Reviews for Looking for Boromir
IstariWho chapter 1 . 2/5
Nice!
The metaphors are great!
This is very different from many of the other versions of the "dark valley" where Aragorn sought for Faramir. Most show it as a shadowy realm full of monsters.
Hannon-le!
Ania Gajewska chapter 1 . 4/19/2013
This is probably the best, most mature, most serious, most "literature-like" piece of fanfic I have ever read... Thank you for the thrill it gave me! If you allowed it, I would gladly steal this piece to give to my translation students to work on...
Darkover chapter 1 . 10/9/2010
Dear Valante: This is very well written. I enjoyed the metaphors. I did figure out who the "shadowy stranger" was, but I am glad that you explained the word "Marto." I thought it was going to translate as "death" or maybe "hell." I enjoyed reading this story. Thanks for writing and posting it. Sincerely, Darkover
Larner chapter 1 . 8/21/2010
At least he chose in the end to turn back, and recognized his guide.
Thundera Tiger chapter 1 . 7/10/2010
This was fantastic! I can't believe I hadn't heard of this story before! I'm actually applauding myself for figuring out when and where Faramir was about halfway through (and I'm applauding even louder for being right), but the way in which the story created that revelation was done so artistically and elegantly. This is pure prowess in writing. What starts to innocuously and could be the beginning of any story anywhere quickly turns into something much more confusing and sinister. But it's confusion with a purpose, not confusion for the sake of confusion. Though sick and feverish, there's method in the madness and everything Faramir sees or does makes perverse sense. The metaphors are fast, furious, and perfectly suited for what Faramir has endured and is continuing to endure. The fact that he doesn't recognize or know Aragorn as anything other than a persistent shadow is brilliant, and I love that it's Boromir who finally turns him in the end. This is fabulous!
Shipwright's Trick chapter 1 . 5/16/2010
A brilliant take on the old story. Loved the barkeep, by the way. You're right, the entire thing is positively strewn with metaphors - and I got a very eerie sense out of the whole thing that fit perfectly with the story once I figured out what was going on. Thank you!
lindahoyland chapter 1 . 5/12/2010
I'm delighted to see this excellent story here.A wonderful retelling of my favourite passage from the book.
BM originally chapter 1 . 5/11/2010
Good job! Interesting take on the storyline.
the green lama chapter 1 . 5/11/2010
I loved this: it was instantly engaging and absorbing. It was one of those stories which I'm so eager to finish that I skip some of the words and have to read it again. Extremely well-written! Well done!