Reviews for Candle Light
Rosenkavalier chapter 1 . 2/10/2011
I awwwwwwwwwwwwww'd all the way through. It poses a believable answer to a haunting question. I love Enjolras's explanation... it's so in character. He can't be stone-hearted all the time. Beautiful. Grantaire as a lost sheep is a lovely image, I think.
Bakura From School chapter 1 . 11/24/2010
Beautifully written as well. Fabulous job. I feel like I should reread it 2 or 3 times just get more and more understanding each time. So you're in luck.

Merci beaucoup.

hollybridgetpeppermint chapter 1 . 5/26/2010
Very nice! I do have to say thank you for writing something that doesn't get into slash-I wish more people would write simple friendship. (...and yes, I know that's somewhat hypocritical coming from an author whose main genre is fluff...but in this fandom, I prefer family or friendship fluff...)

Anyway, quite apart from that, this is very well-written! I love the explanations-they make so much sense! Not only Enjolras' letting Grantaire stay, but also E's dislike/fear of G... Very true to life; amazing job! As someone who's pretty darn new to the world of Les Mis, I can't pretend I know a lot, but it does seem like they're fairly in character. I do love seeing more deeply into Enjolras' character, and this is one of the only fics I've read so far that explores the whys and wherefores of Grantaire's character, too (I mostly read humor fics, in which he's often the comic relief; that's great and all, but comic relief characters are, almost by definition, two-dimensional-at least it often seems that way to I don't often get a chance to see his character explored like this). Thanks much for that!

Overall, very well written, and I love the psychological explorations! Thank you!

ColonelDespard chapter 1 . 4/28/2010
A very nicely crafted and thoughtful little vignette, addressing a question I'd wondered about myself - why does Enjolras allow Grantaire to remain in their circles? The easy (and, if misused, very glib) answer would be "because he harbours a subconscious desire for him!" This offers another perspective. There are some unusual dynamics going on there, and this is plausible.

Minor typo (and I know you know this already, as I suspect you're more up on the Revolutionary period than I am), but it would be "Hébertist" rather than "Herbertist", as in a follower of Jacques Hébert (I noticed it because that sneaky extra "r" seems to sneak in when I write the word too). It always amused me that Grantaire would proclaim that - I wondered if he was trying to appeal to Enjolras' more radical leanings! I'm not sure about his Constitutional remarks, either, but I know that's what Hugo wrote.

Nice work on Combeferre, too - more nuanced than many who chose to emphasise his warm humanity and not his sharper edge. I can easily see Combeferre challenging Enjolras on this point.
Shekiah Rosay chapter 1 . 4/22/2010
Very nicely done! I like this new dimension of their relationship... it seems very neat and plausible. If anyone would be that honest with himself regarding his own feelings, it would be Enjolras. Favorite quote:

"Yes, enough to find a hat by, but the light of the dawn is better."

So true. Thanks for this beautiful piece! :D
Insanemistosingsmore chapter 1 . 4/21/2010 that's deep. I love it with all my heart, and it has even inspired me slightly for my own four seasons arc...Grantaire and Enjolras are winter!
Mam'zelleCombeferre chapter 1 . 4/19/2010
Oh the imagery and the dialogue was beautiful. Well done.
Fiwen9430 chapter 1 . 4/18/2010
I really like the concept that you've developed here of Grantaire once being like the rest of the Amis, and Enjolras allowing him to stay as a symbol (which he tends to do for all the Amis, while keeping them personal). The symbolism with the candle flame is well put together , and you can see how close Enjolras and Combeferre are as friends by their conversation. It is a pretty thought-provoking piece, and I think ties in nicely with the reconciliation in front of the firing squad.
Aurelia chapter 1 . 4/17/2010
Hey! Found your link on Abaisse.

And I am glad for this Enjolras-Grantaire backstory you created. It sounds so plausible, and yet painful. I like the idea of Grantaire being the firebrand once, and Enjolras and Combeferre's thoughts on the matter. (For some reason, your fics have this uncanny knack for mirroring some of the situations I'm confronted with).