Reviews for The Way of Fathers
This was absolutely adorable and had me tearing up at the end
Firebird Scratches chapter 1 . 2/11/2015
I loved this. Every last bit. Don't know what else to say. ::hearts::
Spiritual Stone chapter 1 . 8/24/2013
This was WONDERFUL. There should be more Splinter/Father squee fics out there. XD
NixKat chapter 1 . 1/26/2013
Very nice.
princessebee chapter 1 . 11/28/2011
I have to confess... I've never really been interested in Casey. It's not that I dislike him or that I don't recognise his significance in the turtlesverse... he's just never really interested me. I'm glad Raph has someone to bromance with, but other than that, I don't notice if he's not around.

All that said, he's a sweet character with all his brash tough guy macho unhinged shit, and the obvious personality clashes between he and Splinter make for amazing dynamics if written well - which they are here, of course!

It's both a sweet and hilarious scenario and plays out beautifully with touching revelations and insights that make it a total treat, deftly handled and sensitively portrayed. I love your Splinter. He's such a boss.
R. R. Ten'ou chapter 1 . 5/12/2010
Oh Kame~ I've so missed your writing. This fic was heartwarming and somewhat enlightening. I enjoyed every moment of it.

My favorite line - "Fear is a tool your mind uses to prepare your body for what is to come." I've never really thought about it like that - but it's actually very true. Even for those of us who aren't ninjas. _ Thanks for sharing such a wonderful piece.
Sabrinasidd chapter 1 . 5/7/2010
This was an excellent story. Splinter and Casey almost NEVER get any moments of interaction and conversation between the two of them alone, so I always regard it as a special treat to see fanfic authors playing with these two characters bonding with each other. And I can also see how difficult it would be to create some kind of interaction or conversation between these two, because they have so darned little in common. Which makes me all the more appreciative when an author succeeds in creating a Splinter/Casey scene, that doesn’t revolve in talking about the turtles.

I liked seeing Splinter during his ‘down time’. It made me smile in amusement to see Splinter’s idea of relaxing within his own personal time involves yet more mediation and contemplation of the universe. It also amused me to see that Splinter cherishes his quiet time just like Mikey cherishes his loud, violent video games, and Ralph his loud, violent brawls. Splinter might not be very demonstrative or loud about his personal enjoyments, but I really enjoyed seeing him made a little more approachable by observing him during his personal time.

I think I was a little incoherent in my explanation? Sorry about that!

Anyhow, seeing Splinter enjoying his personal time made it all the more interesting to see him irritated, annoyed and peeved off about being interrupted during his ‘me time’. Even better was seeing Splinter carefully and skillfully hiding his irritation to address Casey. This is one of the signs of experienced parenthood, isn’t it? The ability to mask impatience and annoyance nearly to the point of infinity? Awesome!

LOL! Casey was beyond adorable when he began stuttering and stammering, trying to broach open his discussion with Splinter. Casey’s just too darned CUTE for words, LOL!

I loved Splinter for seeing that Casey had something truly serious and personal to discuss. Splinter was really great, the way that he skillfully settled Casey into place, giving him his full attention, and soothing Casey’s anxieties about this upcoming conversation. I especially enjoyed the way that Splinter applied his fatherly techniques on Casey, almost instinctively. Soothing, reassuring, relaxing the young man until he felt comfortable in Splinter’s presence.

Despite the title of this fic, Casey’s news still took me by surprise. I loved the way that Casey just blurted it out as if he was reporting horrible, dire, emergency news, something akin more to, ‘the Foot have trashed April’s apartment’, rather than amazing news about a pregnancy. LOL! Not that I blame Casey. Finding out about an unexpected pregnancy is a time for freaking out as well as celebrating.

I was as warmed as Splinter when Casey finally revealed exactly why he approached Splinter about this issue, and what kind of words and advice he needed from the old sensei. Casey’s words ‘you weren’t prepared to be a father either’ shows a level of deep understanding and empathy… AND it also reveals how Casey believes that Splinter did an amazing, stellar job despite his lack of preparation at the beginning of HIS journey into fatherhood. Casey looks to Splinter as the perfect example of a father figure, that he desperately wants to emulate, but has no idea how to get started on that.

Splinter’s news about how he wasn’t scared when he first took responsibility for the turtles took me by surprise, but it makes sense in retrospect. Splinter would have been following his instincts at that point… his newly discovered humanistic instinct to protect and nurture. He wouldn’t have understood or fully appreciated that he was taking such a major burden, duty and responsibility on himself… not when he first discovered the turtles. It must have taken years for Splinter to start thinking of himself as a ‘father’, and by that point, he was probably somewhat used to the idea.

Casey however DOES comprehend and understand the duties, responsibilities and burden that have just been set upon him… and he’s naturally freaking out about it.

Splinter’s advice about how Casey shouldn’t allow himself to be crippled by his fear was darned good advice! I liked how Casey caught onto the implications of the advice with relative quickness and ease, and understood that *preparation* was key in dealing with this fear.

LOL! Casey was too adorable for words when he asked for some ‘tips and tricks’ about being a father. As if Splinter has some magic advice that will make everything instantly better, comprehensible and smooth.

The best of the fic was when Splinter actually took Casey’s request for ‘magic tips’ seriously, and actually looked deep into himself, looking for some kind of magic formula that could be used to raise a child satisfactorily. I loved the revelation Splinter had upon realizing that any ‘formula’ and rule that he himself had devised over the years had been broken and shredded several times over, proving that there IS no darned formula that one can follow after all.

Even more beautiful and stunning was seeing Splinter reconciling his recollection of his sons as children to the adults they have become today. I loved, LOVED the way that Splinter can still see the child in each of his sons, the same child that he observed during their earliest years. I loved how all of those memories were so powerful that they brought soothing warmth and sharp pain, fresh as if it happened instants, instead of years, before now.

I would have loved, LOVED a flashback sequence of each other the brothers in more detail, but I’m just being greedy because I was completely enthralled and mesmerized by Splinter’s flashback of a younger Leo, and I wanted similar detailed flashbacks for the rest of the turtles as well ;)

I highly approved of the fact that Splinter’s flashback was NOT something sweet, cute, adorable and sentimental. It dealt with Leo as a child, but even so it was gritty, dark, thrilling as well as a little unnerving and frightening. I thought it was important and powerful to cover Leo’s first realization that the swords he was being trained to use are not ‘toys’, but deadly weapons, that are designed to draw life-blood from his opponents.

Actually I’ve sometimes wondered how Raph and Leo reconcile their honour and sense of sanctity for life with their bonded weapons. Donnie and Mikey probably didn’t have to deal with this kind of experience, considering that their weapons are NOT designed to draw blood, but Leo and Raph DID have to learn how to be both careful with their weapons, and yet also not squeamish about using them when necessary.

Now I’m really curious to see Raph’s moment of realization when HE understands that his sais are not toys either.

Anyhow, back to Leo. I loved how the readers (and Splinter) initially thought that Leo’s shock came from seeing his OWN blood spilling onto the floor. That he froze up when he saw te quick, steady flow of red coming out of his body. We can’t blame him for this since this is a very natural reaction, for children as well as for most adults who don’t deal with open wounds on a semi-regular basis. I actually feel faint and woozy myself at the sight of too much flowing blood in real life.

But then it turns out that Leo wasn’t shocked merely at the sight of his own blood, but at how easily and quickly those swords drew blood from him… and how quickly and easily those katas of his would slice through his opponents, cutting them to gory pieces. It must have been a horrible realization for Leo to realize that he himself was being trained as a weapon, capable of hurting people.

I was so glad to see Splinter didn’t deny Leo’s statements about how Leo was going to be inflicting wounds on other people… BUT he also made a point of telling his Leo and he and his brothers would ONLY be hurting people in self-defence. Leo might arguably be in training to be a weapon, but not a monster or killer. I was glad to see that Leo drew some amount of comfort from that. As much comfort as is possible at least.

In the end, I think Splinter’s advice was a great summation of his experiences… although perhaps far too vague to be a magic formula. I don’t know how much help Casey is going to be getting from that, but hopefully those words will recur in Casey’s mind when they’re most needed.

Thanks so much for the fantastic update, Kame. I’m sorry it took me while to reply, but work has been running me ragged lately, and I’ve only been able to handle reviews on the weekend. I look forward to more of your writing. Good luck.
Amicitia Revenant chapter 1 . 5/2/2010
Wow, this is too adorable. Casey and Splinter should have serious conversations more often.

My only real complaint is the Leo flashback. I like it, but it feels like a separate story. You have these short glimpses of Raph, Don, and Mike, and then this long section about Leo... The beginning of your story is great, the end is excellent, but it feels like you couldn't find the right transition from one to the other.

Also, two small errors:

"The blades are very sharp—you are lucky it is not worse," Splinter said sharply - I think you have an accidental Tom Swifty here.

He started to rise, but the Leonardo did not make a move to follow him - And a rogue article.

But mostly, I am delighted when people find continuity between the guys as kids and the guys as teenagers... too many people just write chibis as smaller versions of the Turtles we know. Thank you for this!
Kallasilya chapter 1 . 5/1/2010
This was perfect. I have no other words for it.

... I really don't. This will be a short review. P
wildhorses1991 chapter 1 . 5/1/2010
that was a very touching story
KriStALKaLEi chapter 1 . 5/1/2010
LOVED. I'm a huge fan of Splinter centric stories ESPECIALLY when focusing on his role as a father. There really aren't enough of them out there :(

I was almost sad to see this end. I really hope that you will consider making a chapter fic similar to "Bound: Interludes", so we can get glimpses of Splinter and life with his boys. Awesome story as usual for you ;)
Anesther chapter 1 . 5/1/2010
I LOVE this! The emotion you portrayed was beautiful and it unraveled so close to their characters that I had a stupidly happy grin on my face.
Near the end, I felt so much towards Casey and Splinter-those are wise words and you used many I understood deeply. This was profound in more ways than one and I enjoyed every bit of it! You are a spectacular writer and I can't wait for your next updates on upcoming stories! You never cease to strike me! :D