Reviews for Lingering Memories
Miss Laurentia chapter 1 . 5/19/2012
Sophy H - I've just seen your story about Harry, courtesy of the Cranford Boots and Bonnet's Brigade community.

Your story strikes a particular chord with me, as it was the same themes of Harry's passion for learning and his special friendship with Mr Carter, that inspired me to write a few Harry/Carter one-shots a few years ago. You've motivated me to dust them off and I will post here shortly.

Sophy H, although your story is short, it says so much about the mixed emotions Harry would have had once he'd achieved his goal of going to school; his passion for learning and love of books. The love of his special friend Mr Carter. And yet remorse at not having thanked him or sad 'Goodbye'.

Theirs was a special relationship that quite moved me throughout the series. Harry and Miss Galindo's continuing relationship in 'Return to Cranford' also made a big impact on me. Hmmm ..time for a story on that too, me thinks. Hope to read more Cranford fanfic from you Sophy H!
Deweynumbers chapter 1 . 5/16/2010
An affecting little picture of Harry. I think he would remember Mr Carter in that way and be, as you say, 'filled with remorse' for not telling him directly how grateful he was.
Katie Duggan's Niece chapter 1 . 4/24/2010
This brought tears to my eyes, but then again, Mr. Carter's death in the final installment of Cranford reduced MANY of us to tears, I assure you, and still does, every time we watch the DVD/re-broadcast.

It broke my heart to see Mr. Carter go into that cowshed and try to engage Harry in conversation, while Harry - oh, the irony - is punishingly though understandably cold to the only person who has ever really tried to help him. Then Mr. Carter leaves the book of poems behind and departs, as though nothing is wrong. What we don't know then is that Harry will never see Mr. Carter alive again. Just heartbreaking.

I think you've done a good job showing what Harry might feel after Mr. Carter's death, and perhaps you might wish to explore that further. Also, did you see the sequel to the series, or read "My Lady Ludlow," and do you have any thoughts on those?

In any event, I'm thrilled to discover another Cranford story here.