Reviews for A Form of Escapism
lizconno chapter 3 . 5/4/2010
Odd comment - but I hope abused women who read your story as a form of escapism realize that there is an escape better than just reading. Abuse is such a bad thing, and you're not highlighting in a prurient sense, which is a good thing. :)

~lizconno
/s/5496816/1/A_Labor_of_Love
lizconno chapter 2 . 5/4/2010
People need to learn to use a dictionary if there are terms they don't recognize! :) Still enjoying.
lizconno chapter 1 . 5/4/2010
I leave terribly short reviews, and I read offline, so I rarely leave them. But seeing as I've been where you are, I wanted to make sure to review each chapter. I'm enjoying this form of escapism, thus far. :)
lippylou chapter 2 . 5/4/2010
Hey Flubs

I love your writing and this story. Poor Bella. You know what, it takes an awful lot for me to ever feel sorry for Bella but you have achieved it. I think I can guess who's going to move in next door. That should make things very interesting.

Thanks

Annette
lippylou chapter 1 . 5/4/2010
Hi Flubs

I'm cross! Why didn't you tell me you had written something? You kept it so quiet, you know I would have read it as soon as you posted it. I'm so proud of you and all our twitter gals who are posting stories, you're all so brave.

I loved it, I just loved every second of it. I love the English setting, it doesn't bother me in the least. I can feel Bella's despair & desperation at her situation. It was a great opening chapter. I'm looking forward to reading the next one, so don't even think of not posting it.

Well done you!

Annette
Hoosier Mama chapter 3 . 5/4/2010
flubbles:
I'm enjoying your story. It's a good beginning. Can't wait for more.
Hoosier Mama
TamoraJ chapter 3 . 5/4/2010
I'm not sure what to think of Bella. She's a pathetic character, but it's so hard to feel sorry for her when she's doing nothing to escape her situation. She doesn't scrimp and save to have a way to escape James, she scrimps to buy novels!

I know that many battered wives find it very difficult to leave, both for psychological and emotional reasons and because their husbands leave them so little access to money and support. Still, there are ways to accomplish anything. Aren't there organizations, shelters, and groups in the UK to help women in these situations the way there are in the US? Even with little education, it's possible to do a lot of things. Why doesn't Bella go to the library or an internet cafe to find help, or to look for a job, or find a divorce lawyer? James obviously doesn't care what she does during the day as long as her "chores" get done and she's there to be a coat rack when he gets home.

Most abused women eventually get to the point where they're willing to do what it takes to get out of the situation. Either that or they end up dead. I watched my sister in law get to the point of leaving an abusive husband after about 8 years of misery. She did have family support, but had started lying to us to cover up what her life was like. She was ashamed of having such a "failure" of a marriage. But she finally left-on her own, with no help from family (because she had refused to let us know what was going on-it had supposedly gotten better). Once everyone found out, she got plenty of help. But she flew 2500 miles away from her husband, with all four of her children before that happened.

So even though I know such situations exist, I find it very difficult to be sympathetic to Bella. Really, if this story is going to be realistic, neither Edward nor anyone else is going to be able to help her until she decides to help herself.

Though Edward! Holy cow! He sure doesn't look much better than James right now. He's understandably angry, but the difference between a normal decent person and an abuser is what they do when they're angry. The fact that Edward would shake an unarmed and defenseless woman, even if she IS a peeping Tom, does not speak well of him. I'm sure he'll apologize, but most abusers go through a cycle of anger/abuse/apology and promises/honeymoon over and over again. Not very many of them are constantly abusive. And I can just imagine what James will do if he finds out.
MoniNP Monica Nopi chapter 3 . 5/4/2010
Hi! ... It is such a good story, I don't know why you were so nervous! ... I really feel for your Bella ... did E see the cake? ... I really look up for updates.. love u hon... MoniNP from twitter.. :)
exitstageleft chapter 3 . 5/4/2010
I would love a piece of Bella's Lemon Drizzle cake or at very least the recipe - I even have my own lemon tree - I'm willing to share LOL!.

Yikes authorward or simply angryward has made quite a first impression - can't wait to see how their interaction turns out - I hope he is a little more friendly and hasn't smashed the cake (I need to stop going on about the cake already). Really feel for Bella during this interaction - her husband beats her and now the person she admires is holding her in a forceful position. It appears that both Bella & Edward have pasts that they need to work through - this is not going to be a simple road for either of them to walk. But I'm looking forward to the ride!
exitstageleft chapter 2 . 5/4/2010
So I hate James he really is quite the bastard - can't wait till Bella gets rid of him (fingers crossed this will happen in the story) he needs a good hiding himself.

I love how exciting Bella is when she realises her favourite author is going to write a new book - excitement I too share when my favourite authors (and now fanfic author's) write more.

Favourite line: "Good Morning Isabella, how are you today?" chirps Joan, she owns the Post Office and is also a full-time maintenance engineer for the local rumour mill.

Love your definitiions for those who may not know - very thoughtful.
exitstageleft chapter 1 . 5/4/2010
Congratulations on beginning your own story. I really enjoyed reading this chapter even though Bella's life story is really one of heart-ache being married to a controlling bastard. I'm keen to read more.
Ryder Jude chapter 3 . 5/3/2010
Nice chapter. Your writing seems to unfold more depth into each chapter. The ending was sad, but right. Can't wait for more.
Ryder Jude chapter 2 . 5/3/2010
Gr, james...he's such a coward.
Ryder Jude chapter 1 . 5/3/2010
Lovely writing. I'm interested in this story, and seeing it unfold. I'm also a new writer, so I can understand.
majose chapter 3 . 5/3/2010
OMG! I couldn't help but laugh at the image of Edward falling on his ass! I do not like stories that include abuse. I know it is a very complex issue but the helplessness kills me, so that might explain why you don't get as many reviews on the first chapters. Anyway, I really like your writing style and I am intrigued about the story.
4,665 | « Prev Page 1 .. 297 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 .. Last Next »