Reviews for Invictus
julie5 chapter 17 . 6/1/2013
sooooooo worth sticking it out. This was an extremely entertaining satisfying story. Loved every minute of it even the painful ones. Thank you for writing and sharing this wonderful story.
julie5 chapter 9 . 6/1/2013
I hate you. I hate Garrus, your version anyway. but I am reading the next chapter because I have to find out how it ends. Because even though I hate what has happened here what you made happen with your writing and story and skill, this is a good story and way more entertaining to me than anything on tv
Kodiak Sage chapter 17 . 3/29/2013
Thanks for cluing me in about the lack of spoilers, I was sweating there for a bit! Fortunately I was able to enjoy the rest of the story 100% guilt free!

Overall, great story! I loved the family drama and as a Texan I especially loved Jill's mom! Your Shepard was more emotional and feminine than "mine" but I still found that I connected with her anyway. She was very real even if she wasn't how I play her. My only qualm was the use of the word "giggle" in relation to Shepard (even though she stifled it) but again, she's your Shep and you can do what you want!

You have some delightful turns of phrase in your writing. I love when an author can take lore from the original story and use it to make their own metaphors and descriptions. It makes sense that a character would use comparisons that they are familiar with but is really hard to do well.

I also particularly love the way you handle the sex scenes-cute, funny, tasteful, romantic. Wonderful. They fade to black, but not before you get a pretty good idea of what's going down. (And the afterwards commentary from Shepard helps flesh it out too!) When I write sex scenes I tend toward the more graphic and lemony descriptions. Bleh.

That said, it's obvious that you have a great working knowledge of the Mass Effect Universe! I've started on my ME journey a few months ago so I was really impressed with your details. I couldn't really tell what you made up versus what you knew either, which is great. And reading your epilogue, I think that the reality of ME3 (I just played the Citadel DLC last night) meets your expectations perfectly!

One last thing, if you love ME than you might also like the Vorkosigan Saga books by Lois McMaster Bujold, particularly Cordelia's Honor. Her heroine Cordelia has quite a lot in common with your Shepard. (She even giggles very occasionally!) I loved them so much that my brother was convinced I would love ME and bought me all three games, and he was right!

Anyway, this review has gone on long enough. Thanks for a great story!
-Kodiak Sage
Kodiak Sage chapter 9 . 3/28/2013
Uh-oh. So I haven't finished playing ME3 but it kinda sounds like you may have dropped a hint here about it and it's really stressing me out. I started out looking for good fluffy shepard/garrus story and this one sucked me in, but should I continue before I finish ME3? Can I wait a whole week before finishing reading this?
Kodiak Sage chapter 5 . 3/27/2013
This chapter was very meta. Love it.
Kodiak Sage chapter 4 . 3/27/2013
I loved this chapter! Again you capture the voices just right and have a great sense of humor. Also want to mention that your descriptions are brilliant. Love it!
Kodiak Sage chapter 3 . 3/27/2013
Love your use of inside jokes within the story, and I feel like you got Garrus and Shepard's voices down perfectly. I'm excited to keep reading as I have time!
Guest chapter 17 . 3/12/2013
OMG. I love this so much. I just read the entire thing in one sitting and I'm grinning like an idiot. Well done, well done. As a side note, did you know the turians have a saying about Invictus (the planet). "A "house in an Invictus jungle" is a modern turian phrase for an idea that seems like a good idea but only to the one who came up with it." I remember reading this when scanning the planet in ME2 and when I saw your title I thought it might refer to that, but then I saw that it was the poem it was referring to. Either way 3 thank you for writing this, it was wonderful.
MorningAngel9 chapter 5 . 12/9/2012
I'm glad it was Garrus at the door. Kaidan is going to be a problem. I hate that he is acting like Alliance lap dog and trying get all territorial over her and now he probably went to Garrus to pick up a fight.
MorningAngel9 chapter 4 . 12/9/2012
Conversation between Garrus/Shepard/Cereus was kinda sad for Shepard. She cares a great deal for Garrus.
As for the late-night visitor i have this feeling that it's Kaidan. But i guess we'll see
MorningAngel9 chapter 2 . 12/9/2012
I love how Garrus acts things doesn't bother him but at the inside he is just terrified of losing her
MorningAngel9 chapter 1 . 12/9/2012
This is an interesting start. I'm intrigued to find out what's going to happen next.
Iris Johanne Black chapter 17 . 12/5/2012
I'm sure there are no words that I can say to express what others haven't already done, considering I see reviews as recently as this past November. For a finished fic, that's fairly impressive, particularly since there are so many ME related ones out there. Aside from the fact that I typically veer away from fics that use Shepard's first name and provide a description, I found I could not do so for your fic. I must congratulate you on such an addictive writing style to persuade me to keep reading despite my qualms about using Shepard's first name.

The terminology, vocabulary, characterization, description, dialogue, setting...I could continue the list, but I think you understand my point, which is that you have an amazing skill set as an author of fanfiction. You really place the reader in the setting where events are taking place, with vivid descriptions that bring the place alive. I felt my hackles rise at the ridiculousness of Cereus, felt an attraction to the Reaper device myself yet a loathing for it, and much more. Joker, who for me is a difficult character to write for since his humor isn't up my alley of expertise, was one character for whom I thought you wrote exceptionally.

If I hadn't already played ME3 and knew how the story panned out in between 2 and 3, I would have almost viewed your fic as canon because it was so well thought out. Intricate. You placed yourself in the universe, the cultures, that way you could write something that was believable for your audience. That deserves a pat on the back and for every reader of yours to buy you a drink as a treat. Thank you for this wonderful experience
White Ivy chapter 17 . 11/16/2012
By now you probably know that ME3 had half of your wish-list: tension with previous LI, political complications, and a chance to deck that reporter. When I read this fic I was kind of surprised at how spot on some of the characters lines and interactions were with what ended up happening in ME3. Good job! Thanks for writing such an enjoyable fic.
OinkyThePiggy chapter 17 . 7/31/2012
This was a very well-written story and I enjoyed every moment of it!