Reviews for All She Wanted To Do
Quod scripsi chapter 1 . 3/6/2011
I'm bending the Fan Fiction rules and uploading a second review, simply because I consider this to be one of the very best stories in the WTWTA section. I sincerely hope the author may consider uploading additional stories related to WTWTA, especially Alexander. Anyone that understands and appreciates Alexander will no doubt agree.
Jon Holland chapter 1 . 12/28/2010
I enjoyed this retelling of what I consider to be one of the most important scenes in the film. Alexander is my favorite character and I very much wanted Max to show him more attention. True, during the final beach scene as Max leaves an understanding look passes between him and Alexander, but I was sorry Max didn't offer to shake Alexander's hand, or even give him a hug – not to mention thanking him for keeping the secret of his non-kingship from Carol. In this little story we have kindhearted Anna to the rescue. Interestingly, Dave Eggers wrote a book after the film was completed in which he makes several key changes, one of which is this scene between Max and Alexander. In the book Max brutally attacks Alexander and injuries him, and when he later finds Alexander in the fort he apologizes and attempts to clean the wound using the tail of his wolf suit. Perhaps Dave Eggers wanted to include a similar scene in the film but was overruled by Spike Jonze – who knows? I'm not suggesting that this author got the idea for her story from the Eggers novel, only that great minds think alike and she too realized the profound potency of changing the scene to include the action of tending to Alexander's wound. I'm certainly no writer or critic but this story is simply and beautifully written, and while reading I was able to completely visualize the action. This is due to the writer's excellent use of descriptive and imaginative prose. Despite the brevity of the story I felt that I quickly and completely understood Anna, including the sorrow she felt that things had not gone well despite her good intentions. The Alexander in this story is somewhat recognizable as the Alexander in the film (I mean the vulnerable, disregarded and ultimately likeable Alexander one finds when he is not being petulant or snarky), and the author has perfectly captured his pathos. Rather than merely offer an apology, Anna backs up her words with deeds, just as we should all attempt to do upon learning we have wronged another, even if only accidentally. She renders what little aid she can and it's heartbreaking to imagine this may well be one of the only times Alexander has experienced kindness and tenderness. Several of the details in the story made a great impression upon me: "she could feel his arm trembling slightly" and "Alexander heaved a big sigh, and as Anna looked up at him, she found him to have closed his eye". Wonderful – and genuine! I thoroughly enjoyed this engaging story and even felt a little emotional by the end, not something that an adult male wishes to admit. Perhaps Alexander represents all the sadness I feel for the ignored, unappreciated, undervalued and even abused animals and people in this world. How rewarding to read a story in which a simple act of compassion brings much needed encouragement and comfort to a hurting creature. I hope the author will submit additional stores, especially one that reprise Anna and detail her interactions with Alexander and the other Wild Things. Well done!
Lil' Pink Coupe chapter 1 . 4/29/2010
Aww, this was so sweet! Awesome job!
Nightmare-belle chapter 1 . 4/26/2010
Aw this is SUPER good! We need more WTWTA fanfics! If you want, you can check mine out as well! This is really good!