Reviews for The Preacher's Son
chmcolli chapter 2 . 5/20/2010
So excited to read the update! Just a great story. I'm not an expert on Africa either, but you capture it so well- you evoke the images that one would think of. Edward is such a cocky punk right now- but it's obvious that he has a backstory, and I look forward to finding out what it is, since it probably affects his relationship with Carlisle. I like Edward cause he sort of represents the elitism of wealthy countries. It's that whole idea of benign neglect. We ignore what's happening outside of our little bubble, and sort of think we are "better than". When it's more like we are just fortunate to grow up in a place with less issues. And I can't wait until experiences, as well as Bella, pop this little bubble of entitlement that he's created for himself.

sorry for rambling... look forward to the next update!
kalie09 chapter 2 . 5/20/2010
I've loved reading Chance Encounter and I can tell I'm going to love this story also. It's great to read fanfics that are of such high quality. Please continue to update!
taynemmsmama chapter 2 . 5/20/2010
I love this so much - I am truly hooked - can't wait for the next update!
b4bystar chapter 2 . 5/20/2010
I’ve never been to Uganda, but in 2008; I travelled to Haiti with my father on flood aide relief. I really didn’t want to go and to say that I was scared would be an understatement. My dad was scheduled to stay for two weeks, while I was only going to “help” for like 3 days. I didn’t see the point of my traveling there for a measly 3 days and was very upset that I’d be traveling back home on my own. My father thought that it would benefit me to see and maybe even help those truly less fortunate...He was just trying to make me appreciate my life and stop whining about SAB. I can’t even begin to tell you how shocked I was by that country. Such relentless heat in September…and the people lived in abject poverty. Driving from the airport was an experience all its own. The streets were lined with beggars and the women were walking up and down the road carrying these huge round bowl like objects on their heads filled with water. Our driver/guide explained that the majority of the houses did not have indoor plumbing and they were carrying the water back home for cooking and bathing. He said that the people were lucky to get 2 or 3 hours of electricity services in their home per day. It was sporadic at best. The country doesn’t have mass public transportation, educational system, Army for the defense of the country, or even a well defined health department. The streets were filled with these individually owned pickup trucks which served as bus service. It was all so surreal how 90% of the population lived in this horrendous manner while 10% lived the way that we do in absolute luxury.

My dad was working at a hospital in a town named Leogane. I was shocked to learn that a patient has to provide things like gloves and medicine to the Doctor before they can be treated. The process is as follows: They (patients and or their families) go in, the Doctor gives them a list of things to buy from a pharmacy and after obtaining everything on the list, travel back to the hospital. On my 2nd day there we met a 60 year old woman by the name of Denise Eugene. She had Diabetes and was having problems with her legs. One of the toe on her left foot was completely black. I mean charcoal black. She was fluent in French and so we were able to communicate quite a bit while she waited. I will never forget how friendly and open she was. She practically told me her whole life story. How one person can endure such heartbreak and live to tell about it is beyond comprehension. She described in detail how her husband and 6 of her 8 children died. Her first born daughter Chelle (pronounced Shelly) died at the age of 7. She was crossing the highway and was hit by a car. Her daughter Natacha contracted AIDS and died at the age of 19. Her other daughter Carline died giving birth to a little boy they named Paulson. She lost her 23 year old son Wilgard in a freak automobile accident. He was a passenger in one of those pickup trucks and fell out of the truck while in motion and was beheaded. The last of her children to die, were still-born twins. She then went on to tell me how her first husband was a heavy drinker and died as a result. Probably cirrhosis of the Liver. She told me that she was blessed to still have her son, wait for it…Robert, daughter Anna, and grandson Paulson.

Anyway, my father told her that the toe would have to be amputated and she refused. He pleaded and pleaded with her but she ended up leaving. She didn’t want to be handicapped. My 3 days in that hospital with my father, were without a doubt; the harshest 72 hours of my life thus far. I was so thankful that the hospital and hotel had electricity and plumbing facilities. I feared that I would have to use one of those out houses prevalent throughout the city. The heat, bugs, poverty, hopelessness, friendliness of the people despite their circumstances…I will never forget Haiti. Anyway, enough about Haiti and unto the review.

Excellent chapter! I know this is serious stuff, but is it wrong of me that I found myself constantly LMAO at Edward’s thoughts and conversations with Carlisle? I have never laughed this much before while reading a chapter. I love Edward. I’m almost saddened that he is going to change as stated at the end of chapter 1 :) WOW, he hasn’t even met Bella yet and is already obsessed and dreaming about her. I can’t wait for the Edward and Bella saga to start. I really like what he have learned about Bella thus far and can’t wait to “meet” her next chapter.

Favorite Lines:

I mean who the fuck wants to board a plane with mechanical difficulties, even if said difficulties have supposedly been addressed. I wished they would just keep that shit to themselves and announce a delay due to weather en route.

I guessed since we were traveling to one of the poorest fucking countries in the world that Carlisle was trying to make some sort of a statement about superfluous spending. Lucky fucking me, I was sentenced to sacrifice already.

"Because there's a good chance I'll end up fucking dead," I retorted, wiping the smirk right off of his face.

I was essentially a selfish man, and I was comfortable with that. I wasn't ashamed of who I was. Fuck knows I'd suffered enough in my life not to feel ashamed of what I had.

Though Akello had offered to let us sleep in, I awoke the following morning at the crack of dawn thanks to the friendly fucking rooster outside the window to my room.

I was suddenly very aware of just how ignorant I was about life in Africa. I nodded slowly at him, tucking my tail between my legs before continuing forward, quiet in my step.
dreampills chapter 2 . 5/20/2010
i don't think anyone can truly understand the privileges that we have here until they've been to a place with nothing. we learn to be independent while others thrive on dependency and family unity. it is amazing to see.

but on the other hand, while other countries are in desperate need of help, there are many others here that also need our help. where do you find a good balance between the two?

i am really excited for the next chapter and bpov! great job!
azure0610 chapter 2 . 5/20/2010
"You know, I don't know why we couldn't just stay here in the Netherlands," I mused, my lips curling upwards in a wry smile. "I'm sure there are plenty of souls that need saving in the Red Light District." Carlisle chuckled softly beside me.

"Yes, and yours would be one of them if I were to set you free in that city, son," he replied and I scowled at him.

LMAO! I loved that. Carlisle would have some major work cut out for him if they went there.

I mean fuck, we couldn't all be missionaries or Peace Corps volunteers. I got it. I really did. There were people all over the fucking world that were less fortunate than I was that needed help. But why did I have to be the one to deliver it? The way I figured it, each of us had our own calling in life and my calling was definitely not to dedicate my life to giving to others. I was essentially a selfish man, and I was comfortable with that. I wasn't ashamed of who I was.

Again, I love that he acknowledges WHO he is. He's right, everyone does have their calling and right now he is essentially a selfish person but at least he's not naive to it. He's honest about it. Wrong yes, but at least he doesn't pretend.

He's definitely in for some personality changes once the eight weeks are up. No doubt.
hotmama4jd chapter 2 . 5/20/2010
Ah, poor Doucheward arrives in Africa. I hope he figures out how to not be an ass sooner rather than later. :) I hope Bella puts him in his place.

Your Carlisle quote about creating your own happiness reminded me of my mother's mantra. She used to say "you've got the same pants to get glad in that you got mad in" which basically translates into: you choose how you respond to something, you can choose to be happy or choose to be mad. Edward needs to find his 'happy pants'. ;)
LadyExcalibur2010 chapter 2 . 5/20/2010
Beautiful! And Carlisle is so right. Edward will take away from the experience what he chooses. That bit about the blisters reminded me of my son and nephew complaining about Army boot camp. Apparently, blisters are the bane of new soldiers' existence. The most common item on their wish list? Moleskin! :D Wonderfully done, a well crafted tale as always.
Soccer11 chapter 2 . 5/20/2010
May it be love at first sight? lol cant wait for the next chapter
VainVamp chapter 2 . 5/20/2010
MadelineRenee chapter 2 . 5/20/2010
Great chapter - I love the details!
b4bystar chapter 1 . 5/18/2010
I know that this is going to sound weird but, kudos to you for having the courage to kill of Emmett and Esme right of the bat. Most people wouldn’t have had the nerve to do that even if it would make the story better…they would have found a way to stick them in, completely out of context and annoying the hell out of me. Don’t get me wrong, I like Esme and Emmett. However, I just don’t seem to share the prevailing view, that just because a person is writing a Twilight related story; they must include every single character!

This Edward is a very interesting character. There is a very interesting dichotomy between his cockiness and insecure self loathing persona. I know that he gives of the vibes of being this potty mouth, uncaring person but that isn’t really what I “see” in terms of him. Based on his treatment of Carlisle, behavior with Tanya, and his general thought process; I should really despise him…but I just don’t. He reminds me of a lost little boy who is petrified of allowing himself to get emotionally attached to anyone. With his history of abandonment by his father, and the lost of the two most important women in his life, how can we blame him for being the way that he is? Reading this story, I found myself mourning the loss of Esme from Edward’s life. You managed to portray, their absolute love and devotion towards one another brilliantly. In just a few sentences, you left no doubt in my mind just how special their relationship was; and thus found myself feeling surprisingly empathetic towards Edward.

I seriously cringed when Edward fell for Tanya’s “Let’s just be fuck buddies” line. He knew that she had been in love with him, so how can he so readily believe that she no longer had feelings for him? I think he knew it all along but shut down his brain and allowed his penis free reign. Even in that, I can’t really be that upset with him, because he made it clear to her on several different occasions that he didn’t want a relationship with her and was only in it for the sex. She not only agreed to those terms, but was the one to pursue him hoping that she could somehow change or trap him, and then want to sit back and act all heart broken when she realizes that he still only wants sex from her…go figure! I can’t wait to see how much damage a place like Uganda will do to Edward’s “poor little me” attitude. I know it’s harsh, but it’s time for him to end the self pity BS.

Your writing is as always beyond brilliant and witty. You’ve once again created a very “real” character in Edward that I can’t wait to watch mature and change over time. I don’t have much of an opinion of Carlisle as of yet. My only assessment thus far is that he is too soft and angelic, but then again; he is a Priest.

Favorite Lines:

How the fuck was I going to survive eight weeks in Africa? I had never lived in fucking abject poverty and squalor and saw no reason to start now.
LadyExcalibur2010 chapter 1 . 5/16/2010
Hooray! A new story to savor. I can't wait to see where you go with this one. I've enjoyed Chance Encounter so very, very much!
lindyrb chapter 1 . 5/15/2010
Sounds like an interesting story! Looking forward to more...and hope Bella will be in the story soon.
taynemmsmama chapter 1 . 5/15/2010
I am so looking forward to reading more of this story - can't wait until Edward starts to grow up a bit - I love the style of your writing it flows so nicely - I am so looking forward to more.
76 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 .. Last Next »