Reviews for Children of war
Ysaye chapter 9 . 12/12/2014
Infiltrating the Yakuza, the latest hobby for your free time? Interesting... :)
GinsengH chapter 5 . 4/17/2014
Great story concept. I loved the backstory and getting to see the character's thoughts. Especially Tomoe's as she was such a silent character in the manga/OVA.

The fight scene here with Yoko though was a disaster. I believe that she is actually younger than Kenshin was when he started as an assassin and does not have even half the training he had at that age. Despite these facts the reader is supposed to believe that she can evade him for any amount of time? Kenshin's very style is focused around speed so it does not matter how good her instincts are. A moderately trained young swordsman is not going to last 2 seconds against the most skilled swordsman in the land. You could make a comparison to the fight with Tomoe's husband, but even that was nothing like this. He simply kept getting back up against as though he were immortal, but the actual battle with swords was decisive blow after blow.
This fight should have been admirable from the perspective Yoko's bravery and commitment to her desired vengeance. Instead it was a distracting annoyance that has left a scar on this story.
Blunablue chapter 3 . 10/15/2013
very nicely written! the kenshin-tomoe part sensitivly explored the "real" value Otsu provied for both of them: enjoying a quiet live far from the madness of war and - discovering the real value of happiness. and kenshins realization that he can't change the world with his sword alone... this part alone would have been a nice oneshot :)
I'd also loved to learn alot about the Shinsengumi, their very similar sense of "duty" compared to battousai, and Yoko, as damaged as Shinta, learning the way of a killing-sword. thanks for this wounderful chapter and excuse my crappy-latenight-english
blunablue
Blunablue chapter 2 . 10/15/2013
Hi again :D
This story get's even more better! I loved to explore the hitokiri-kenshin, how you describe his feelings during his assassinations, as well as Yokos shock. And it's nice to rediscover scenes from the anime/manga as well as insight-nowledge of the bakumatsu-time. Chiba-sensei, wasn't he the same teaching Sakamoto Ryouma? Also you brought up Matsudaira quality stuff! :) thanks alot.
The only thing that bothers me is that Kenshin didn't shove the child away so that she could'nt see anything... "he had become what he wanted to slay" is a shocking realization that makes it even more harsh to read. Kenshin's really down on the trail to madness, until Tomoe appears...
Blunablue chapter 1 . 10/15/2013
Hey Rei-chan!
I just came across your ff and the first chapter really caught me :) I like how you introduced Yoko, i loved reading about the meeting with Sano, the fight, the night, and the events in the dojo... to make a new character believable in only one chapter is hard work, but you've done it pretty well :) i'm curious to read on!
greets, blunablue
Kari-Kateora chapter 1 . 9/4/2013
Alright, I'm in love. This is extremely well characterized, fun to read and suspenseful. I really want to see where you take it!
skenshingumi chapter 8 . 9/2/2013
Brilliant! And what an exciting chapter. Sano is going to be mad as hell that anyone had to come and rescue him. I can't wait to see him get his own back. This is also the perfect antidote to Kenshin's self recriminations. It gives him something positive to do. Great idea. I didn't see this coming at all, by the way.
t42n24t2 chapter 9 . 8/31/2013
Just started to read this today. It is very powerful. Looking forward to more.
Ysaye chapter 8 . 8/7/2013
Uh, oh... just what's behind that Milkadzuki thing? This situation so doesn't look good at all...
Kenshinotaku Himura-chan chapter 8 . 8/3/2013
Thank you! You wrote a chapter with something I've been wanting to write for years!(sano or kenshin being the damsel in distress)
Ysaye chapter 7 . 8/2/2013
Whew... finally it's over. I wonder what Kenshin is up to now?
skenshingumi chapter 7 . 7/26/2013
I continue to really love this story. I love how this is still the wanderer but with the deeper side revealed. The automatic way he used a thrust and then was shocked and appalled by it was a brilliant touch. I love how you show the complexity without cheapening it with overbearing dominance. Truly an excellent study of the effect of life in extremis.
Zepharia chapter 7 . 7/26/2013
I love this story! Keep up the good work. :)
Renaisty chapter 7 . 7/26/2013
It is always sad to see the effects of a civil war on a nation's children. I love how this story is all about that one traumatic experience leading up to a confrontation with the man who caused it. And the fight scenes had no problems from where I'm standing. :) I'm curious, however, to see where this is going. She's so broken... can she really pull herself from the edge? I can't wait to see!
Kenshinotaku Himura-chan chapter 7 . 7/24/2013