Reviews for What Hurts the Most
AnnieAltman88 chapter 1 . 1/31/2012
That was great. I think Gale's feelings were described with incredible accuracy. Good job :)
Aeyra chapter 1 . 1/16/2012
There's only one way I can describe this. Amazing.
taylorjeanjn chapter 1 . 1/3/2012
Okay, so I try to keep my reviews constructive and deep and whatever, but this is probably just going to be a lot of fangirling. You have been warned.

I really liked this! Angst is always great, and I’ve been sifting through Gale fics for about two hours now, trying to find something that’s well-written. This was totally worth the wait. Gale seemed totally in-character, and he managed to be swoon-worthy without ever becoming so sappy or romantic that it took me out of the fic.

The only bit of concrit I have is a little stylistic thing. I actually only saw issues with this sometimes, while other times it was fine, but I thought I’d mention it anyway. When you have someone say something and then add a dialogue tag, the dialogue ends with a comma and “he” or “she” isn’t capitalized.

So say you have this: "They don't always have bows." She protested.

It should be: “They don’t always have bows,” she protested.

Anyhoo. Onto my favorite lines! I have like twenty, so.

Everything was black and white and numb. –I just thought this was a really interesting description. I pictured everything getting blurry and silent and…I dunno. But it was cool.

Because I lost hope, I learned to move on from my father's death. Because I lost hope, I was able to gather the guts to go beyond the Capitol's bounds, I was able to find the determination to learn how to hunt. – Gale has such a unique way of looking at the world, but it makes sense. It’s so counterintuitive that giving up is what gives him the push to move forward with his life, but I guess when you’re living in a militant and violent world, it’s not like optimism is going to do anything for you.

If I lost hope on Katniss, I would learn to forget. – This reminds me of how Katniss dealt with leaving Gale behind, especially in Catching Fire. Seems fitting that they’d have similar coping mechanisms.

Which was foolish; why would I throw my life away like that? –I like this contrast between him and Peeta. On the surface, Peeta just seems to be the hopeless romantic who’d die for love and whatever, while Gale’s the realist. But obviously it goes deeper than that, and I think it has less to do with romance and more to do with responsibility and understanding your own place in the world. I don’t know if that made any sense since it’s like 4:00 a.m., so let me know if it didn’t haha.

The very first hunt was the hardest. – This whole scene was awesome. I could see the whole thing in my head, and I think how short and bittersweet it was really works.

And over and over again, I told her I loved her. I asked her of she loved me too. –Well, that was a heartbreaking line if I ever saw one :P

That's my girl. –This made me smile.

Stole the hands I held, the smiles and laughs I loved. – That was actually really poetic and good writing. And still not too mushy.

It sounds plenty arrogant but everyone knows that if I was in his place, I would be a lot better. – I’ve actually always thought that too! I’m a Peeta fan, but seriously, Gale would do really well in the Hunger Games.

I have four other mouths to feed. I can mope and watch them die, or hunt and mope at the same time. – This was one of my favorite lines in the whole thing. Gale really would tell himself to just suck it up, and while it is sort of a funny line, it’s kind of sad that he can’t even take the time to address his own feelings because he has so much weighing on his shoulders all the time.

I was promoted. From best friend to cousin. –I’m not sure if it was supposed to, but this made me laugh. I mean, it really sucks that Gale’s been waiting for her and missing her and stuff, but this line shows how stupid that whole cousin thing was. Peeta gets riches and fame and (seemingly) Katniss, and Gale gets…cousin status. That blows.

She didn't need me. –I’d never thought about this either. How their relationship is so tied into hunting and basic survival and helping each other that the whole dynamics are shot to hell once Katniss doesn’t need that anymore. It’s also really sad that he can’t see past the surface-level need she has to understand the fact that, emotionally, she really does need him even more than she did before.

Now that I think of it, what hurts the most is never knowing what could've been. –I’m such a sucker for strong ending lines, and this was a great one. Nice job tying it back to the title, too.

Okay, I think I’ve rambled enough. You did awesome fleshing out Gale’s character and gave a good glimpse into his mind that you don’t see in a lot of other fics.

Anyway, I was wondering, do you RP at all? :)
Evermore5105 chapter 1 . 5/8/2011
Aw, Poor Gale! :( I love him and Katniss together. But seriously, you're a Peeta/Katniss shipper? I honestly never would have guessed from the way you wrote this. Loved loved loved it, I just wish Gale got a few more happy endings in the Hunger Games fandom lol
skyflower17 chapter 1 . 2/16/2011
Yaay Katniss-Gale! I just finished reading Mockingjay a couple of days ago, and I think it's awesome! \m/ Keep writing! :D
wellhelloitsme chapter 1 . 2/5/2011
This is so sad even though I hate Gale with a burning passion. So, so fitting.
EStrunk chapter 1 . 1/24/2011
Nice story. Sad. I like the line about "my mind moans her name over and over again."
MusicIsMyGameIsTooLazyToLogIn chapter 1 . 10/28/2010
Eh, didn't get to finish signing that last review.
MusicIsMy chapter 1 . 10/28/2010
Wow, this was really nice. Great job on... everything! You captured Gale's feelings really well, I think. I'm a total Katta shipper myself, but I always hurt for Gale. This a rare but refreshing piece! Keep it up!
Penelope Wendy Bing chapter 1 . 8/2/2010
I don't like Galeniss (like, at all) so I'm never impressed with the emotion behind Galeniss fics, really. The canon just speaks too little to me. This was REALLY well written though. For Galeniss it was really good!

-P.W. Bing
Anne Gable chapter 1 . 7/30/2010
I have a question for you. How can you write something as perfectly beautiful as THAT and still be a Peeta and Katniss fan?

~Anne
waytobefabulous chapter 1 . 7/17/2010
awwwwww! this is amazing! :) love it
Tour de Force chapter 1 . 7/15/2010
I am speechless. I think this is some of the best KatnissxGale work I've ever seen! And in a songfic, no less. (And trust me - it's rare to see a really good one). I really loved this piece!

Good luck in the judging!

.Katie.
Midnight Sleepyspray chapter 1 . 7/13/2010
It's kind of good, but some parts are a bit off, especially at the ending.
LoveTheBoyWithTheBread chapter 1 . 6/15/2010
I love this!

I don't even like Katniss/Gale together, but this was an amazing story :D.

Loved it!

It could have been improved, though. In places, the tenses switched back and forth, and there were some typos and misspellings. Besides that, it was great!

-Mel