Reviews for The Power of Friends
AviationDrive chapter 7 . 6/23/2010
This story is too cute. I love Dustin and Ninja Storm. Great story, update again soon!
the true elec chapter 7 . 6/21/2010
More angst, I like this Dustin, not that the actual Dustin isn't great but some emotional depth on a ranger is a really good thing to see. I feel really sorry for him during this, it must be hard not knowing whether the people who were your friends one minute are going to stay your friends or start hating you.I also feel slightly sad for the Thunder rangers, I mean it must be killing them the way they were forced to treat the other rangers, and Dustin acting they way he did couldn't have helped.
SunshineBear01 chapter 6 . 6/16/2010
I love this chapter
the true elec chapter 5 . 6/9/2010
I find my self in a weird position of actually liking a chapter partly because of the angst in it, that's something that's never happened before. I don't know how you did it but you did. Not only did I like this chapter but I'm now really wanting to read the other chapters to find out who Dustin was e-mailing and why he needed to hear it first.
project314 chapter 5 . 6/8/2010

These little snapshots have a tendency to be my favorite moments. Nothing big, nothing flashy, just a meaningful and needed conversation between two characters.

It might be angsty, but this has got to be my favorite take on Dustin. Even though he's not 100%, he's still the friend that can be relied on 200%. There's more to him than that, obviously, and in the span of just this one scene, you managed to show off a few different sides of him, but the brotherly figure is what called to me most.

One line grabbed my attention more than anything else. "(Dustin) kept it a silent rule that he didn't talk to others about their problems until the problem was admitted." That brought me back to Chapter 3, in the van with Tori and Shane. There was the same vibe with Shane, that Dustin would let him make the first step. However, if memory serves, in that one, we got the sense that Dustin would intervene if Shane didn't open up, if things went too far. I guess that you don't contradict it here, since even with a rule, there can be exceptions. Still, maybe Dustin becomes more confident that people will talk to him when necessary, and he trusts more and more in this rule. Rambling now... Simply, nice reference.

I was a bit confused as to the identity of the girl/woman. Maybe if I'd read more of the RB series, there might be something there. My one guess is that it might be Taylor, looking out for her yellow successor. If I'm wrong, any chance for a clue? (Unless it's meant to be revealed at a later time).

Also, maybe I'm just dense tonight, but I didn't catch the 2004/2005 reference. Would it be indiscreet to ask?

To top it off, loved the ending. The simple mention of Dustin walking instead of streaking, thoughtful. And those last thoughts. Does Dustin also carry a torch for the target of Tori's affections or are his eyes on another Thunder Ranger, that he's trying to see the good in as well?

Great chapter! Can't wait for the other 45 Dustin entries! (Just kidding, Jo, although I'm sure you could pull it off brilliantly).

Pink Wolf Princess chapter 4 . 5/24/2010
Ouch... did the Thunder brothers actually say that about Dustin? Jeez, small wonder I'm such a Tori/Cam girl then. Of course, they were under Lothor's influence at the time but still. Usually evil Rangers go for physical damage, not emotional damage. Ouch. But don't get me wrong, the fanfic itself was great. I can't wait for more!
the true elec chapter 4 . 5/24/2010
Good look into Dustin during the episode, and overall really what with his talk to Cam. I'm really liking this series.
project314 chapter 4 . 5/23/2010
True story again, though these coincidences are starting to get a tad freaky. Are we on the same wavelength, Jo? I wouldn't complain. It would actually be kinda cool.

This morning, I decided to watch some PR. I could have picked pretty much anything, but I had a craving for some Ninja Storm, so I ended up watching the first two episodes. There's a Dustin story roaming in my head, so I thought it would be a good idea to catch up with this particular group. Then, an hour later, 'story alert'! )

Great chapter. Although I enjoyed the interaction with Cam, my favorite part had to be the portion with Dustin and Kelly. And before I forget, I want to make a little story request/suggestion. You've done such an amazing job examining all the Rangers, is there any chance you might consider doing a series focusing on secondary characters and mentors? I'm sure you'd give it an awesome spin. )

So yeah, the Kelly/Dustin content. It was cool because I didn't expect to see her in this story. Mentors and fellow Rangers, that doesn't surprise me much. But when we see secondary characters step up, like Toby would do in Mystic Force sometimes, or Spencer in Operation Overdrive, that usually provides us with nice moments. Kelly and Dustin here, no exception.

Anyhow, my one gripe with the chap was that it depicted a darker Dustin moment. I like my Dustin moments to be lighter, since that's the image I keep of the character. Still, this gripe isn't a real negative. You're really fleshing him out, showing that he isn't one-dimensional. With that in mind, I found it was an awesome entry.

the true elec chapter 3 . 5/16/2010
Very good first couple of chapters, you've captured the characters brilliantly, though you always do that.
project314 chapter 3 . 5/16/2010
True story. Out of the blue, this morning, I was sitting outside, in awesometastic weather, wondering, "when is Jo going to put up the latest chapter in the Yellow Hearts series? I want more."

Fact of the matter is, when I'm having an off day, I know just what the cure to my blues is. Similarly, when it's a good day, like today, I know just what I need to make it even better. Everything I've read so far, from the Yellow Hearts stories, to the few chaps of Red Fraternity I've checked out, to your Pinks and Blacks, there's always something oh so special about it that makes it impossible not to smile. (Well, maybe that doesn't apply to 'I Hate', but I've yet to fully look at that one).

Anyhow, another chapter of Dustin. Yay! I've yet to get a full grasp on what you're going for with The Power of Friends, but I figure that's going to get cleared up when Dustin's arc ends. So far, I'm seeing Dustin's first big moments with his teammates. In the second chapter, we had his first encounter with Cam (and Sensei). In this chapter, it was his first moment with Tori and Shane post-powers. I'm going to guess that the next chapter will feature Blake and Hunter perhaps. Or, if I'm wrong, my second guess is that we're looking at moments that were significant for Dustin himself.

The scene you gave us here was a very nice quieter moment. You have a real gift with those. You stuck the NS trio in their home away from home, the van, and you captured all their voices and their personalities. Dustin came across as being very grounded, perfect considering his element is earth. He also came off as slightly goofy (for lack of a better word), which is my favorite trait in the character. But most of all, he rightfully came across as the team's anchor. 'If he didn't lighten up soon, Dustin would take steps'.

Great entry, as always. You're doing my fave yellow justice. )

Can't wait to read more!

P.S.: Loved the cereal bar! D
project314 chapter 2 . 5/9/2010
Every once in while, an off day comes up. For whatever reason, you just need a good 'pick me up'. And when that day comes around, if there's a new little something from Guardian of Hope to read, and especially if it's in her exploration of the Yellow Hearts, you just have to know that everything's gonna turn out fine.

Yeah, so I got the author alert yesterday. Did a small downward spiral last night. Knew just what I needed to feel better. And it turns out that, as I read this entry, 'something clicked, like the world settled into place.'

I'm going to hold off on any substantial comments. I want to get a better feel of the journey you're taking with one of my favorite Yellows first. And I'm very curious about that bowl...

Awesome introduction to Dustin. His voice, much like Cam's and Sensei's, felt very authentic.

And I don't think I need to comment on the writing anymore. Like everything that's come before, it's brilliant in every aspect. )

monkeerangerfan chapter 2 . 5/7/2010
this was great. can't wait until the next chapter.
117 | « Prev Page 1 .. 5 6 7 8