Reviews for Hush, Here Comes A Whiz Bang
harpomarx chapter 1 . 7/23/2013
Very nice...
Goldleaf83 chapter 1 . 10/7/2011
I've always wondered about that "jam" Bunter and Lord Peter were in: this is a brilliant version of it. You catch both men's characters and voices so very, very well: it must be particularly hard to do Wimsey, with his habit of constantly using and adapting quotations to fit the current moment. The ones you pick sound *exactly* like what I would expect from him; just about as good as reading Sayers herself - though I don't think she would have tried to tackle a first-hand view of the war. I'm glad you did: this is clearly based on first-rate research, even down to the awful physical details: "For a moment he saw everything clearly, the clotted slime of the walls, the light glittering on the dark water, and Wimsey's face, unexpectedly white and strained. He'd sounded fine, in the darkness, as cool and chipper as ever, but he didn't look fine. He was staring at something, a dark lump half-submerged in the oily ooze." And, one of the best lines I've ever read about WWI: "But luck was hard to define in the looking-glass world of the trenches, where flares turned night into day, the living dwelt underground, and the dead rotted unburied on the surface."

I also love the way you've structured the story: though it took me a little bit to figure it out, I thought it worked perfectly once I saw the pattern of how you were interlacing the two episodes (being stuck in the trench after the undercover mission to German lines, and the point when Wimsey is buried by the shell). The two dovetail so seamlessly that it takes active reading to distinguish them, but the clues are clearly there if we take the trouble to read for them. Part of what is brilliant about it is just how frighteningly *well* the two do fit. And we see the roots of Lord Peter's shell shock in both, as well as Bunter's own stolid and unflappable character in the face of disaster. Both men wear masks for deep hearts beneath. Many thanks for a story that reveals that so beautifully!
Dickensian812 chapter 1 . 2/4/2011
Wow, that was terrific writing!

I loved the story about the shoe. That sounded like vintage Wimsey. :-)
Captain Weirdo chapter 1 . 12/17/2010
the inside of his head remained private

Love that line. And all the rest.

cw
DarkBeta chapter 1 . 6/7/2010
Grim as reality. The switching back and forth between the current crisis (Sargeant Bunter digging out Major Wimsey) and the past shell-hole is very skillful; a neat parallel between Bunter trying to rescue Wimsey in body, and in mind.

"The inside of his head remained private . . . a wall of impeccable manners that no artillery had ever been able to penetrate." Your focus on Bunter is wonderful, but every now and then you put in a very telling description of Wimsey. Proof of who knows him best!

"He exerted himself to radiate solid reassurance." And then, what really brings the Major back to himself is not reassurance, but a need for rescue.

Thank you again for a wonderful story!

db
smallrose chapter 1 . 5/15/2010
I love the style of this story - especially the little anecdote about Lord Peter and the size ten boots - but I'm a little confused. Were both Wimsey and Bunter stuck underground, or just Wimsey?
fledge chapter 1 . 5/10/2010
You are a real genius at this sort of thing. It's absolutely amazing how you describe a scene which is thankfully so very much out of a personal experience.

A bit ironic, isn't it, that it's called the western front even from the British pov.

Wimsey is fantastic and perfectly in character as always, as is Bunter. In this deplorably small fandom, you are certainly an outstanding writer.
Lokun chapter 1 . 5/6/2010
Thank you, thank you! This is BRILLIANT! ;)
I can't believe how great you are at writing these. 0-o I loved all Wimsey's lines! XD He's so much in character! It's exactly like reading some new un-published material from Dorothy Sayers. 3
I dearly hope that you'll continue!
Nans chapter 1 . 5/1/2010
Oh what a great story
I have been hoping for another Wimsey Bunter one and this just hits the spot
Thank for sharing and I hope for more soon
Nans