Reviews for Omens of Battle
Fenrir of the North chapter 1 . 2/4
Hmm...Don't the Greek's and Roman's/Italians lean towards being mostly brunette? So, what's with all the blondes and redheads?
Karina Ruiz chapter 1 . 10/29/2013
Great story! Im very entertaining reading about Ceasar... The best part is that if i have any questions i can ask you because youre sitting right in front :) ... Amazing story!
Spartan-168-Django chapter 2 . 7/31/2013
ROMA INVICTA! AVE IMPERATOR! Fantastic writing and good level of research!
Keanera03 chapter 2 . 7/2/2012
No había leido esta historia antes, pero es increible!
Me gusta mucho,mucho... Eres una escritora genial, y junto con AMT, esta se va a convertir en una de mis historias favoritas :)
vohangilalao chapter 2 . 7/1/2012
Rome won ... lol I think for my part that Alexander could win a battle against Julius Caesar ! But i know your love for the Roma ;D
apiratesmile chapter 1 . 4/16/2012
Wow! I know I'm a little late to the party what with you having written this two years ago but this was a really great story. It has a very interesting storyline and I love how you characterrized Alexander and Caesar : )
Lysis chapter 1 . 1/9/2012
I finally got the time to read your story. It's very good, very well set out. I like the way you describe and set the scene, however, strategically I saw a lot of ways that Caesar would have made fatal errors. I'm not going to share them with you :) but I'll say one thing, don't ever let Caesar underesteimate Alexander in any regard. Also, Alexander was brillant when it came to having the ability to literarlly think beyond each movement of battle toward the next. During the heat of battle things aren't like a dance, everything can fall apart in an instant. I would be willing to bet that if Alexander and Caessar were to actually have fought one another they would have studied each others battles and learned about each of their foes positive and negative traits. I know for Alexander he would have made sure he would not have gone up against Caesar until he was sure he could litaerally read the man's mind or more than that become Caesar himself. Also, I think Alexander was capable of more ruthlessness than Caesar might have. If I were Caesar and wanted a good grasp on what Alexander might do, I wouldnn't study just his pitched battles, I'd study his campaign against Spitamenes, and his techniques toward Porus. Also, last little thing I'll give you, Alexander would not have stopped in battle even if Hephaistion had died in his arms he would have kept going and made sure he killed everyone in sight. Remember you said, you thought Alexander was implusive - yes that can be a negative trait, but in some cases if it is learned to be tempered it can be brillant, and last thing, but very important surprise can be a general's most valuable weapon.

I'm glad I got to read this. You're clever, I think you have a little of Caesar in you...and I do admire Caesar immensely.
ArwenJaneLilyLyra chapter 1 . 6/21/2011
Hello there, Zophiel!

Okay, so today I haven't been up to much, and have mostly been attempting to complete my next Alexander piece...when I thought my head was going to implode, I decided to take a breakm and recalled you had written 2 stories, so came to check this one out..

Needless to say, among your many talents, you have a knack for writing excellently executed battle sequences!

Of course, I knew from the start that Rome would be victorious (this is you writing it, after all _). Though actually, for a moment your line -

"Achilles had found his Hector, at last."

- made me think you were going to follow something of an Achilles/Hektor storyline and kill Hephaestion in the process, as Patroclus dies; I would have been very upset! Though I knew, deep down, you probably wouldn't have killed him ;-)

That said, I do think there is a distinct difference in your writing here and in "A Macedonian Tale", this is a little harder to follow, and the ending is quite abrupt. I understood up to Hephaestion being injured, and then it just seemed to conclude all too suddenly.

I loved that small moment in which Caesar doesn't kill Alexander, almost as if he can't quite bear to rid himself of such an adversary - perhaps he respected Alexander too much to kill him _

Thank you for the wonderful distraction! My tea break is over, now, so I shall love you and leave you here :-)

All the best, good luck in your writing!

~ArwenJaneLilyLyra
JGT-298 chapter 1 . 4/17/2011
Man, I always knew Rome could kick anyone's ass! I wonder what Caesar would do to Ieyasu's Samurai.

Anyway, back to the point. Great story. Epic.
lladydd chapter 1 . 11/21/2010
Hahaha ! So cool ! Alexander against Caesar ! What a great idea !

It was a very thrilling story. You made it fascinating. You are so talented in describing battles. It's really exciting to see these 2 great commanders preparing their strategies and analyzing the other's strategy. They're both clever. And the fact that they end up fighting directly against each other is terrific. They are both excited by this encounter just as the readers. ' The king smiled. This was the only thing he never had, a single combat against a great opponent in the middle of an epic battle. He rushed to encounter Caesar, and Caesar returned the smile ' : this is AWESOME !

The end was unexpected, well not exactly because I was so sure you would make Ceasar win, but I truly wondered how you would explain why Ceasar won and if Alexander would die or not... and I didn't see Hephaistion's injury coming. I loved the fact that Caesar stopped his sword before killing Alexander.

And I have to say one more thing, I appreciated a lot the comparison between the 2 commanders at the begining of the story. I didn't know they had so much in common.

Ok your story was really really cool.

PS: ' No Hephaistions were harmed during the writing of this battle…well just a little ' Hahaha I love your sense of humour !
TheGig chapter 1 . 8/27/2010
Haha that was epic...at least there are still some stories in the www with some niveau and not just reading material which you can read with your brain switched off.

I really love your stories...I've always been fascinated by history especially the roman empire and the time around Alexander the great. Sadly I never really took my time to research it :(

even though the historical facts may not be right I really appreciate your imagination...

And I really do love your other fanfiction... It just always makes my day when I get to read it...

Just keep up your wonderful writing...I'll def keep reading it

Cheers, Gig
Sophea chapter 1 . 8/5/2010
Though I don't know much about Caesar, I must say I like this story. Alexander finally meet his match and his feelings towards Hephaistion was really strong that...I don't want to spoil this so I'll stop here. :P

Thank you for sharing this! :)
Greatest alexander of them all chapter 1 . 7/21/2010
Such a good story! An anti-climax. But I don't think Caesar would ever have 's falling is clear but Alexander's final decision is not. Nor is the Macedonian army's spirit and withdrawal from battle. The end is bit confusing. I thought they were going to call a peace truce or something like that but not that Caesar would have won. Sure, people speak more of Caesar's skills than Alexander but I believe that Alexander would have won. But I really like Alexander's thoughts. And anytway, this is just fanfiction.
Norrsken chapter 1 . 5/13/2010
Dear Zophiel,

Many thanks for sharing this most inventive and imaginative AR/AU tale. I am very fond of both Ancient Greece and Rome. This battle of Titans sure is a treat. I like your vivid descriptions of strategy, battle grounds and actions. You manage very cleverly to describe both POWs and I appreciate to *see* the battle both from Alexander's and Caesar's side.

I will not reveal more for the sake of other readers, but I find your tale a very good, well researched and enjoyable read.

All the best wishes,