Reviews for Why Should I Be Any Different?
JaneDoh0 chapter 1 . 12/17/2013
I really like your writing style. Your Lily is certainly canon compliant, but I find her broken heart rings really false for me. To be honest, I don't really find Lily to be a sympathetic character in the series. She is canonized by everyone concerned (including Severus), but she really is just a selfish, immature teenager (like we all tend to be at that age). Severus' "friends" (who never seem to be around to actually help him) are bullies like James and Sirius, but Lily pals around with the Gryffindors who torment him and cuts Severus no slack (he does have to sleep in the same dorm as the other Slytherins!). At least Severus's nominal friends do not bully Lily! I don't think Lily actually cared for Severus at all-she cuts him off over an insult delivered after she laughs while he is hung upside down and stripped for the school's entertainment. She even says "none of my friends blah blah" and NOT "none of my other friends". I think it was pretty clear where Severus stood with regard to the "Light" side after Lily abandoned him in favor of his Gryffindor bullies and Albus showed him that his life is worth less than those same Gryffindor bullies to those in charge. Not that Severus is a wonderful human being, but he had a truly terrible life from start to finish. Even the most angelic of people has a breaking point beyond which they will fall.
Mini Nicka chapter 1 . 6/11/2013
Excellent look at lily's head
Sarah Crawford chapter 1 . 1/19/2012
Very good little fic. It’s well written and believable. This is definitely one possibility, although I’m not sure that Lily every really cared for him as more than a friend.
Luthien Luinwe chapter 1 . 4/2/2011
Excellent story. I really enjoyed it. Keep writing! You're great at it!
Pinkfurball chapter 1 . 3/14/2011
Omg that was so sad! I'm crying! I didn't even get this strong of a reaction while reading the seventh book. This was very well written!
Madigan Keen chapter 1 . 8/27/2010
That makes me want to cry! Waaaaahh!
WishFlower chapter 1 . 5/12/2010
sev is really mr favourite character in the whole series and i really love this story how it seemed so real.
matrice chapter 1 . 5/4/2010
They were clearly on two very different wavelengths. Severus has acted towards the Slytherins the exact same way Remus has acted towards the Marauders(the guy had tried to make up excuse even after their pranks had reaced the point of attempted murder), and probably for similar reasons. Lily's reasoning was filled with anti-Slytherin propaganda: she judged Gryffindors and Slytherins in different manners. They were teenagers, and spoiled ones at that. The reason Avery and Mulciber behaved like bullies is the same James and Sirius behaved like bullies (even when they were eighteen, and in Sirius' case, defending their actions even in adulthood): they were pampered little princess, who didn't give a damn about anyone else but their little circle of friends, and attributed more value to their entertainment than to the quality of another human's life. The political propaganda (anti-Slyterin and anti-muggleborn) was just a pretext to justify their actions and say 'I am not a bully, it's a matter of principle'. All in all, it's interesting to note how, despite her insistence and 'high and mighty' moral stand, neither Lily or the other Gryffindor characters (Dumbledore, and to some extent Remus, although given the similarity of their situation I would guess that the man had simply preferred not to dwelve too deep into it) tired to put themselves in his place, and asked for instantaneour forgiveness. As an experiment, I would have liked to see a James/Severus role swapping, a kind of 'walk a thousands miles in his shoes' kind of thing. I can easily see who would come out on top. Everyone is able to spout off bs about 'forgiveness' without actually doing anything to correct an extremely unfair situation, and then act all superior because 'they knew he was bad news all along'.
Midnight Demonn chapter 1 . 5/4/2010
nice effort and i rele liked the way the characters ,do me a fav and write a dramoine fic.I'm sure it'd be nice.
urs sincerly,
dawnghost.
Zaichik Arky chapter 1 . 5/4/2010
Nice. Seldom do these stories start with Lily admitting to herself, her love for Severus all along, it's usually the opposite. I'd like to see this continue!
MoveBitch chapter 1 . 5/4/2010
Perfect. I can see this really happening.