Reviews for Chrono Trigger
Darth Litarius chapter 20 . 9/30/2013
An open letter to the author:

First off I would like to say how much I enjoyed this story. I most enjoyed the moments when you deviated from the canon. When I read the jailbreak scene I wanted far more of that. The battles though wre definitely a weak point. Our heroes took things like fireballs to the face without flinching? It didn't feel right. I like how you tied Murray into the end. And the V-8 hitting Ozzie from chapters away. Those were definitely highlights.
Anyhow, great job overall. I hope to hear from you in the future.
Landofdragons chapter 20 . 9/5/2012
I would like to thank you for the great job with this novelization. I enjoyed reading it. I would have liked a bit more in the battle scenes, but then I remember how fast the battles were for me when I played the game. Thank you.
007arujo chapter 20 . 10/23/2011
truly epic... sniff* manly tears*
Ohfortheloveofpete chapter 8 . 5/5/2011
Magus has been defeated at last...but it looks like their adventure isn't over yet! XD
Ohfortheloveofpete chapter 7 . 5/5/2011
About Azala...according to the DS remake she's actually a girl lol...just wanted to let you know...
Ohfortheloveofpete chapter 6 . 5/5/2011
They're going in the prehistoric, eh? Better be careful not to create a huge time paradox...
Ohfortheloveofpete chapter 5 . 4/19/2011
Magus summoned Lavos...what was he thinking?
Ohfortheloveofpete chapter 4 . 4/19/2011
Wow the future sure sucks...good thing Crono and his friends are going to die from old age long before the Apocalypse occurs XD
Ohfortheloveofpete chapter 3 . 4/19/2011
I warned Crono not to loiter in public, but did he listen? NO!
Ohfortheloveofpete chapter 2 . 4/19/2011
Yakra is no more...wonder if the Fiendlord has to say anything about that? XD
Ohfortheloveofpete chapter 1 . 4/19/2011
A moment of silence for the poor Bob...
Counter chapter 1 . 7/9/2010
To Yincira:I'm not the author but hoping to give a devil's advocate.

Regarding the trial: The main reason they would have wanted the trial is because of the costs and panic caused by her missing most likely.

The accusation could be that he kidnapped her but then got cold feet. Either way, someone actually ran a legal run through of the trial, it turns out even with her as a witness it wouldn't much matter, prosecution could used a Stockholm syndrome excuse, or that he hadn't told her that she was kidnapped yet.

As for Chrono's morals. We've already seen that punishments are especially harsh on the system, apparently committing any felony results in death. It's worse than "Eye for an Eye" As for the thieves, there were originally 3 of them, 1 ran off but the other two decided to fight him with the intent to kill, as per the norm moral code, he kills them. As for the recent situation Chrono wasn't the one didn't move to knock them out, the others did, for all we know the only reason he didn't kill them was that they didn't give him a chance too.
Yincira chapter 5 . 7/5/2010
One bit of crit I haven't said before, then I might be done with the mayor issues.

The hero has a rather dubious morality. Since we never get an idea what his opinion on fighting is (does he enjoy it, can he think clearly, does he dislike it, does it give him an adrenaline rush, etc) there's a gray patch whenever a fight begins, and that leaves the fact that apparently, Crono measures the value of life by how human something looks.

"Most of the guys out there are human haters."

They have an awfully good reason, if everyone acts like Crono and lops off the heads of imps cause they tried to rob him, when he could have just knocked them out. Repay theft with death? Hardly fair. He thinks absolutely nothing of killing sapients, he just does it as if it's the most normal thing ever.

This became more apparent because suddenly in this chapter, he merely knocks down those two and doesn't kill them. Kill people trying rob him, but spare people trying to kill them? There's no point earlier where he is depicted as changing his mind about his racial views, so it comes across as a characterization inconsistency.

"That is another thing I cannot tell you now. Perhaps later."

I understand this probably is part of the game it's based on, but that really doesn't make sense. Why can the mysterious helpers never disclose information before a dramatic moment occurs, even though it's usually more logical to do so?

"Robo easily snuck up behind Flap and knocked him ut. Lucca attempted to do the saem to Guido using her gun handle,"

Don't you mean "Marle attempted to do the same..." instead of Lucca? Lucca isn't even in this time zone at this point.

"she turned and smiled, showing that she had been aware of the situation the whole time."

This is tagging. A minor gripe, but here it's kinda blatant here. The smile already shows the audience she is aware of the situation, it doesn't need to be spelled out.

"Tiny red and blue lights started flashing under his skin, and he stood up straight, his eyes burning with hatred. "If only the great Magus had succeeded in summoning Lavos all those years ago!"

Again, probably part of the game, but how does he have the time to provide exposition when his body is internally tearing apart? This might perhaps sound better with some added indication that he is in pain.
Yincira chapter 3 . 7/5/2010
This actually is improving. It still reads like something of a guide, but the humorous parts make up for that.

The trial system makes positively no sense, why would he need to go to jail for disappearing with her, and why can't she testify as witness? Maybe there's laws for that, but they weren't brought up and explained, and Marle didn't even try to get her version of the story heard. Considering how outspoken she is otherwise, that doesn't make much sense in regards to her character.
Yincira chapter 2 . 7/5/2010
This is better, since the characters actually feel real. It still could use some description, especially when they see something new like Lucca's machine.

But once he returns in time, there's a hitch in feeling real. All sorts of weird things happen and he barely responds? Where did he get a wooden sword, how did he learn how to use it? Worst yet, he kills two sapient beings and is just fine with it? There's not even any description of how the battles goes, despite it being his first, and if it's not his first, there's no mention of this being usual fare.

"Crono struck up a friendship with a ragged-looking man with one eye."

Show, don't tell. Especially if this character is character is supposed to be important later.

"He nodded and jumped into the fray, then began whirling his sword around him at high speed. The effect was augmented greatly when Lucca pulled out a device that shot a small fireball onto the tip of the sword, creating a flaming wheel oof death. When Crono stopped, three Naga-Ettes were dead."

I know this is a video game adaption, but this was really, really bad as a written action scene. For one thing, the enemies don't respond. Don't they spread out, no furniture or statues are getting in the way, they apparently just stand there and watch him wave his sword around. Also, whirling around a flaming object doesn't do an awful lot, especially if you don't hit anything. And if you hit anything, that kills the speed. In any case, it's boring cause it doesn't show anything, and may be a case of being too loyal to the source material. Kills any sense of tension.

Overall though, this is definitely better than the stiff and awkward prologue, which may scare away potential readers with its beige prose.