Reviews for In the Time Capsule
Ryoji Mochizuki chapter 1 . 10/2/2017
huh
guest chapter 1 . 1/13/2015
I stumbled across this and I applaud you for taking ye olden days of pokemon and incorporating almost all of them into this fic. I started out with the RBY generation, briefly played Crystal that was owned by a friend but not enough to remember the new stuff, and then jumped to gen 4 games once I was old enough to get a ds and stop replaying the gameboy games over and over again that were sitting around and it was a huge shocker. I remember thinking, "there's breeding now? Genders? Abilities? Hold Items? Movesets that go beyond level 55? Trading that doesn't take forever with the stupid link cable? Holy cow!" I think I caught most of the references of the old games in this, such as the Mew glitch (I think) and the horrible exp share that I always stuffed into the PC box instead of keeping it in the bag because I would have to scroll through texts of "_, with exp. share, got _ points!" for each pokemon on my team. And ah, breeding. What a relief to not have to wait forever with a link cable and trade with a friend to get a pre-evolution form of a pokemon you already got!

Beside the nostalgia and the opportunity to rant about how players nowadays should stop complaining about the gameplay in current generation games (I always get weird looks since most people nowadays don't remember or didn't play the originals) I really enjoyed reading this! I like the idea of exploring Red's mindset of the new things he's being exposed to and how you incorporated in-game mechanics smoothly within the story. What I like best is how you did a comparison of their mindsets at the end and made Red like his world still; he seems the type to enjoy what he has despite what others have. Thanks for writing this!
manga-neko-96 chapter 1 . 1/3/2014
This is so awesome! I love the perspective you took on the time capsule. When I trade between my Red and Gold versions, this is going to be running through my head! :3
Raichu chapter 1 . 10/6/2012
I thoroughly enjoyed how you interpreted into a story the logical consequences of taking the game literally.

I can't understand why the other reviewers complained that this was weird. Of course it's weird. Maybe they haven't actually played the first two generation games...
olihmajor chapter 1 . 1/20/2012
That was weird, yeah :P Anyways, this is an interesting take on it, and although I haven't played those games, it sounds plausible, even with the time traveling thing XD Awesome!
kaori kuni chapter 1 . 8/8/2010
Cool
Waveripple of Team Sunrise chapter 1 . 5/26/2010
You know I've enerv thought about the whole time capltsle thing til now. I know that in Crystal the Girl player looks like a boy...man that would be embrassing...
A Midsummer Night's Dream chapter 1 . 5/14/2010
Man...when I played the first generation games in an emulator it was, in my astonishment, hard!I salute to those who actually finished those...the games kinda seemed to require much more thinking than the second generations since I just walk and walk until I hit something in Pokemon wonder my starter Pokemon got so strong...I walk too much on the patches of grass and I never considered running at that , I guess I don't have the patience anymore..

Okay...well, your fic just got me into rambling mode because of how much it reminded me of the huge difference between the old and new 's thought(?)-provoking...
Snoaz chapter 1 . 5/6/2010
I really like the idea behind this, it's intriguing and... well, just very nice :) You could have added more details, though; now it's mainly dialogue. It'd have been nice if there had been more description and feeling, know what I mean?

"Oh, by the way," he said, as he stepped into the time capsule, "the receptionist said 'hi.' Good night."
Why does this confuse Red?

Also, it doesn't really make sense to me that they don't remember each other a few years later, because they DO remember the event when they step out of the Pokecenter...

I still very much heart the concept, though :D

~Snoaz
ChocolateTeapot chapter 1 . 4/26/2010
This story is really cool and bizarre.
deathleader chapter 1 . 4/24/2010
so col
Farla chapter 1 . 4/22/2010
Huh.

I really like both the concept of this and how their discussion plays out, but the ending's pretty weak. You bring up a lot of the programming oddness that goes beyond simply time differences, but then you have time progressing normally as if things just gradually shift, rather than explaining the mechanism or going with some alternative interpretation. And the idea they don't recognize each other is bizarre, and doesn't even seem to add anything.
Mythical Moonrabbit chapter 1 . 4/21/2010
You are weird. Very evocative though and kind of disturbing :P