Reviews for Rekindled Humanity
Keeratine chapter 14 . 6/12/2014
Oh my goodness.

This has got to be the most amazing VTM fanfiction I have read, and I've just about read them all (except the slash, lol). I'm in love with your story and Rosalynn.

Your character fits in so well it's unbelievable, and you've managed to keep the characters perfectly in, well, character! I also like how you've portrayed Nines, it's good to see his past actually being bought up.

Sorry for gushing, but I had to say something. You're an amazing author, hope to be seeing more from you in the near future C:
Lemo chapter 8 . 6/3/2014
Jesus one of the genres for this fic should be suspense! I'm on the edge of my frickin seat! - continues reading -
Tolreve Fodrol chapter 12 . 12/21/2013
What are the chances that Emily or her children is also part of the Kindred?
Or Bella is Nines's and Rosalynn's grandchild?
rednightmare chapter 13 . 11/16/2013
Welcome back to the WoD fandom boonies, Liz1986! I remember your story and I’m glad to see you’re writing here again.

Dialogue seems to be your focal point at the moment, and for no small reason. The writing in this chapter is largely grounded in its dialogue, but the dialogue gives a lot of information, and it does some heavy-lifting in terms of moving the plot forward. I notice the way you write dialogue has developed since your last update; have you been doing outside writing? I enjoyed the natural flow of the speech in this installment; you did a very nice job including some filler words, pauses and exclamations that make your characters sound realistic. When fitting, they also sound hesitant, stunted or simply confused.

Damsel’s “Oh, man” works particularly well. It’s not only something she would say; it’s a smart way to show her response to being offended by Rosalynn. The filler “oh, man” is our Den Mother’s head-shake at the Ventrue’s lip – it’s the second of recharge before finding leverage for a good hit-back. It’s very economical of you to capture this exchange in just a few (spoken) words. Rosalynn sees through her delay, though, as you’d expect she would.

I also liked that Damsel is skeptical regarding Rosalynn’s claims about her former life and her attachment (indirectly, but still legitimate) to the Anarch movement. I can agree with her incredulity here, and her defensiveness; it is pretty hard to believe a coincidence of that level. More than that, I can’t see any circumstance in which this wouldn’t make even a fledgling Anarch suspicious, and Damsel, crude as she can be, is no whelp Anarch in LA.

I was surprised Rosalynn bothered speaking to Damsel at all about this. Irksome of her to call Damsel “sweetheart,” and it echoes sensibly of that same period sexism you wrote into Rodriguez’s characterization. I’m starting to really dislike her. Of course, that’s not a problem! There’s no requirement that we like protagonists – only that we can feel a closeness or an interest in them – and some of my favorite characters are ones that make me grind my teeth.

Rosalynn’s voice seems different somehow in this chapter. I know that might be because it’s been a while and your writing approaches to this story may have changed, but I wonder if it might also be a consequence of her being in a compromising position. It’s possible she’s not behaving completely rationally, even as she mentally accuses Damsel of having a senseless devotion. Ventrue being hypocritical is a common theme, after all, in VTMB and the greater World of Darkness.

I'd love to see more description, images and prose to balance out the dialogue. I would also really love to see more of Damsel’s POV, but only if you think there's room for it in this story. You explored it for a line or two, but this chapter was obviously supposed to focus on Rosalynn, and it remained true to that intention. The Den Mother’s speech was so vicious in this, though – I’d be interested in seeing how you tackle her at length. I kind of have this nagging suspicion Damsel might end up betraying Nines at some point. I’m not even sure I can describe why I have this suspicion… just something in the way she and Rosalynn spoke. Clearly this mess is testing Damsel’s loyalties. It’s hard to imagine her abandoning her commitments to Nines, maneuvering behind his back, or even openly resisting his leadership. But it would be phenomenally interesting! (And I might have to end up rooting for Damsel. Nines has been making bad decisions, stupid decisions, selfish and potentially disastrous decisions so far. But now I am getting carried so far away from the facts... fun to conspiracy theorize, though, eh?)

It’s good to see you active again. Hope all is well with you and your writing!
Phoenix-Satori10 chapter 13 . 11/11/2013
Woah... Lizzie updated? Is it must a sign of the apocalypse?

Interesting chapter. Wonder what chaos Rosalynn is going to create thanks to that broken door hinge. I'm betting it's going to be messy.

Ceceli chapter 12 . 12/10/2011
YES, I have been looking for a Nines romance for forever, this is just what I was waiting for. Please don't be dead little story! :3
rednightmare chapter 9 . 7/2/2010
Sorry to hear your ma is feeling under the weather; hope she makes a full recovery soon.

Interesting chapter! I was taken off-guard by some of Nines's language in this chapter. Is that a bit of worn-in sexism I detect? (The emphasis on not just a Prince, but “some *woman.*”) Something I’m sure most of us would consider to be a negative character trait, no doubt - but one I think could fit him very well. He grew up in a much different time; it makes sense that some of that old-fashioned mindset might carry over. Nice characterization.

Not sure what Numbers is thinking, here - IF he indeed IS thinking - he seems rage-drunk. An effect of recent events, perhaps? I’ve got to side with reason in saying that killing a Prince is rarely a wise move. It’s insane luck that neither one of them are privy to one another’s identity. At any rate, I think this is a rare moment of fledgling-level anger for the Anarch.

Speaking of Ros; she’s in a rather sticky situation, isn’t she? I expect she will be able to ring up some contacts - one doesn’t make it to Princehood without plenty of strings - but then again, she seems somewhat prone to bull-rushing through her own agenda personally. (Lucas is in for a freak-out. ) Sucking rats! This action leads me to believe that she is quite a young-minded Ventrue; if not in physicality, then in mentality. Her high position in Kindred society might be somewhat at odds with her isolation in a major city, I think, but I expect she will be able to slide out of this situation yet. (“A single brain cell among them.” Yurk-yurk-yurk. ) I’m curious about the Prince she ended up supplanting. Considering that LaCroix has met a canon timeframe death - and how relatively unguarded Rosalynn is - I’ve got a few suspicions that she could be somehow in cahoots as with Nosferatu Calebros (from the Clan Novel series).

Anyway, good work on this one; looking forward to the next installment!
sister-b chapter 9 . 7/1/2010
Love the characterization in this chapter. Nines's rage really comes out in his conversation with Issac, and I like the little points you put in regarding Issac's disdain for dealing with Gary.

A Ventrue feeding on rats? Even in desperation, it'd be hard to find one who'd stoop so low. Methinks Nines's next clue as to her whereabouts would be a puddle of vomited blood, poor girl.
tigerbalm01 chapter 8 . 6/15/2010
Hi! I just read your story and wow how did I not read this before? your backstories are so interesting, i can't wait for the next chapter. I also can't wait for them to finally meet up! Will Rosalynn and Nines fight, or will they get a chance to explain why they are allied with the sides they have chosen? i'm hoping for a happy reunion obviously, because i just love the brujah anarchs (and Nines of course), but whatever happens I'm sure it will be a major part of your plot. thanks for posting this up!
rednightmare chapter 8 . 5/24/2010
I really like Kali! She might be a younger Anarch of the bunch, but she's got great personality. Her "I'd rather be in Confession..." thoughts were really amusing and added a lot of character. Great banter between she and Damsel, too. ("Mile-long list..." Hahaha. I giggled at that.) Poor Skelter. The things he has to put up with!

I guess Nines knows his group well enough to be able to tell she's the weak link of their bunch when it comes to getting information. Speaking of the Anarchs, though... ow, Rosalynn? Way to take the fight right to an old legend. You have to admire her nerve in taking on Jack without too much hesitation (she carries herself as though she's eager to put him down). Maybe she was too distracted to process that it was Nines bearing down on the door?

At any rate, she certainly seems like a "hands-on" Prince. I wonder what Lucas's thoughts on this stuff would've been?
rednightmare chapter 7 . 5/21/2010
"The Camarilla Nazi." Oh, man - great term.

Damn Strauss! He's really running the both of them through hoops. I felt horrible for Nines at this last chapter, having to face on paper what happened regarding Emily. Holding that death certificate in his hands... ouch. Strauss is a son-of-a-bitch for saying "little Emily" in that same sentence, whether or not he might've felt a bit sorry.

Skelter and Damsel are perfect, too. I love his offhand "Damsel, shut up" meeting her vicious enthusiasm. Speaking of lines I love: "Holy shit... you're Smilin' Jack!" It's so un-Camarilla-ish and well-suited to the situation; we see into Rosalynn's character even further with this little moment of genuine surprise. (Here's hoping nobody dies in the impending explosion...)

Nice plot, nice explorations! Looking forward to more!
rednightmare chapter 4 . 5/19/2010
Anytime ) Definitely a sorrowful chapter, this round, but it's a really nice look into a very fleshed-out backstory. You've added a lot to this character in addition to making your own from scratch. Great to read such an original new take; can't say I've seen anybody handle Bloodlines quite like this before! I also appreciate the historical angle you worked in via the Great Depression era. You didn't lay it on so thick it felt like a textbook, but you provided a concise, gritty glimpse at one family's hardships.

I really like how you handled the anarchs' dialogue in this chapter, too; it sounds just right. And another new character! Looking forward to hearing more about Kali.
sister-b chapter 4 . 5/18/2010
Wow. Hard chapter to read, only because Nines's memories are so heart-wrenching. Brought tears to my eyes to think of him being wrenched from his family after that. I'm really enjoying reading this. Nice work.
rednightmare chapter 3 . 5/16/2010
Just finished up on your next two chapters. Lots of information laid out in short order - but you paced it very well!

Good for you on taking a new view of Nines. I think many of us often assume his nobility is just too good to be true - but hey, if that's not Kindred skeptics at play, I don't know what is. There's nothing at all in-game to really suggest he isn't honestly a straightforward, heartfelt person with a thicker exterior. You've got a unique take that makes him your own character but still keeps the foundations set up by Bloodlines; that's great work.

While I might be careful about using the name 'Bella' these days (simply to avoid people mistaking your work for a crossover), it certainly seems like you've got a large-scale plot in mind! I'm looking forward to reading on as you unfurl it for us. )
rednightmare chapter 1 . 5/15/2010
Really fun and interesting to read about a Camarilla Prince - particularly one who hadn't set herself up in the VtM-standard Los Angeles domain. I'm very curious to read more about Rosalynn and her (un)life... how she attained the position, what her story was like beforehand. She seems like an excellent model of what Ventrue should aspire to be!

You've got some great ideas, here. And they're well-written, to boot!

Looking forward to more,