Reviews for Darkness Falls
LillyZ chapter 16 . 5/5
Is this the end? I know it's been years, but I wish you would continue this story.
LillyZ chapter 4 . 5/4
I admit I've never heard the accounts of British soldiers of liberating camps, so it is intriguing to me to read you have chosen their perspective.
I can say this: the stench of death no longer lingers in the camps, at least the ones I have been to. A year and a half ago I was in Poland and visited Auschwitz I and II (Auschwitz- Birkenau), Miedanek, and what is left of Treblinka (only monuments). The spirit of death, however, lingers still and I believe forever will, in all three places as well as the ghettos (I've been to several of those as well).
LillyZ chapter 3 . 5/4
When Aushwitz was released the allies did not have cameramen with them to document it. Three weeks later they did, and tried to reenact the liberation. One soldier said that the way the Jews looked when they were filmed was so fake; the hope in their eyes was fake and the little weight they had on their bones after recieving more proper nousrishment for three weeks was fake. He said nothing about the people in the film was true to the real liberation.
Hope was the most dangerous thing in the Holocaust. It was a double edged sword. It could be the only thing keeping you going, and it could be what killed you, when you finally lost it. The story is wonderful so far.
LillyZ chapter 2 . 5/4
Many, many Jewish people lost their faith in God in the camps. A survivor once said that there was no God in the ghettos. The horrible part is that some of the orthodox Jews believed the Holocaust happened because our people (I am Jewish also) lost their faith and intermingled into the 'normal' european lives. They believed the Holocaust was punishment for losing our faith. But dear God, what kind of twisted way of thinking is that? To be killed so horribly because of dwindling faith? It should have been inconcievable for those who believe in a merciful God.
As such, Bella is unique in her faith and her resiliense. I admire that.
I think it was in 1935 or 1938 when Torah books, books by Jewish authors and about our faith were gathered and burned. Forgive me, for I do not remember who said this, but a man said of that eventWhere books burn, humans will be burned too." There is no doubt that Germany's land is soaked with blood.
Of all the camps, Sobibor is considered the cruelest. It was of the first to be built as a death camp. Not a concentration or work camp like the others, but a camp where people were sent strictly to die. It is a mere miracle Bella got out of there; most people were killed upon arrival or within a very short time frame afterwards. Even when the living Jewish occupants rebeled, many were killed. Out of the hundreds of thousands who came to the camp, only seventy (!) survived.
LillyZ chapter 1 . 5/4
I am greatly thankful and admire your dedication to the story and the preservence with which you approached this subject. It means a great deal that you have taken the time to write such a thoughtful author's note. It must be difficult to write a story such as this. You probably did not grow up with the stories of the Holocaust and certainly without the Jewish culture. But it is important for all humans to know this atrocious story, hard as it may be, for this horror was carried out by humans and unfortunately could happen again.
SeleenaMarieDragonMistress chapter 1 . 3/16/2014
The US government in all their wisdom has come up with a law called Stop Online Piracy Acts (SOPA). It’s basically a blanket law to stop ALL forms of online piracy including fan fiction, fan art, and fan videos! So they punish those that they want to punish. BUT they also punish all of us who express our creativity through writing, drawing, and recording around something that may not belong to us, but that we LOVE. There is a Petition on WE the People that ends on the 19th of March that needs 100,000 signatures. So far we have 69,430.
If you want to sign, go to:
.gov/petition/stop-sopa-2014/q0Vkk0Zr
Guest chapter 1 . 6/10/2013
If you read the diary of Anne frank that the place were she died form typhus
Guest chapter 1 . 6/10/2013
Iia
MeltedGlacier chapter 16 . 5/12/2013
lovely story! i hope you'll continue writing it... it's been awhile since you've uploaded a new chapter, and i really hope you'll finish this fic :)) thanks for sharing this with us!
frlarsson chapter 16 . 4/5/2013
Love the chapter, ) the progress and Emmetts proposal.
Happy Friday!
/Linda
FeyLadyGrey chapter 16 . 3/17/2013
Hmm, I'm slightly disappointed that the focus of this story seems to be on the romance between Bella and Emmett after all, as the WWII themes of the beginning were what really attracted me to this story in the first place. It feels like the aftermath is almost nonexistent, which I don't think was really the case for anyone in those times. But I guess these two deserve to have their happy ending, and I can understand why they would want to focus on the good things in life after what they have been through.
FeyLadyGrey chapter 4 . 3/16/2013
Wow, quite the multilingual genius she is, for someone so young. I think Bella is starting to seem a bit too Messiah-like for my tastes, but we'll see...
FeyLadyGrey chapter 3 . 3/16/2013
Reading this story I have realized that no matter how many books I've read and documentaries or films I've seen on the Nazi concentration camps, I have never really thought about what the prisoners there might have been thinking about the future. I guess they must have focused on survival, one day at a time and so on, but imagine if you thought the war might last for another twenty years, or that your captors would be on the winning side. How could you find the will to go on, especially if you know/think that your home and loved ones are gone?

A very thought-provoking story so far!
FeyLadyGrey chapter 1 . 3/16/2013
I have never before (in ten years) seen this topic covered in any fanfic in any fandom. I have to applaud you for taking on such a demanding and difficult task. So far I'm impressed, but slightly confused as to why Bella is so important to the other prisoners. Hopefully this question will be better answered in the following chapters.

Your writing is very good, especially considering your age, but you might want to pay particular attention to tense. In this chapter, the first paragraph is in the past tense but the rest are in the present tense. Finding a good beta is always a good idea.

In any case, I'm very intrigued to see where you'll be taking this story. I wonder where Emmett will come into the picture. Is he a prisoner like Bella, one of the guards, with the Allied troops (my guess), or something else entirely? I guess I'll have to keep reading!
hathawayjackson chapter 16 . 11/24/2012
i love tis story. please update soon