Reviews for NGE: Nobody Dies: Ichi's Birthday Party
Uraharaisgod chapter 5 . 2/12/2014
Hrm...I dunno why but this story makes me feel suspect of something in the main plot this spins off, specifically the way Yui acts towards Ichi...oh holy crap...

Just made a bunch of links as I'm typing this between half remembered stuff, how Yui was *injured* in the past a few weeks after the aborted Contact experiment and rushed to hospital, how she was crying a lot in Shinji's eyes during that time, the way Ichi said she had parents constantly and how her mum always cries...

What are the odds that Ichi isn't an AI at all, but is a result of a Contact Experiment? Is Ichi the result of the Contact Experiment gone wrong again, but through say rather than absorbing Yui which it did in canon, say absorbing an unborn child? Is Ichi the *soul* of what would have been Shinji's sister? May just be an out-of-nowhere feeling, but I'm suspicious of the possibility I may be right...

Oh well, back to the main plot (chp 27 for me).
Abezethibou chapter 1 . 1/5/2012
Really, given the simplicity of this story, and the fact that it has been complete for a while now, and the fact that you take your C&C from Spacebattles, and not here, I really might as well not being writing this review. But I will, because this story does deserve it.

It's definitely a fun ride, from start to finish. The plot flows quite well, managing to actually develop an interesting little adventure based on such a simplistic concept. The writing is solid, providing enough information for the viewer to get along. While a couple times more description would have been nice, typically the descriptors used are perfectly adequate, and you can picture the scenes well enough. The way you managed to actually add a touch of melancholy to the event, but still keep the story having an upbeat tone as a whole, is quite impressive.

The characters are quite well done- the fact that you can actually tell the Ree apart, even aside from Rei and Kei, is a fantastic achievement- you manage to add a good chunk of depth to Yui and Ichi through minor interactions. It's really the little things, like the inability to have contact, and simply the way she interacts with the rest of them, that add more to the story than many of the major pieces.

A couple things- as I said, the story is funny enough. However, some of your jokes were just too long-winded for my taste- it took a bit long to get to the punchline, and thus the humor just sort of petered out. Most of the jokes worked, but this was the case for a few of them. Continuity was also a problem. Particularly whether or not it was OK to tell Ichi about her true nature, and how much she already knows.

However, it's a fun little story, and that's all it really tries to be. So kudos on that.
Hijokugei chapter 5 . 2/14/2011
Ooooh, that was suitably epic. Do anudder!
Karg42 chapter 5 . 10/24/2010
This fits ND perfectly, or at least up to Chap 56, which is as far as I've gotten before being directed here.

The Ree's are awesome and I can actually tell them apart besides just Rei, Kei, and the other six. Good on you, man. I'll have to look at the others once I'm further along.
shanejayell chapter 5 . 7/1/2010
Awww.

SUCH a cute fic. :)
Torgamous chapter 3 . 6/28/2010
That got kinda depressing towards the end there.
Torgamous chapter 2 . 6/27/2010
I don't know why I find house-sized birthday hats and cake the size of a parking garage to be so incredibly adorable, but at this point I think Unit 1 beats Yotsuba in cuteness. You have destroyed my faith in a rational universe and given me the mother of all toothaches. I hope you're happy.
shanejayell chapter 2 . 6/24/2010
Awww!

SithKnight-Galen chapter 1 . 5/18/2010
I must admit, this is cute in a psychotically twisted kind of way. However, this is interesting to see the Ikaris in a downtime light and bonding with most of their children...even the not convientionally connected ones.
shanejayell chapter 1 . 5/14/2010

Awww.
DrunkenGrognard chapter 1 . 5/14/2010
A nice, poignant one-shot. My hat is off to you, good sir.
ByLanternLight chapter 1 . 5/14/2010
"Morituri nolumus mori." Truer words have never been spoken. Also, I will forever refer to this chapter mentally as 'The Physics of Feeding a Cake to a Mecha." For objects which don't necessarily obey the laws of physics, SD and SB sure throw around a lot of math.
Gregg Landsman chapter 1 . 5/14/2010
Absolutely adorable and precious. And still mind breakingly terrifying at times, but it's always like that when you write the Rei.