Reviews for The River
KING 9025 chapter 9 . 1/17
It's been a while since I've read this story but once I saw it had updated an immediate reread happened! I've always enjoyed the double-agent plot twist and to have it applied to one of my favorite fictional characters is simply everything I could have wanted. Especially with the twist that you applied to the trope.

I'm quite interested to know what happened to Faith since her supposed death. And to see her go up against Glory!

If you're ever in need of an editor, please do keep me in mind.

I look forward to the next update.
The Undiscovered Country chapter 9 . 11/14/2016
I wanted to add:
I enjoyed how this played out, it didn't take a large stretch of imagination to believe how the plot progressed. I must admit however that I was a bit disappointed that we weren't able to see Buffy use the correct (read:unselfish and empathetic) words to rid Faith of her anger in a non-magical way. It would take great character development for both Buffy and Faith to be able to undergo such a change.

Although it's helpful that we found the trigger for Faith being 'good', and it's a believable magic, I kind of feel like that means the Good Faith is fake. It makes me not like Willow/Wesley, because in a way they've violated Faith to get what they want: an easy way out. If I were Good Faith I would question if the Scoobies ever liked me or only liked me when they were psychologically controlling me. So I would like to see Buffy work hard to help 'Bad Faith' (who in my head is just Faith) let go of her anger and to show Faith that she can love her and be friends with her without controlling her mind and/or emotions. That way we get to see character developments where Buffy learns to empathise (for someone living in a weird world she's always so quick to judge and condemn) and talk openly, and we get to see Faith understand how to deal with her own emotions in a less aggressive manner (maybe she needs a psychologist?).

But that's just me, I still really enjoy this story and hope there's more to come!
Minahmino chapter 9 . 10/4/2016
Really good start of a, I hope, larger story! It is well-written and I enjoyed the pace. I definitly follow the author for future add on :D

Keep writing, you're really good at it :) Thank you for this fic and your time writing this.
RogueWolf69 chapter 9 . 9/27/2016
YOUR BACK! :D This is awesome... This story is one of my favorites so i got lucky when i checked my favorites for something to reread. Honestly i was disappointed that no sequel ever came but i still hoped for it.
Guest chapter 9 . 9/27/2016
Please write!
Dragoncatcher123 chapter 8 . 2/2/2015
This was amazing! I really hope that you end up doing a continuation of this because it's soooooo good! 3
BADWOLF22 chapter 8 . 8/27/2014
wow! I love love love love this! Please get back to writing this... I really want to see your rewrite of the next season!
Micktrex chapter 8 . 1/10/2013
I have a lot to say about this fic so bare with me if this turns into an essay!

First off, I loved it. In its entirety I enjoyed it immensely and I want that to be abundantly clear before I say anything else.

The story was gripping and one of the best AU plot lines to run through the events of season 3 that I've ever read. The original characters you created were engaging, believable and were handled with great care by yourself. The use of existing characters, both of the main cast and background variety were executed almost always successfully and I found it very clever how you worked in deaths and events from the original season 3 to add familiarity and believable drama to your story, whilst almost giving a sense that some things would always take place no matter the alternate universe e.g. the deaths of Percy and Larry, Giles being forced to leave his employment through firing rather than destruction of his previous working premise, Angel choosing to leave town, etc.

In the same vain I enjoyed the way you recycled dialogue from season 3 in completely different scenes that acted as an echo of the original universe, and again reflecting on that irking sensation that certain things were always inevitable and written in stone. But when it came to you working dialogue of your own around these familiar lines you still managed to keep people in character and I often found myself pausing to remember if certain lines were original or from the show - so the combination definitely paid off.

I also loved your portrayal of side characters that most fics usually shun. People like Wesley, Anya and Cordelia became integral parts to the story and Wesley in particular was dealt with superbly, making him more human and easier to empathize with than in many other stories I've read. In a strange way this was his story, a journey of his attempt to fix a 'problem' and his struggle against a universe that seemingly wants him to fail at every step of his misguided endeavors.

This is one of those fics where there was hardly any inclination toward a Buffy/Faith pairing and yet I was completely entertained throughout. The twist at the end threw me a little and though I could almost sense that it was coming it still surprised me. But it fits perfectly with this story, it makes the beginning chapters even better as it explains just why Faith seemed slightly out of character. The funny thing was after the first few chapters I was thinking this Faith isn't quite Faith, but her cheekiness is infectious and she still has enough of her personality to not feel out of character essentially creating a happier version of Faith that was incredibly endearing.

I don't know what the person who wrote the review "Goodbye" is on about. They clearly don't get that the twist throws away nothing, and better yet, sticks to the canon of the season to show that "Actually, no, it's not that easy to bounce back from all that anger that existed before the scene on the docks". This again makes the events in this story all the more believable. It's a pity that particular reader is so bitter about it but watcha gonna do?

The ending, though sad, felt almost poetic. You're left not knowing which version of Faith jumped into that pit with Wilkins and whether her true self has finally crossed the line that brings her back to reality. The fact you ended it on Buffy's question was a great way to finish things rather than drag out a few angst-ridden pages where she blames herself, etc, etc. So good call on that one.

My only criticisms off this fic will seem minor after all that gushing but I feel they're worth pointing out.

Typos.

Now I'm not some crazy grammar nazi. I can ignore typos to an extent, but I noticed a very weird pattern in your writing with certain words. You often mixed up "in" and "on" and "sighed" and "sighted". Once or twice is a mistake we can all make but after noticing it for the twentieth time I had to stop and wonder if you honestly didn't know which was the correct word to use. Like I said this is a minor complaint but you can never underestimate how one word can take someone out of the story because they have to take the time to stare at it in confusion, test the sentence again and then correct it in their mind to continue. An example like "They were in the dance floor." Seems innocent enough but images of the slayers boogieing so hard that they break the walls between dimensions and dance through the floor itself do crop to mind! :D

Nobody else seems to have mentioned these constant word mix ups that run though the fic but then I think most people worry they'll offend the writer. I mean not to insult you in anyway at all and on contrary hope to help you avoid or edit the problem in future. All you need is a good beta and I'd be happy to do it if you were unsure on which word is best or if exhaustion and fatigue just often leave you unenthusiastic for proof reading fun-time.

Another minor gripe was sometimes I felt you used words in a sentence that weren't necessary or complicated the tense. But again Betas can sort that stuff out and this is really my only two grievances with an otherwise superb story. You often wrote with great skill, imagination and depth so to see certain sentences or paragraphs that didn't feel quite right had the effect of making them stick out like a sore thumb among an otherwise immaculate set of healthy digits.

And now, since I've grown a full beard since starting this review, I will end it here and go have a shave. I will look for your continuation of this series and if it isn't out yet I hope to see it someday soon. :) Though believe me, I know what its like to have sucky muses...
soulstealer247 chapter 8 . 6/1/2012
This is an awesome take on "Choices", I really can't think of anyone else who has such an intricate alternate universe surrounding that season, which is one of my favorites. Looking forward to more :)
crossxavier chapter 8 . 5/13/2012
I loved the story. Lots of interesting little twists though my favorite was having the Faith that went over to the mayor being the complete Faith. I loved that so much especially since it makes the Scoobies to make a decision on whether or not they should keep the new Faith or the true Faith. The dilemma is intriguing and brings out a lot of truths about the characters on how they react to the unveiling of the truth and their decision on which Faith should be in control. It does not surprise me that they choose to try to just have the new Faith but what did was the ones who went with this decision. I am seeing this as them taking the easy way out and not wanting to deal with the true Faith. I always thought that the Scoobies never really tried to accept Faith in the series and though they seem to in the story they go back as they realize that really accepting Faith for who she is would also mean accepting all the anger she is keeping inside. I am not saying that they made the wrong decision as she is in the dark at the moment and it will save lives to bring out the new Faith. However, it seems to me that they want the new Faith to stay and never try to deal with the true Faith at all. The last part with Faith taking the mayor with her was a stroke of genius I did not see coming. I can only hope that you decide to continue with the series as you have done an amazing job with this part of it.
Moon FireStar chapter 8 . 4/11/2012
this was freaking awesome ...even if you don't write a part two ...I'm glad you completed this ... it was so not what I expected and I love the way you wrote Faith ...both versions ...til next time
Goodbye chapter 8 . 3/27/2012
Why was I following this? Seriously, why?

Ah well, it doesn't matter as I won't be following any other BtVS stories that you write. The basic concept of Faith being brainwashed to be bad was a good one though, but then again you threw that out too didn't you. Alright.

And to think I followed this for, what, a year?
MayhemPrincess chapter 8 . 3/23/2012
You are going to write a sequel right? right? Please? I'll do anything...well not really but I'll pout and look pathetic... and beg? Please?

Okay, lame rant aside even if you don't write a sequel this story is still amazing. Really got me to feel for the characters just like the show did before.

Poor Wesley he must feel awful, and I can't imagine how Buffy must react to Faith's "death" (please write a sequel,please?), or Faith's thoughts when she woke up to see what the other self did to Buffy.

All in all great story! It definitely deserves to be continued.
slayerkent chapter 8 . 3/22/2012
EEEKKK! this was awesome! i haven't reveiewed in such a long time i have forgotten my password! BUT THIS STORY WAS AWESOME! OMG best S3 rewrite EVER! PLEASE PLEASE PLEAAAAASSSSSSSEEE keep this going! I love your Faith both good and bad! Your writing style is awesome and omg i could go on and on and on like a crazy person how awesome this was...cant wait for the next update! and i cant wait to reset my password!
BuffysGirl chapter 8 . 3/15/2012
OMG! When I saw that this was posted I literally did a happy dance! I had almost given up hope that you would continue this story. It is hands down the best season 3 rewrite I have read, and I've read a lot of them. Honestly, I am not the slightest bit upset by Faith's sacrifice in the end because I feel she DID need to do that. I sometimes feel Joss and the writers let Faith's character down with the wrap-up of her storyline. I love Faith and feel they half-assed her redemption in some ways. I also feel you were very true to the writing style of the show, leaving most of the season 3 Fuffyness something hidden to be interpretted. When you continue this story into the next book, be assured I will be looking forward to reading it. Cheers!