Reviews for Escape Velocity
Acono chapter 1 . 7/13/2016
Six years ago, this was posted. And in two more years SpaceX's Red Dragon will go to Mars as the the forerunner of biannual Martian launches. I can only hope that in forty more years we'll have found a room temperature superconductor like Unobtanium. And that I'll be alive to work with it.
BigBlueJake chapter 1 . 9/23/2010
Saw this on dA - love the care you put into the science and the story.
Braincleaner chapter 5 . 9/5/2010
First, this was an extremely well written story, keep up the good work. Very interesting theories, both well explained and exciting.

But according to books as for example "The Survival Guide" (officially released book) the humans weren't using unobtanium to get to pandora, the unobtanium simply made the traveling far more easire, efficient and cheaper.

The first spacecrafts that left for pandora with humans on board were 10 times larger than the one portrayed in the movie because of the large engines they needed to create matter anti-matter. the trip also took longer, but when they discovered unobtanium they could decrease the size of the ships and make them travel even faster. :)
Bigoldfrog chapter 3 . 6/6/2010
I like it! It's so believable I thought I was reading the script of a documentary from the future. The flair was beautifully laced in to boot.
Bigoldfrog chapter 2 . 5/11/2010
Another sci-fi hit!

You've got Dan Brown's thumb for inserting enough facts, in an interesting fashion, that the blurred edge between fantasy and reality, fog's even more.
Codeless Enigma chapter 2 . 5/10/2010
Fantastic job with the sci-fi language, you certainly present a new idea as to how humans originally got to Pandora.
Bigoldfrog chapter 1 . 5/8/2010
Jumpin' sci-fi Batman!

Wicked description of a meteor impact, thought I was reading Best of SF 2010 for a sec.

In the book Avatar: A survivalists guide (or something akin to that), they, on behalf of James Cameron, explained how we Terran's got to the beauty of Pandora.

Doesn't mean you can't tinker/ completely overhaul what's written. (Not that some faceless shmoe like me has to tell you). I eagerly await to see what you've come up with.
Cavor chapter 1 . 5/8/2010
The chicken/egg aspect really bugged me during the movie. If it's ONLY found on Pandora, how did we get enough of it to create the spaceships to go there?

LOL, but why do you think "we" did?

Unobtanium isn't critical for space flight

It just makes same things simpler and alot cheaper
Cody MacArthur Fett chapter 1 . 5/8/2010
Interesting concept. There's not enough here for a real proper review, but I do have a suggestion. Try posting your story over in the Creative Writing section of the Spacebattles dot com forums, you'll likely get a lot of head-spiningly complicated advice on spaceship design that'll be right up your ally for ideas later on in the story, if you can stand a little crazy and snark that is. ;)

Well, like i said, that's all I can really say.

Sic Semper Tyrannus

Carry on.
Wrandom Writer chapter 1 . 5/8/2010
Very interesting. You've certainly used very good word choice. However, I think it would sound better if some of the sentences were cut a littl shorter, in my opinion. It's not bad right now, but I think some shorter, snappier sentences would make it better.

Also, in my opinion, I think it was hard to find the mood of it. I kind of got a sense of a devastating atmospher, but I didn't really think of a certain emotion while reading this.

You've a very good point about how they got the funds to go there. . .Maybe they took out a giant loan and are going to pay it back with the unobtainium.

Overall, very interesting and good word choice, but maybe try to shorten some of the sentences.

Keep Writing,