Reviews for Greylag
Guest chapter 9 . 2/4/2013
This story is amazing. I didn't think that metroids could eat fruit, but I suppose it's possible. I damn near cried the first time I read this story, and after reading it a second time, my heart aches a bit less, but I'm blinking away tears as I write this. Who knew that mere words could be so powerful? I feel inspired to write something of my own about the baby metroid, but I doubt I can measure up to this beautiful story of the love between mother and child.
This last chapter was a bit of a mystery to me. Having never been through a similar situation, I can't imagine what Samus might have been thinking, what she was going through. Samus thought about metroids as she flew her ship back to the BSL research station. She seemed to hate them, all save one. Her last thoughts, that "one of them got into her," and, "No, I got into it," before falling unconscious are an interesting coincidence for her, though fully intentional on your part. One of the X had just managed to find its way to her, and a vaccine made from a culture from her precious baby brought her back to the world. I can't pretend to know the full meaning of this.
Now, her baby is part of her. "So this was where you were." Is there something real, left of her baby? Physically, the metroid is part of her, but does it go beyond that to something more meaningful?
I cannot fully express how appreciative of this story I am. There is a great deal of depth, and I feel at once one with these characters, and a poor, sad spectator, greedily longing to know more, and yet fearing greater pain of loss.
I have rarely been one to open up, to love anyone fully, fearing the pain that could come when I lose them; at the same time, I know that I am missing something, and regret shying from others for that reason, knowing that I am robbing myself. I have been this way ever since my first pet, a fish; at least since its death, I have had trouble wanting to love anything, so much did I dread the pain of loss; other pets have come and gone, and a few of my extended human family have also passed, and each time I feel regret for trying to avoid attachment for all the pain it could inevitably bring me. This story speaks to me; I wish to remember it, and at the same time, I do not wish to think on the sorrow it brings me.
I feel I should spend more time with those I love; I wish to play with our dog, to hug my surviving grandmother, to put my arm around my sister... to tell my friends and family that they mean everything to me, but I am still afraid.
Loss is not something that a person forgets easily; its sting lessens with time, but always will the pain return, even as we comfort ourselves when we think on our good experiences. Now, though, I consider the old advice anew, that, "it is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all." For this renewed perspective, I cannot thank you enough. I will certainly think on this, but I do not know how I will approach life differently; I am certain I might, but I haven't a clue how.
Anyways, excellent story. I look forward to reading your other works.
idk12345678910 chapter 3 . 12/7/2010
"I don't think Metroids are able to feel physical sensation," he said, "so whatever tests we do to it, it won't matter. They are only parasites, after all."

Erm , i'm pretty sure there's something called the hypocratical oath.

I think what they did was they took the DNA of general ripper , and the most stereotypical scientist to come up with DR. RIPPER , THE SCIENTIST WHO WILL STOP AT NOTHING FOR HIS RESEARCH!
Py687 chapter 9 . 9/21/2010
Oh God, this is the best Metroid fic I've read yet (at least on par with Kefka Floyd and Insomniac By Choice and maybe two more).

Man, it's just sad how the Metroid larva had to die after saving Samus. Makes me want to play Super Metroid.

Anyway, so yeah, awesome fic. :3
Khaures chapter 7 . 6/3/2010
Y'know, this was really interesting - I never expected to see a hatchling-centered Metroid fic so good - especially the part with fruit - and the jar - okay, I admit it...

I cried...just a little.
GDeacur chapter 9 . 4/28/2010
Strong. You've really convinced me that Samus feels for her "baby" of sorts... and a nice wrap-up with the cause of all these dreams.
GDeacur chapter 3 . 4/27/2010
Hey, this is great! Why haven't I found this story yet?

I'm loving your use of the English language so far, and seeing Samus mothering the little metroid is quite pleasant. I'll keep reading...
PopeOfMuffinism chapter 8 . 4/25/2010
im not very good at reveiwing fics so i'll just say this. It was one of the most beautiful beutiful and touching metroid story i have ever read, the ending acually had me in tears 100/10
Thug-4-Less chapter 9 . 4/25/2010
This was a sad, but sweet cap to the story.

Good job.
Thug-4-Less chapter 8 . 4/24/2010
Man, you just had to tug the heartstrings a little worser, didn't you? Poor Samus. All lonely. This did bring back some memories. Sweet, sweet memories of a misspent youth.

Eff Team Ninja btw. Don't have any Nintendo systems, so I won't be Other M-ing it.

Thanks for writing.
Thug-4-Less chapter 7 . 4/23/2010
Why is it that your descriptions are the best during scenes designed to elicit emotional distress?

You're a damn sadist!

Excellent work.
Thug-4-Less chapter 6 . 4/22/2010
You really are yanking on my emotion-strings, aren't you, Moo-Moo! Damnit. It's such a sad story. Poor Samus and her ugly-ass baby. :sniffle:

Good job on the description of Samus getting the life sucked out of her. It felt like I was almost there, in the helmet, with her.

Thanks for writing and Happy Super-Special Birthday Time for you!
MungoJerry chapter 4 . 4/22/2010
This is really ringing with the leaked Other M opening we had to watch. Makes me tear up a little, since I tend to make weird maternal attachments. XP
MungoJerry chapter 1 . 4/22/2010
Ee! Greylag- I knew it! I just read about them in a book. :D This looks sweet and fun so far, just keep an eye on your grammar. There are a few missing words/articles- a quick read through should fix it.

Happy writing!
Thug-4-Less chapter 5 . 4/20/2010
And I was so looking forward to reading about Samus shoving her cannon up his butt! Curse you, Moo-Moo!

Anyway, you love twisting my niblets with cliffhangers, don't you? Damnit! I like Samus' and Ridley's hateful dialogue. Especially when he used her full name. That was a nice touch.

"Norfair, was, as ever, the predestined battleground." -You don't need that comma after Norfair.

Besides that, it looks good.

Thanks for writing.
Thug-4-Less chapter 4 . 4/19/2010
The author is pretty lazy and what a freakin' cliffhanger. That freakin' Ridley. Gr.

Go, Samus! GO!