Reviews for A Woman's Duty
mille libri chapter 1 . 5/2/2012
I think Elissa's emotions and mindset are very well-drawn here, and the strength underneath the devastation comes across nicely, as does Alistair's fundamental inability to see the world through glasses that aren't rose-colored.
Nebel Engel chapter 1 . 4/14/2011
After reading "Anathema's Anchor", I just had to read more from you. This fic called my attention; you see, the first time I played DAO I created a female elf, a mage, and since I like elves with elves, she romanced Zevran. Besides, I just loved Zevran, he was the funniest character in DAO. Afterwards I played with Elissa Cousland, and she fell in love with Alistair (thought I'd give him a chance), and Alistair turned out to be so adorable! And since I liked them so much together, Elissa had to be his queen. So they got married and I always liked to think they lived happily ever after.

However, I believe your story is far more accurate that my ideal of "happily ever after". Besides, it's so strong, so emotional! And it totally makes sense. If it's hard enough for one grey warden to have children, it's most likely impossible for two. Which is a total pity. And even if, when Alistair told Elyssa before the final battle that they would expect them to have an heir to the throne and how hard it was for to greys to do it, she answered comically that they wouldn't reprimand them for not trying, I totally get her angst and resolve in this fic.

I don't have children myself yet, but I can totally get how painful it must be to lose a pregnancy. I don't know if it would be any easier to bear in the case that one was expecting to lose it.

Gee, I wish Elyssa and Alistair could get over that problem. Wouldn't it be interesting to have them go on a quest to find Morrigan and her child? Although that would require a whole lot of imagination, since we have no idea of the plans they have in Bioware for that plot.

You know what other romance is actually cute in DAO? The human male warrior-rogue and Morrigan. If you come to think of it, Morrigan is similar to Isabella, she doesn't believe in love and is afraid to fall in love. Of course Morrigan goes beyond that and totally despises love, she sees it as a weakness. But it's so cute when she realizes she has fallen for the warden and wants to save him (not only because it was her plan at the begining, but also because she loves him, even if she can't admit it). And then in the DLC when they dissapear together!

But I am rambling here! Thank you so much for writing this; and if you ever decide to start another DAO fanfic with a romance I agree upon, I will totally read it.
Wolfox6 chapter 1 . 10/18/2010
Powerfully emotive...very well written.
LyricGirl16 chapter 1 . 8/25/2010
...wow.

I just love the last line! (I'm really a last line kind of person) :)

It's a nice look into what the time period really meant in a more modern way. A lot of times people write Dragon Age as if it was just a less-advanced twentieth century. You really looked at what the predominant influences were, and what was really expected of noblewomen.

You also had a lot of good emotion in the piece that you did a good job of just showing to the reader without having to go into detailed explanations.

Good job, I loved it! :)
Hikoru Aniki chapter 1 . 8/24/2010
I really liked this story. You descriptions were very vivid, which really helps one to get into the story. You also had a very in-character Alistair, which is always nice.

You did have a good idea on how to depict the possible issues of a female Grey Warden attempting to have children, and made it seem very possible.

Your last line was also very memorable. (I have a thing for last lines.)

All in all, very good!
Shacary chapter 1 . 7/13/2010
i always hoped that the warden Avernus in the soldiers peak might come up with a fix for the DA2 for the infertility. I mean... why do the men still get to make babies but not the women? GRR lol

all the same this was well written, and poignant and sad :(
Lexicer chapter 1 . 7/4/2010
That last line...just...wow.

Fantastic!
NukaColaQueen chapter 1 . 7/1/2010
That was amazing...
cyberwolf971 chapter 1 . 5/7/2010
That was...agonizing to read. You did an amazing job capturing the emotions between the pair of them. I'd always assumed that the grey warden inability to have children came from the inability to conceive, I'd never even considered this...
That Crazy Halo Girl chapter 1 . 5/7/2010
This is really good. I'm weeping right now. You captured their emotions so perfectly.
LunaMax1214 chapter 1 . 5/7/2010

*sniff*

I will NOT cry, damnit. I have an event to attend and I cannot go into it all red-eyed and blotchy-faced.

*sniff*

Well done, Fyre. Way to branch out of your comfort zone. Then again, you should know by now I'm a fan. :)