Reviews for What we did in Operation Sealion
Ted Sadler chapter 2 . 2/6
I too hope that you can continue this very well-written story.

I'd like to mention an incident that my father described many years ago. He still had a rifle when he returned from Dunkirk in 1940 and was issued with the 5 rounds of ammunition you mentioned "to ward off the invasion force", which was expected soon. He was given a few days leave and went to his mother's house in Lancing, near Shoreham Airport in Sussex. A lone Heinkel bomber appeared the next day and flew around low and unopposed, looking for a 'target of opportunity'. "I can hit that", he thought, loaded his 5 rounds and took aim. The neighbours gathered round and one said "Look! He's going to shoot!". Just then, his mother appeared and shouted "Cecil! You put that thing down immediately and come indoors!". "Yes, mother." was his muted reply, much to the onlookers' disappointment. 'Dad's Army' was truer than you might think.
sophy kratides chapter 1 . 5/19/2013
if you ever write any more of this make sure you get rid of mrs pike the old harridan
go away kerreh chapter 2 . 5/5/2013
this is fab could you update please and make it a happy ending for wilson
Becky999 chapter 2 . 4/14/2013
Please continue with this. It's interesting becasue I've always wondered what it would be like if we had lost WWII.
AnotherJounin chapter 2 . 6/11/2011
I realise this hasn't been updated in a while, but I really hope that you will continue this story. I watched Dad's Army a very long time ago and it's awesome to see some serious fanfiction about them. You've really got everyone's characterisation spot on- Frank the odd but enthusiastic, Wilson the brains of the unit, etc. Really enjoyed reading this!
Royalistic chapter 2 . 7/20/2010
wow! I love it! Shame Frank dies though :( Can't wait to read more :)
cklammer chapter 2 . 4/30/2010
This is getting more and more fascinating.

It does not matter how many rounds for his rifle the average Home Guardsman had - it mattered how much fuel and ammo the Royal Navy Fleet and Royal Air Force had in the Summer of '41 ...

I really do enjoy reading this - just one mitpick: The Webley was a revolver and not a pistol. The only Webley pistold were air pistols.
cklammer chapter 1 . 4/27/2010
I usually do graze on the other side of the fence but I feel I should review this one. But before I review let me make some remarks on the Volkssturm:

(1) Volkssturm, Flakhelfer and Hitlerjugend are largely seen by contemporary Germans as nothing more than atrocities committed by the Nazi party against their own people. Evidence based on (western allies') soldiers' testimony indicates that the presence of the Volkssturm caused (western) Allied soldiers to adopt a shoot-first-and-sort-out-the-remains-later-attitude causing many additional civilian casualties.

(2) Volkssturm, Flakhelfer and Hitlerjugend were either compulsory or conscription-based unlike the British Home Guard which I undertsand was entirely a Volunteer organization.

(3) (Older) Volkssturm members often had no choice but to fight since the consequences of refusal would have been instant execution and the arrest of the refuser's immediate family by the Gestapo. Ever heard of Sippenhaft?

(4) Younger below-military-age Volkssturm members joined directly out the Hitlerjugend - teenage boys indoctrinated since the age of five or six in the Woelflinge and the Hitlerjugend ...

Now for the review:

Nice chapter - pls keep updating this.