Reviews for As Epochs for Days
Magenta Moon chapter 1 . 12/27/2012
Does Abel kill Naoya?
bookwormtiff chapter 1 . 4/15/2012
Beautiful. Beautiful. Beautiful.

The best piece I've read in the fandom thus far, heck, the best thing I've read in a long while. Characterisation was spot on; Naoya was wonderfully complex (nothing's ever black and white...) and his multiple lives and relationship with 'Abel' throughout those lives... Those differing circumstances really did develop and solidify him as a character.

And it's not just Naoya. I find myself lingering over MC/Hiro's actions (That plot twist really did take me by surprise!). His decision to kill Naoya in... retribution... doesn't seem 'evil' or 'demonic' at all in hindsight. It could be taken as merely something to balance the equation; a life for a life so that Cain may be atoned. That alone says so much about the MC and his character; he may be corrupted, evil, and yet... not.

But the one little thing I loved most was the name 'Hiro' itself for the MC. It's very clever. That way there was no dissention between possible names and therefore less distraction as I read.

Thank you so much for writing. I'd love it if you contributed more to this fandom!
Aurelene chapter 1 . 1/16/2012
Simply lovely! This is exactly the quality of work I was hoping for when I decided to search for Devil Survivor fics. The fact that they are so rare is a travesty in itself, and the fact that most of them are nigh illegible or pairing-centric is a disappointment.

The flashbacks to previous lives and to Naoya's thoughts were refreshing. Getting a slight glimpse of what happened between the infamous Cain and Abel story and the present left me wanting more-each incarnation, even that of the original Quayin, made me want to pull apart each of those individual characters and see how they ticked.

Naoya is a ridiculously complex character that most people typecast, depending on their preferring ending or affiliation, as just a sympathetic woobie anti-hero, or a downright villain, and to see more in-depth characterization is a breath of fresh air.

His interactions with the different Abels were also excellent-the resentment, the glimpses of his present opinion ("his posture relaxed enough to indicate that he's not kneeling at Hiro's feet, he's just. Kneeling." "When he gives Naoya a sidelong glance, eyes glowing and sly in a way Naoya has never imagined, Naoya thinks- maybe. Just maybe. THis is the most wonderful thing he's ever seen.") is simply wonderful.

Another thing that you touched on that I've always privately wondered myself was how exactly Naoya planned out the main character entering into the competition for Bel, considering that it seemed to be such a fluke. Your take on the familiar pun was excellent, and shall forever be my headcanon.

Naoya's long history with Loki fits in marvelously with the glimpses we are treated in-game to their relationship, and even his slight interaction with Lucifer was done tastefully and true to both of their characters.

As far as the style of writing... marvelous. Some of your descriptions of the atmosphere seemed to pull me in more so than if I were there myself, particularly the description of Hiro sitting on the stereotypical teenage bed and having it described as looking more like a throne than any castle's. The acknowledgment of other human beings during Qayin's time, and the sheer amount of thought that went into the backstories was excellent.

As a whole, while not a long read, it was certainly a worthwhile one, and you do the fandom proud whereas most people fall short. Thank you for your excellent contribution!
Laryna6 chapter 1 . 3/5/2011
This.

This is exactly the story I wished existed after I played the game and couldn't find then. Favoriting.
mangafreak0.0 chapter 1 . 10/24/2010
Wow...this is amazing. I'm so happy that there are Devil Survivor fanfics out there and this is so touching. Even though the game doesn't elaborate that much on the characters' personalities, I think you've done an epic job of fleshing them out. The way you've woven the flashbacks and the present together is very effective. I especially love how Loki is in it to 3
nothign to see here chapter 1 . 9/26/2010
Holy...

Actually, that's kind of the wrong word to use here, isn't it? Haha, anyways, that was an amazing read. It's going straight into my favourites.
Samurai5725 chapter 1 . 7/9/2010
Everyone keeps saying it, but this really was such a great story. :) I couldn't think of anything that would be better, so... awesome job! Thank you for writing this.
Deep Space Cowgirl chapter 1 . 6/5/2010
...this is one of the best things I've ever read. I really like how you interveave Naoya's flashbacks with the celebration party (or is it the other way around...?), and the brief mentions of people who might be the defecting party members (Yuzu, Midori) that I almost missed. I honestly have no nitpicks. This is awesome.
vodkaCanidae chapter 1 . 6/2/2010
This is friggin awesome! There seriously needs to be more fics like this out there. Love how everything flows so smoothly, from past to present while playing out the story. AWESOME
PokehTurtle chapter 1 . 6/1/2010
Cool story. I didn't see anything wrong with it, and it's quite an interesting premise. Really good work here
Kitty chapter 1 . 5/30/2010
This is just so great. I like a lot of things about it: your writing style, the flashbacks to previous lives, the way the characters interact, the Devil Summoner reference...

Made my day. Great work!