Reviews for The House on Maiden Lane
yogacat chapter 1 . 5/5/2010
I loved this. So much in a one shot. Sorry you didn't make it to the final round. I didn't either. :(
bmango chapter 1 . 5/5/2010
antiaol rec'd this over twitter and I had to check it out. amazing work, bb - i love the idea and the back story of Ethan and Beth. Very creative and well done. -b
jarkin33 chapter 1 . 5/5/2010
Lovely story - this story was intriguing and interesting and the flow was excellent. Wonderfully written and in my opinion should have made it to the top 15!

Thank you for sharing!
justbri chapter 1 . 5/5/2010
This was really a fantastic o/s. I loved the flow and the progression. The storyline was intriguing and unique and something that kept me interested the entire way through.

The details you wove in were great...the year of Ethan and Beth's deaths, the old white house in the woods being an ancestors, all the tiny pieces that fit perfectly worked so well.

I'm going to put this on story alert cause I'm really hoping we get at least a second part to this...well done. :)

~Bri
Canyaceme chapter 1 . 5/5/2010
Very sweet, very touching. Loved it.
AbruptlyChagrined chapter 1 . 5/5/2010
Oh no!...this story is too good to just leave it there!
You seriously need to make this a full story! You are a wonderful writer with a vivid imagination and the amount of detail and the pacing were just perfect.
AlixMaret chapter 1 . 5/4/2010
Sorry to see this didn't make it to the top 15 because it was definitely among my 3 favorites in the first round. I just had to come back and review to let you know how much I enjoyed your story - besides, it's worth a second read. I hope one of the judges picks up on it.

There's so much more to this than the lemons.

I love the unique atmosphere you create and the overlapping love stories. They are bitter and sweet: passionate and, ultimately, redeeming and hopeful. The gang feels a bit like Scooby Do and company, minivan and all. LOL. Ethan and Beth, on the other hand, are heart-rending. And Bella and Edward? They're somewhere between the ridiculousness of teenagers and the victorian heartbreak - breathtakingly suspended.

The story has its own haunting voice and reminds me (in all the best ways) a bit of hwimsey's "The Lost Boys" or (another excellent one-shot nominated for an Eddie) "Copper Lily" by . There are some similarities in the premises, but mostly it's the fact that the fictions create not just three-dimensional characters, but whole worlds in which they move with rules and relationships that bind and define them. There are consequences and love that transcends them.

Random favorite line (because there were a few):
"It probably didn't look so scary in daylight, but with just the headlights from the car illuminating it, the sagging front porch and faded paint on the old Victorian gave it the air of Miss Havisham's wedding cake, the overblown opulence decayed and neglected."

Thanks for a great read!
nitareality chapter 1 . 5/1/2010
Fascinating, great story, very passionate.
nicnicd chapter 1 . 4/27/2010
I loved this. so interesting!
bookjunkie1975 chapter 1 . 4/27/2010
Oh my gosh, this story was so well told! I found it intriguing and moving...I have goosebumps after finishing it! Really well done...thanks so much for taking a chance and writing something so very different for this contest!
letmesign chapter 1 . 4/26/2010
I read this earlier, but I don't think I reviewed it. At any rate, this is one of the most unique stories I've read in the fandom, not to mention the most intriguing of all the entries for the contest you've entered. Thank you for taking a risk and posting something totally different! I loved the intensity you created in these characters, and that their connection wasn't entirely about the physical act of the necessary dry hump, but more so about two souls reunited. I loved it!
ReDish chapter 1 . 4/26/2010
cool
shiny silver grl chapter 1 . 4/26/2010
What a lovely story, thank you :)
Luereetwilitejunki chapter 1 . 4/25/2010