Reviews for Sapphires Set in Diamonds
telegramsam chapter 1 . 1/22
Thank you so much for this story, Gimli's quiet shame at daring to love an Elf is heartbreaking, and Galadriel's insistence that she not dismiss or judge herself by another race's standard is touching. Also, it's very unusual to find genderswapped versions of Tolkien dwarves, either in fanfiction or fan art, that really hold to what Tolkien wrote about them (that they were bearded and did not differ greatly in appearance from male dwarves), too many people just chicken out and draw or write them as though they were just short human women in dwarf clothing and that always disappoints me, so thank you for holding true to what Dwarf women are meant to be :)
Nachtwelt chapter 1 . 5/4/2013
I'm not a fan of the whole Gimli being a woman, BUT:
I really liked Galadriel in this. And also how you explained, that dwarfs are beautiful in their own way.
And my absolut favorit part was "...He found out soon enough, though, and it did not matter."
Which is just an amazingly perfect statement.
Because Gimli being male or female, was never really relevant at all.
Good work! Thank you for sharing this.
Guest chapter 1 . 4/29/2013
Omg this is super super cute!
Raynidreams chapter 1 . 7/20/2012
Was just searching for some short fic to read and I realised I'd never read any of your LotR - this is gorgeous, just wonderfully written and a beautiful expression of Gimli's thoughts.
Nenya Kanadka chapter 1 . 3/21/2012
And whyever didn't I read your LOTR fic before this? :) I've seen this one around but only clicked through when a Mark Reads commenter linked it. (They're trying to fill Mark in on fifty years of LOTR fandom in one post-entirely ambitious project, indeed.)

This was lovely, especially the lines about dwarf women and beauty, and Gimli's skills with jewels and mithril, and Galadriel. I also love the reinterpretation of the line about Gimli's hands flowing with gold but not being dominated by it.

In short, I ship it. Lovely.
rabidsamfan chapter 1 . 3/21/2012
Oh, glory. That's amazing. I'm so glad that someone over at markreads dot net pointed it out.
Nieriel Raina chapter 1 . 4/1/2009
This is brilliant.
Uma Thermus chapter 1 . 5/28/2007
Wow, an interesting twist! Those tricksy dwarves...

In whatever form the relationship between these two has always been my favorite aspect of the trilogy, and this story adds another...facet to that relationship...
Harlequin Love chapter 1 . 3/11/2007
While I found it disturbing at the image of Gimli and Legolas doing something so affectionate, I liked how you depicted the longing and I lol'd at the Dwarf being a woman.

I liked how you easily expressed where Dwarfs were beautiful since I had never thought of it like that. :]
Melissa chapter 1 . 1/22/2006
I actually found this funny. I do not know wether you were serious or not but I needed that little laugh.
Almenel-Miriel chapter 1 . 12/5/2005
Wow! Eerily amazing. I dont know what to say...
Evandar chapter 1 . 11/25/2005
That was a very interesting and well written twist on the usual Legolas/Gimli pairing...and it is possible that Gimli was female.

I really enjoyed reading this and I will check out your other Fics if there are any.
Fwe chapter 1 . 8/1/2005
That was wonderful! Very original. Heh, I like the idea a lot actually. *goes into daydream about L/G* Hm... It was beautifully written and very touching. (I also didn't laugh at it, which proves that this is believable). Great job!
miralo chapter 1 . 7/15/2005
I'm truly starting to worry about my sanity after the last few lines sorry,(i can't help it)but besides that, I think it's a wonderfully written twist!
RavenLady chapter 1 . 3/31/2005
First, some hairsplitting.

"They seldom walk abroad except at great need. They are in voice and appearance, and in garb if they must go like to the dwarf-men that the eyes and ears of other peoples cannot tell them apart."

Well, the fate of Middle-earth seems like a sufficent reason to travel, so I'd say this works.

As far as dwarf-women having beards, who's to say whether that's "appearance" or "garb?" I bet dwarves could manage a convincingly fake beard. But it works either way.

Anyway. I love how you used Galadriel in this. And this certainly is a new look at things. You like turning accepted concepts upside down, don't you?