Reviews for The Menagerie
Ella Greggs chapter 1 . 7/13/2010
I really liked how you wrote this, very poetic and phylosophical. River's really tough to write, but it would make sense that she knows some zoology (she seems to know some of everything) so I like how you had her approach this from that perspective. I throught the animals you picked for each of the crew fit them well, and you explained the ones I'm not so familiar with (Dart Frog, Fox Bat) well enough that I could still follow the points you were trying to make about what characteristics the crew shared with these animals. Also liked the insight that Simon (the dog) was so used to his leash (his old life of order and obligation) that now it's gone he still longs for it, so created another by tying himself to River. Neat, unusual and economical POV.
Defying Gravity 728 chapter 1 . 5/3/2010
This was wonderfully written! :) You chose perfect matches for each character. I really loved this. :)
Cede-Lede chapter 1 . 4/27/2010
Lovely. All the animals were chosen very well for who they represented.
Malinara chapter 1 . 4/27/2010
An unusual take but I liked it! I liked how you matched each character with an animal and how you explained their meaning )

Keep it up ;]
Jadzia Bear chapter 1 . 4/27/2010
I’m a zoology girl, so I thought this was just brilliant! First we start with the hydrocarbons, then a nod to the fact that something like 50% of our DNA is identical to that of worms. We’re all just animals, all just atoms and energy.
I love that you used the scientific names (and used the correct punctuation – upper case for the genus, lower case for the species - thank you!) and that each animal is a metaphor for each member of the crew.

Zoe, of course, is perfect as the panther, the sleek and silent huntress, and I love that Wash is a bat – suits him perfectly! In fact, the more I think about it, the more I love each and every one of the animals you chose to represent each crew member.

I wanted to cry when I realised that Simon was the show dog that can’t see his own freedom. Poor Simon! So poignant! And the notion that perhaps River would have been a dolphin, if the Alliance hadn’t turned her into a poisonous Dart Frog.
Thanks for a beautiful fic!