Reviews for Alekhine's Gun: A Sarek and Amanda Story
jojowriter85 chapter 24 . 6/28/2012
Absolutely Brilliant! I can clearly see your intelligence and the amount of time you spent in doing your "Homework" for this story. I was wrapped up in this world you had created of old and new. The Amanda and Sarek characters were NOT children as they like to write them in other stories. Their first love scene was fantastic, one of the top ten in my book. It was real and "adult", not sloppy and "hot and heavy". Your passage of time was not choppy and confusing. Your writing is fluid and clear. I cannot wait to read more of your works. If you ever decide to venture into writing a novel, i will buy it! Excellent!
T'Riva's Sarek Sanctum chapter 15 . 1/11/2012
Sorry, forgot one more thing that threw me. San Francisco is generally warm-this week has been in the 70's (no suprise at all). The coldest it generally ever gets is the mid-50s.

The only time of year when it is generally too cold is the summer(mostly windy and foggy)and winters most anywhere else are generally more comfortable. The wind cuts like blades at times.

There are ridiculously varied micro-climates. My friend, all of a mile away called to whine that she was sick of the pouring rain, and where I was (1 mile away), I was tired of the bright sun and heat. I live two blocks from Golden Gate Park and it's usually very temperate. Of course, the closer to the ocean the wetter, colder and sandier. I was miserable at 41st Avenue (about 7 blocks for the ocean) but love the weather at 34th Avenue (only 7 more blocks east)! Well, I think I just told you where I live. Hopefully, not too many others read that. Not sure if others have access.

Marin (County)-just across the Golden Gate Bridge-has the same types of micro-climates (usually baking San Rafael and freezing in Mill Valley. Very annoying dressing for cold or hot weather to go shopping and finding exactly the opposite weather where we headed there.

Anyway, enough babbling. Back to reading your story. Oh no! I'm running out of chapters! I hope there's more coming. Can't remember if this was complete yet or not.

T'Riva
T'Riva's Sarek Sanctum chapter 3 . 1/11/2012
Hi! I'm really enjoying your story but just thought I'd give you an FYI about some of your references for a more authentic feel (and not to annoy the crankier "Bay Area" residents).

I have lived in the Bay Area (short for San Francisco Bay Area for about 28 years now and have never heard the term "Friscans." Perhaps that is a reference to residents of San Francisco in some other part of the country/world? But if anyone used that term here, most people would stare at them as if they had carrots sticking out of their ears, or cringe and laugh (the same goes for "Frisco"). The only term I have heard used is a "San Franciscan", "San Francisco resident" or "native"(and most have severe limitations on that last). Some would say that I'm not even that (with a sneer), since I wasn't born here.

I also graduated from Berkeley (U.C. Berkeley) and was confused by the use of "college". I had to check on the Internet to see if there was such a school. There is on the East Coast.

Anyway, when anyone is talking about universities, or referring to where they work/speak etc. if they are "known in the field" (a notable) or talking locally, they just say "Berkeley". If someone is talking generally to someone in another state or further, or not about schools specifically already, they say "U.C. Berkeley", as in I work near U. C. Berkeley to someone in Portland, perhaps. In formal circumstances, like a resume/curricula vitae it would be "University of California, Berkeley" or speaking: "the University of California at Berkeley." Also,"the Berkeley Department of Anthropology" would be "Berkeley's Department of Anthropology."

Anyway, I am not trying to split hairs or be annoying, and I apologize if you feel I am, but it's like an Illinois resident hearing the "s" when someone says their state name.

Otherwise, I am very much enjoying your story and hope you've tried some of mine. Will check out what of yours I may have missed as I scour the site for more Sarek stories.

Thanks!

T'Riva
GratefullyDead chapter 24 . 12/4/2011
Can't remember if I posted to your before, but I LOVE this story. I would so love to see the Powers make this into a feature film. Really excellent story.
starfleetdream chapter 18 . 11/11/2011
This is so hot! Great climax (sorry) for how they come together. Love how they move from dislike to love in this; it's one of my favorites.
T'sian chapter 24 . 6/30/2011
Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful story, I have enjoyed it immensely! It is well written, inspiring and touching. Christine from Denmark :-)
LovelikeHope chapter 24 . 6/29/2011
I really liked your story. This was one of the best Amanda and Sarek stories I've read on this site. It was short and sweet and encompassed everything that I thought their relationship would be. You didn't over-dramatize anything, which was great, because so many people make it out to be something that it's not. You stuck to the characters and made the story believable.

Great story that I am so glad I read!

P.S-

On my favorite list!
Wmst chapter 18 . 4/10/2011
The build up between the two characters A/S, the lovely secondary relationship between Silek and his wife T'Neural, the brilliant backstory of Earth's impending financial doom and its debt to Vulcan before switching to Federation Credits, all within canon possibilities and lovingly brought to life! The gentle exploration of the different manners of Vulcan living and fluidity in their understanding of logic and the world was insightful and enjoyably believable. Much love and many thanks for this story from your newest fan!
elrond peredhel chapter 18 . 4/7/2011
Hey there, I have a terrible habit of only reviewing the last/latest chapter, but I felt I HAD to let you know how utterly fantastic this story is so far!

Whilst I've always thought of Sarek being somewhat, how shall I put it?.. Confrontational when it comes to diplomacy, the twist on his emotions you use is different, and completely true. I can see where each new nuance of the characters comes from, and that is fantastic!

One small thing I'd like to point out specific to this chapter- you mention they get to her apartment on the 18th floor... A few chapters ago she was living on the 14th floor! Perhaps it would be wise to choose a number and stick with it? ;)

Well, I'm off to finish reading the story, and I will most certainly be checking out your other works!

\\/ LLAP, EP
GratefullyDead chapter 19 . 3/26/2011
Last chapter and this one were both very well done. I do like Sarek & Amanda stories where the author doesn't emasculate him or turn her into a whining ninny. I look forward to reading the rest of the chapters. Thanks so much for sharing this.
R4v3n Kn1ght chapter 24 . 2/3/2011
I had only meant to simply read a chapter or two of this to "get a feel for it" as it were. Well, that idea went right out the window once I got past chapter 2!

I've been staring at the screen eating up every chapter for the last few hours and thinking, 'I should really go to bed soon,' but again just kept on hitting that next button!

This was a fantastic story! I'm a huge fan of Sarek, and love to see fics that explore the origins of how a Vulcan Ambassador ended up married to a Human Teacher. This did not disappoint, and was completely worth the eye-strain and the staying up to finish reading this! Thank you so much for writing it!
emalico chapter 24 . 1/28/2011
Plz plz plz write a sequal about Spock there rnt enough of them!
fantasmaalineal chapter 24 . 1/26/2011
Na'shaya, oLadyFangs:

Dan-neruk klem-bosh nash-ve na'vaksurik fanfic

Dif tor heh smusmah

Nartayalar

s'Zelfham T'ama (FantasmaAlineal)
Marumae chapter 18 . 1/13/2011
Now that-was one of the coolest and hottest things I've ever read *in awe*. Good job! :D
Marumae chapter 5 . 1/13/2011
jalkdfj FFFFFFFFFf I LOVED THAT OH MY GOD. Amanda didn't back down I like the way she handled herself and I love your characterization of Sarek and it's FANTASTIC. That chapter just totally sold this fic for me :D.
217 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 5 12 .. Last Next »