusta sorta tell him the truth.
respitechristopher chapter 1 . 4/26/2010
Oh, goodness. Your Augusta is so breathtakingly loathesome - I love her. And poor, poor Neville. This is the boy I remember from Sorcerer's Stone; losing his frog, standing up to (unsucessfully) the Trio. We love this kid, and you've shown us why. The interactions between them were priceless, and you did a wonderful job of foreshadowing canon without beating us over the head with it.

Lovely little piece; so glad I read it!
Julia Claire chapter 1 . 4/23/2010
I really, really enjoyed this. I loved the way you fit in the oranges and lemons prompt, and also all the different bells. I also enjoyed the part with Harry and the very last line. Poor Neville! I felt so bad for him!
xabandonedaccountx chapter 1 . 4/21/2010
A beautiful story, the ending was quite sad. I like how you bought Harry in and linked to future events.
Dejsha chapter 1 . 4/21/2010
This is a beautiful story, its really sad and I liked the poem. I've never heard of the poem before I don't think, but I really enjoyed the story:)

Princess Gillybean chapter 1 . 4/20/2010
"he knew it was the sweet- turn -sour peel and the blending of notes."

I love that line. This was really beautiful. Poor Neville, he really had a hard time. I love how you wrote him and Augusta.
Bad Mum chapter 1 . 4/18/2010
This is great. I love Augusta telling Neville not wuite the truth, adn him almost realising it. And tying it to Harry and the future at the end was a masterstroke.