Reviews for A Form of Escapism
majose chapter 4 . 5/5/2010
Seriously? Now I am all nervous to find out if James is going to go psycho on her.
In my opinion it was of poor taste of her to ask Edward about his wife knowing his story. Even if she thinks that he might be seeing someone else.
elizabethan chapter 4 . 5/5/2010
Bella’s reaction is typically that of an abuse victim, and of course it would seem like an overreaction to Edward – this is well done. Loved Bella’s internal monologue, though – battling with whether or not to reveal she recognizes him.

Of course, the lemon drizzle – a bit of ‘lemon’ early on, right! But Bella is already fretting over James’s reaction, and I sense that is going to cause her a great deal of trouble as the story progresses.

What a complex Edward you’ve created in just a few paragraphs – brash as first, polite enough to invite her for tea, and yet completely as ease with using profanity around her, then standoffish when she asks about his wife, asking Bella to leave.

Yes, what a place to leave off indeed, but I don’t think Edward gave her away – I think perhaps he either didn’t answer his door, or gave James the brush-off. Well done, Flubs!
quietruby chapter 4 . 5/5/2010
EK! ok, between you and icy, you're gonna make me have a heart attack! oh lord. i just want her to leave james. like that's all. can you make that happen in the next chapter? and then edward finds out about the beatings and kicks the shit out of james and then bella and edward live happily ever after with a pretty pink bow tied up neatly round the story...yes?

btw, excellent writing! i can picture everything quite clearly. and you are descriptive w/o being overlty flowery, kwim?

well, done flubs! now, see what you can do about my request, k?
Hongkongphooey chapter 4 . 5/5/2010
Aww I worried over nothing, he was kind after all. Intrigued about the back story with his wife. Here's hoping he keeps her "secret".

Another great chapter, I look forward to more.

HKP
golden49 chapter 4 . 5/5/2010
Dun dun dun...shit! So, are you going to be evil, like Icy, and do the cliffies?

I'm so worried for Bella. I hope Edward didn't tell James anything that will get her hurt.

Still hating James BIG time!

Thanks for another captivating chapter. I hope you have a great weekend Flubbles!

Gwen
x
anais mark chapter 4 . 5/5/2010
And now I want cake, which is not an option.

Lovely chapter, I could cheerfully beat you for hanging us out and leaving us. But then I definitely would never find out what happens...

Thanks for the update.
Yours,
AM
lippylou chapter 3 . 5/4/2010
Oh Flubs

This is getting better & better. Can't wait to see where we go from here. I loved the scene where E comes out of the house and trips over the cake. You are doing such a wonderful job with this story. I'm still mad that you didn't tell me you were writing, but I think I'll forgive you because it's so good.

lizconno chapter 3 . 5/4/2010
Odd comment - but I hope abused women who read your story as a form of escapism realize that there is an escape better than just reading. Abuse is such a bad thing, and you're not highlighting in a prurient sense, which is a good thing. :)

~lizconno
/s/5496816/1/A_Labor_of_Love
lizconno chapter 2 . 5/4/2010
People need to learn to use a dictionary if there are terms they don't recognize! :) Still enjoying.
lizconno chapter 1 . 5/4/2010
I leave terribly short reviews, and I read offline, so I rarely leave them. But seeing as I've been where you are, I wanted to make sure to review each chapter. I'm enjoying this form of escapism, thus far. :)
lippylou chapter 2 . 5/4/2010
Hey Flubs

I love your writing and this story. Poor Bella. You know what, it takes an awful lot for me to ever feel sorry for Bella but you have achieved it. I think I can guess who's going to move in next door. That should make things very interesting.

Thanks

lippylou chapter 1 . 5/4/2010
Hi Flubs

I'm cross! Why didn't you tell me you had written something? You kept it so quiet, you know I would have read it as soon as you posted it. I'm so proud of you and all our twitter gals who are posting stories, you're all so brave.

I loved it, I just loved every second of it. I love the English setting, it doesn't bother me in the least. I can feel Bella's despair & desperation at her situation. It was a great opening chapter. I'm looking forward to reading the next one, so don't even think of not posting it.

Well done you!

Hoosier Mama chapter 3 . 5/4/2010
flubbles:
I'm enjoying your story. It's a good beginning. Can't wait for more.
Hoosier Mama
TamoraJ chapter 3 . 5/4/2010
I'm not sure what to think of Bella. She's a pathetic character, but it's so hard to feel sorry for her when she's doing nothing to escape her situation. She doesn't scrimp and save to have a way to escape James, she scrimps to buy novels!

I know that many battered wives find it very difficult to leave, both for psychological and emotional reasons and because their husbands leave them so little access to money and support. Still, there are ways to accomplish anything. Aren't there organizations, shelters, and groups in the UK to help women in these situations the way there are in the US? Even with little education, it's possible to do a lot of things. Why doesn't Bella go to the library or an internet cafe to find help, or to look for a job, or find a divorce lawyer? James obviously doesn't care what she does during the day as long as her "chores" get done and she's there to be a coat rack when he gets home.

Most abused women eventually get to the point where they're willing to do what it takes to get out of the situation. Either that or they end up dead. I watched my sister in law get to the point of leaving an abusive husband after about 8 years of misery. She did have family support, but had started lying to us to cover up what her life was like. She was ashamed of having such a "failure" of a marriage. But she finally left-on her own, with no help from family (because she had refused to let us know what was going on-it had supposedly gotten better). Once everyone found out, she got plenty of help. But she flew 2500 miles away from her husband, with all four of her children before that happened.

So even though I know such situations exist, I find it very difficult to be sympathetic to Bella. Really, if this story is going to be realistic, neither Edward nor anyone else is going to be able to help her until she decides to help herself.

Though Edward! Holy cow! He sure doesn't look much better than James right now. He's understandably angry, but the difference between a normal decent person and an abuser is what they do when they're angry. The fact that Edward would shake an unarmed and defenseless woman, even if she IS a peeping Tom, does not speak well of him. I'm sure he'll apologize, but most abusers go through a cycle of anger/abuse/apology and promises/honeymoon over and over again. Not very many of them are constantly abusive. And I can just imagine what James will do if he finds out.
MoniNP Monica Nopi chapter 3 . 5/4/2010
Hi! ... It is such a good story, I don't know why you were so nervous! ... I really feel for your Bella ... did E see the cake? ... I really look up for updates.. love u hon... MoniNP from twitter.. :)
4,672 | « Prev Page 1 .. 297 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 .. Last Next »