Reviews for Erring on the Side of Caution
Rosage chapter 1 . 2/11/2012
I think the match up of Oswin and Fiora is an interesting one. His having more experience than her both in duty and love, and the parallels between the two of those things, made for nice comparisons. Fiora being unsure of herself was sweet, as was Oswin's gentle reassurance. A tender moment that didn't slide into being saccharine. Nicely written. :)
SpeedDemon315 chapter 1 . 4/29/2010
Fiora and Oswin...never thought about but it could work. They sound so cute together. You always have the artistic knack for bringing up unmentioned pairings and making them work flawlessly and beautifully.
Xirysa chapter 1 . 4/22/2010
Aw. Oswin and Fiora. It makes me feel kinda... Warm and fuzzy inside. C:

So, this was a sweet piece. Serious, but sweet. I like.

One thing I thought was a bit weird, though, was the fact that there's not too much indication of the two of them standing near each other.

BUT. THIS. LINE.

["Exactly." He gave her a meaningful stare; "I will always err on the side of caution when it comes to the safety of people I care about." The toe of his boot settled against her own, and he bent his neck down, pressing his forehead against hers.] Ohgkaldfhkghladlfkhjsdfh. That is all.

[Xirysa]
Pen and Paper71 chapter 1 . 4/18/2010
I think that this is cute. The romance is quiet and subtle here, which make sense considering this appears to be the start of a potential relationship.

And I feel the need to add that I really like how you write Oswin in this. _ While this is not a pairing that I care for personally (although I could potentially see it working), I do wish that there was more to this.

Anyway, very nice.
Gunlord500 chapter 1 . 4/18/2010
Hey tharr, Kitten Kisses! I saw this on the front page of FFn so I thought I'd revuu At first I thought this was overly short, but then I saw it was a 'microfic' so I suppose the length is acceptable, then Anyways, even though Oswin and Fiora don't support (at least I think they don't) you do a good job of portraying a relationship between them convincingly, at least given the constraints of writing a microfic. Good work! :D
Wyrmseeker chapter 1 . 4/18/2010
All right. I don't need to tell you how much I like crack pairings, so this is nice in that regard. The romance seems kind of abrupt, though. We don't receive any hint that they have feelings for each other until "The calluses on his fingers were rough against her cheek," almost halfway into the fic. And that's a very forward thing to do when you haven't given any indication that you're interested in someone; besides which, we don't get any description of him actually touching her, just how his fingers feel when he does. It's the same thing later on, when "The toe of his boot settled against her own," despite not hearing anything about him moving towards her at all (I mean, yes, she was really close to him, but he was facing away from her, and suddenly his forehead's against hers?). Aside from the arbitrary nature of their positions, I like the descriptive passages in here; they make good use of aural imagery, punctuated by the line about how the "sky seemed to have nothing to say," contrasting aural descriptions with visual ones. On the other hand, they make Oswin's opening statement seem like it's out of nowhere. How, exactly, did he go from stew cooking to assassin? I know that he's got thought processes going on, but it still feels like a shock if those processes aren't presented to the reader, only their end result.

I like that you're using a unique pairing here, but unlike some of your other works, that uniqueness seems to go unused. The dialogue and actions feel completely arbitrary and unexpected, leaving the reader to fill in the gaps. What's more, you could basically switch Oswin and Fiora for any two characters in the game, switch a few lines around, and it'd work just as well. We don't really get an idea of why they're attracted to each other or why they're willing to protect each other, and without those feelings to empathize with, the story falls basically flat.

I know I seem overly critical, and I'm sorry for that. You've got a lot of great stories; this just doesn't happen to be one of them.