Reviews for The Desert Between
Spidey-phd chapter 1 . 2/17/2011
wow... just, wow! Great story. Very well written. You really captured everything.

I wonder to what degree Spock would be willing to compromise? He's already demonstrated a willingness to rebel against Vulcan culture in order to respect his maternal ancestry. Particularly given level of prestige and respect earned by BOTH of his parents and his own status as the accomplished half-blood who saved the surviving members of the Vulcan council I think that his relationship with Nyota might be viewed a little differently.

I'd love to see more of this story!
Jamille Shane chapter 1 . 9/4/2010
I wish there was a chapter 2 on Spock's POV. It sounded as if Nyota would be the only one giving everything up in this. But I never got the impression Spock's place in Starfleet was a temporary thing for him. Once his planet was destroyed he was also going to have to sacrifice his life to help his people rebuild. Wish there was more addressing that POV.
Saavik13 chapter 1 . 8/16/2010
Great introspection piece. The cultural discussion is very well done.
Chaos Dragon chapter 1 . 7/7/2010
i haven't been reviewing everything i read and added to my c-2 (shame on me) but it's only because your stuff is so damned good that i can't bear to pause for a moment to type something out. i was and still plan to send you a pm just indulging your ego when i finish.

however, this was really good and such a great look at nyota and spock. you have a thorough understanding of vulcan that i can appreciate being a trekkie and everything you've added into it just made me so thrilled as i read it. really and truly an excellent fic.

cd
KristinaLeigh chapter 1 . 5/28/2010
First of all, I found this fic to be very interesting and very well written. I have to give kudos to your style. Your plot puts Nyota between and rock and a hard place, however it's very hard for me to see why she is there in the first place. Your version of Nyota doesn't seem to know that she loves Spock or not. I wasn't sure while reading if that was the intention or not. I guess that was my biggest question during the whole reading: Does she really love him? In short, I love your style and this great plot bunny but the silly romantic in me was screaming in agony. Thanks for a great read!
4321 chapter 1 . 5/19/2010
please carry this on
amore1993 chapter 1 . 5/17/2010
This story is really well written. I love the way you have shown Vulcan's logic and problems that could arise in Spock's an Nyota's relationship.
Lemomina chapter 1 . 5/16/2010
Amazing fic ! I love the story very much , its very realistic and smart . I felt really sad for Nyota , its like a no win situation for her , she will have to make a sacrifice in the end :(

I don't know if Jalila is an actual character in Trek Verse or if its an OC but i found that making her a Muslim woman is an interesting choice ( i wonder why ) . Also , am not sure if you know that already or not , but Muslim women can't marry a non-Muslim man _ , he will have to convert ...
StormingtheGambit chapter 1 . 5/15/2010
I agree with Linstock - this is a well written story, but I can't help but feel that there isn't much of a possibility for a happy ending for Nyota & Spock. Their relationship is forever changed after this moment and it certainly doesn't seem happy tough the optimistic romantic in me hopes otherwise. I would love to see a sequel in which you tackle the Catch-22 of Nyota's predicament.

Based off of the stories I've read these past few months, people believe Nyota & Spock's relationship to be deep and a bond that will weather the test of time, trials, & tribulations.

Yet with your story I can't help but try to place myself in Nyota's shoes: would one be willing to give up almost everything held dear/important for someone they love/know for a short period of time? When there isn't even a modicum of compromise?

Great food for thought. Thank you for sharing.
harriethare chapter 1 . 5/14/2010
I enjoyed your story very much ans was disappointed when I realized i was at the end. I had expected a chapter 2. This was well written and included some interesting side issues. Thank you for sharing your muse and I look forward to reading more of your stories.
Linstock chapter 1 . 5/13/2010
I agree with the comments of others about the maturity and realism of this. But I also found it deeply sad. It seems that Nyota is in a loose loose situation here. Every choice has a hard and high cost. Love her man for five years and then let him go, share him with another and become effectively his second wife (something very few people could make work unless they were raised in a culture where it is acceptable), stay in the colony loosing her own culture and perhaps not adjusting to a very different one, loose input into her children’s upbringing (and look at the childhood that logical upbringing gave Spock)? All wrenching. All with the potential to sour the relationship. And during the five years to decide how could the relationship ever be free of constraint? Of course there is Spock’s happy option that one will die anyway and problem solved. The only option that seems liveable is of staying in star fleet and being based in a Vulcan colony, at least this may not be as restricted and Nyota has some freedom.

I agree with Nyota, she needed to know these realities; but they are cold harsh realities and will make very uncomfortable bed-fellows. She no longer sees Spock in the same way which may be healthy or the beginning of the end. None of this is to say the story isn’t great and very well written. It is. Very much so, in fact the taste of sadness it left in my mind haunted me all today. I just can not see how this can work out well and Nyota is the one doing most of the loosing. It is sad and as I can not see that either of them will be able to let go easily or without scars.
ukgsrlover chapter 1 . 5/12/2010
This was one of the best fanfics I've ever read, as evidenced by the fact that it's the only one I've ever reviewed. I thought the characterization was accurate and believable. The story was realistic and thought provoking. I'm looking forward to reading your other stories.
NotesfromaClassroom chapter 1 . 5/11/2010
Masterful. I suspect the length scares off casual readers and potential reviewers who would enjoy it-if you write another lengthy fic, perhaps you should consider installments/chapters...a la Dickens? Anyway, I certainly enjoyed it.
Soului chapter 1 . 5/11/2010
Definitely an interesting concept, and one that I think you've done justice very well. Personally, I would love to see a sequel if you ever have time to write one.
Spockchick chapter 1 . 5/11/2010
Thank you for this wonderful story. I particularly like the way you have portrayed Nyota. Practical, intelligent and thoughtful. The part about the darts made me laugh. Intelligent use of stasis, a rare use of sci-fi in these stories. I don't mind the cliff-hanger ending, it allows us to create our own in our minds.