Reviews for Senescence
This story has such a quiet and solemn beauty to it. Saitou and Kenshin's relationship always intrigues me deeply. Despite their marked differences in beliefs, they both are men that lived through the thick of action during the Bakumatsu and carried the memories with them, well into a new age when those ways became obsolete. In a sense they are both men out of time, who had no choice but to adapt to the tide of changes and find their places in the world. There is powerful irony in the fact that those that slew the most, in the end live the longest to bear the weight of their sins and loneliness in an age that no longer understood them. Saitou and Kenshin know each other on a level no one else alive could measure, and you convey that so very well in this short piece. Many kudos to you.
TOSoldtimer chapter 1 . 6/8/2014
And darkness falls... I do believe both Saitou and Kenshin will welcome the darkness when it comes.
A very sad and evocative vignette. I read it through 3 times. Thanks.
Silverfox588 chapter 1 . 1/30/2014
This is wonderful.
skenshingumi chapter 1 . 9/14/2013
I love the way you communicate this deep bond of 2 old veterans, the serious side to "The Sharp Edge". Not friends but connection and understanding that goes deeper and stems from surviving through times closer friends might never understand or appreciate. Well done.
caseyedith chapter 1 . 4/24/2012
This is extremely good. I love your descriptions and imagery. Great word choices and flow! A lot of fun to read. Kenshin and Saito's interaction at the end was really appropriate, as well as Saito's characterization. And when you mentioned Clint Eastwood's character in Grain Torino, I immediately agreed with you! I think he'd look more or less exactly like that! haha, gotta love Clint, he's so versatile.

Fabulous writing!
Ekun-Asha chapter 1 . 6/20/2011

You might have veered, but still...

It holds a touch of the classic: Living between eras, periods, ages, or revolutions...

I love the statement: Written in violet...

So true for the keen, for the discerning, for the perceptive.
Lady Red 88 chapter 1 . 12/17/2010
Wow, this was a nice little dive into the depths of Saito's character. I really enjoyed it and I think I can sympathise with him. Sometimes I feel like that when it comes to people younger then me - that they'll never quite understand who I am as a person even though I'm not all that old yet. I wish there was a bit more fiction out there relating to Saito but never mind.

Thanks for the story and good luck with future projects.
sirensbane chapter 1 . 10/10/2010
The world he lives in no longer has room for him. The woman he loves is dead. And the only person who still knows him is an old, old enemy. Beautiful...
xxangel221xx chapter 1 . 7/30/2010
Great work! you kept Saitou in character, and painted a realistic image of what could happen in the future. I very much admire your writing- keep going!
LadyRhiyana chapter 1 . 5/29/2010
Saito's character comes across so clearly, even old and tired. His connection to Kenshin, their understanding, bound together by their shared past while the world changes beyond all recognition - I very much enjoyed this concept and your beautiful phrasing. Thank you for sharing.
Syolen chapter 1 . 4/25/2010
This is beautifully written, and so poignant.

Kenshin said in the manga that he had felt closer to the members of the Shinsen Gumi than to some of the Patriots because they fought with their sword for their ideals, just like him. I love that, once again, he is the one who understands Saitou better.

Well done! :D