Reviews for Points of No Return
EinIII chapter 31 . 8/27/2015
Hooked from start to finish, wonderful story.
probablyahufflepuff chapter 31 . 11/2/2014
Congratulations on a wonderful ending to a great story. I already loved Ron and you made me love him more!
Guest chapter 1 . 10/11/2013
This story is really stupid. Maybe it looks good from a night zephyr but down here on the ground it's ugly.
Shadow Cat17 chapter 31 . 8/5/2013
I loved reading this story!
apyjoe chapter 31 . 2/12/2013
Loved this story. Once I started to read it I couldn't stop.
Simple Heiress chapter 1 . 11/29/2012
Wow, this story is godawful. Stunningly terrible in every conceivable way. JKR should sue you for such rampant defamation of the characters she created, Hermione in particular. You make voldemort look better than she does.

Hopefully the past dates on your stories mean that you've died and are no longer able to rape the world of Harry potter.
Cupid's Heart of Gold chapter 1 . 6/23/2012
Hermione is quite the harpy in this story. It's kind of interesting that you chose to portray her that way...I mean, this story is pretty long to have such a shrill and unlikable character have such a major role.

Although, it really doesn't matter how unlikable she is, you were able to just coast on the goodwill that JKR built up for Hermione in canon. That's why fanfic is so great, you don't have to write good characterizations, you can just use the names of already-existing characters and people will like them no matter what.
Night Zephyr chapter 30 . 5/18/2012
Hahaha! *points* Look! Troll in the Dungeon!
F Maurice chapter 1 . 4/19/2012
Interesting. I wonder if the mother wallabindle licking Ron had something to do with his "visions." Very interesting.
Anne Weasley chapter 1 . 1/25/2012
I don't know if you'll actually read this, but I just wanted to say how much I love this fic. I read it all the way back before Book 5 was released, when I was 15 years old. It's been years, but I still remember Points of No Return as my favorite fanfic of all time. I mostly remember it as something that helped me get through the agonizing wait for Order of the Phoenix, but also as an extraordinarily well written story that was even better because I shared it with my best friend. At the time, my friend didn't have Internet at her house, so I would save each new chapter on a floppy disk and take it to her at school so she could read the story too. I have such good memories of that agonizing/exciting time between Books 4 and 5, reading HP fanfiction in general and this story in particular.

Something made me look this fic up this morning (I suppose it was mostly my desire to procrastinate online instead of actually getting work done) and as soon as I saw it, I just wanted to say something. If you ever read this, thanks for writing such an amazing story that I still remember close to 10 years after reading it.
idol269 chapter 31 . 10/10/2011
Hi,

I'd like to respond to your reply if I could. First of all, I thought the "12 Fail-Safe Ways" book in DH was hilarious, so you've got that wrong. I think we actually share a common view of Ron. He's selfless, brave, and loyal. However, Ron is a very immature youth who goes through growing pains in his journey to adulthood. Along that journey were character deficiencies that had to be improved, such as insensitivity and jealousy. I understand that, and the thought of Ron actually recognizing his need to improve-and actually reading a book to do it!-was very entertaining.

My problem with this story is with the Ron/Hermione relationship dynamic, not Ron's character itself. You have portrayed a Ron who doesn't seem to display any major deficiencies at all, yet still gets treated by Hermione like he does. There are some questionable actions by Ron up until the Quidditch match, but after that point he acts like a responsible and mature man, standing up for Valeria and his family, and standing up with Harry to Voldemort. He never hesitates to use his gift in pursuit of what's right.

He seems to make no mistakes from the time when the group gets stranded after the Quidditch match, yet Hermione treats him like he's cheated on her-and they're not even in a relationsip at this point. To see her be so wrong about Ron in so many ways, and never acknowledge how poorly she treated him, was very frustrating. Even worse was seeing Ron nearly choke on guilt, even when he didn't do anything wrong. He was feeling guilty for Hermione's mistakes, and reading that had me incredulous. You're talking about Ron's characterization...tell me, do you think you had his characterization pegged when you had him acting this way? There is no way that canon Ron would just accept Hermione's treatment of him and feel guilty if Hermione acted that way to him. That is what I mean by lapdog. Ron would be a teenage boy and give her the cold shoulder right back. So it looks like you wrote a post-12 Fail-Safe ways Ron afer all.

In addition, your "self-centered arse" and "funniest bloke" comments are great insight into your view on Ron's characterization, but they are a complete non-sequiter to what I was saying earlier. I never once made any mention of wanting Ron to put the moves on Valeria to get back at Hermione. Ron doesn't encourage Valeria's affections in any way in the story, so he obviously is not being a "self-centered arse." I fact, he puts others first for the whole story...that's why it was so irritating to see Hermione treat him the way she did. She had no faith in him at all, and that really upset me. And when she finally wised up with their discusssion in the loft, Ron all but tripped over himself trying to convince her that he didn't do anything...whay does he have to convince Hermione to have faith in him? Why would he so unbothered that the person he loves thought so little of him as to believe that he'd get with another girl right in front of her? He doesn't even care about that; he just expresses relief that she's not angry anymore. Is Ron going to have to pick up Hermione's slack in their relationship every time Hermione makes a mistake? There is no way they will last if that's the case.

So I'll ask you: what do you think of the way Hermione acted? It's obviously not as bad as I think, because I'm not one of the hundreds of other reviewers who found your story to be flawless. On top of that, no one in the story was upset over anything Hermione did...not Valeria, even though Hermione treated her like a possessed freak...and not Ron for getting on his case when he was the only one in the entire world who could save Valeria from Dementors. Maybe you can use small words to explain the situation to this dunce!

As for why I kept reading, this story was very well-writen, and the plot was very well-conceived and well-executed. I just had some major reservations about character actions.

PS: As proof of my limited intelligence, the first few times I saw you sign off "NZ" I thought to myself, "What does New Zealand have to do with anything?" But then I recognized it as Night Zephyr...so there may still be hope for me yet! lol

Thanks!
Night Zephyr chapter 31 . 10/8/2011
Lapdog? Really? Wow lol. Interesting that you're still reading, actually. If you don't like this, you must have really hated it when JKR had Ron working on Hermione via instruction of "Twelve Fail-Safe Ways to Charm Witches" lol! Sorry you didn't enjoy the read, but it looks to me like you and I just have a fundamental difference in our perceptions of Ron. While mine is certainly not a pushover here imo, he has NO problems being his own man once you actually let him grow up past being barely 16 and out of his insecurity into full-blown manhood, complete with self-esteem. But a jump straight into the Ron we all know post-DH would have been seriously OOC here imo (not to mention this was written with only what we knew of him post-GoF). Still, even as an adult, 'my' Ron will hardly be the self-centered sort of arse that hits on other women while he's going with Hermione (or anyone else, for that matter), or who is overly-concerned with whether he's the funniest bloke in the room. (That type is so often covering up a lot of inner insecurities with that macho garbage, anyway, imo.) I also think I'll have to go with the hundreds-plus reviews that have told me Ron's characterization here is much like in canon, instead of the handful that quibble. Again - sorry you wasted your time - and good luck ficcing elsewhere. ~NZ~
idol269 chapter 26 . 10/6/2011
"There are things you have to do, and things I have to do-and this is one of mine." I can't *believe* she said that with a straight face!

Is Hermione serious? When Ron told her about the things he had to do with Valeria, she went off the deep end. But she says one thing, and Ron agrees like the good little lapdog he is. I'll give you credit, at least Ron's consistently a loser. This story has at least one good thing going for it: one of the worst relationship dynamics I've ever read. It's fascinating to read the awfulness! lol
idol269 chapter 25 . 10/5/2011
Ugh, this story is pathetic now. I was enjoying it until this chapter. Hermione has been so cold towards Ron this whole story...but she gives Ron one kiss and he's ready to do whatever she wants? She didn't even apologize. She said she was wrong but not sorry; it's an important distinction.

You've turned Ron into a lapdog, and a neutered one at that. This story started out with a very interesting premise, a Ron-based story where he actually has a gift instead of harry or Hermione. But in the end, he just does whatever Hermione tells him to do like every other story. He comes when she says to come, he kisses her when she tells him to, he can't be happy unless she's ok with it, he can't be close to another girl without her freaking out. I'm usually a huge R/Hr fan, but I really hate the way they're portrayed here; I wish they weren't even together. It makes no sense to me. Ron's feelings are completely untethered to the way she treats him...why is he with her?

I feel disappointed and even a little cheated about how this has turned out. Usually successful relationships have co-equal partners, and some give and take. Ron and Hermione have none of that. Well, maybe it will work out anyway...after all, we already know that Hermione likes having pets. I just hope Ron's ok with being third in importance behind Harry and Crookshanks.
idol269 chapter 19 . 10/5/2011
It's not worth it Ron, you're right. Hermione-and Harry apparantly-have no faith in you. If Hermione won't trust you and will treat you like garbage this easily when you're trying to do the right thing, you're better off without her. Good riddance...and good luck to her trying to find someone else crazy enough to want to be with her when she's such a bitch for no reason.