Reviews for How Do You Say
Sofie.C chapter 1 . 7/4
This is an amazing and truly beautiful story, a prescious gem of writing I have found per chance (aus Zufall). It calls to me in a most touching manner, for two reasons in particular: The first one is, "Little Women" has been one of the rirst real novels I have read at a very young age (around 11, I guess) and it has defintely been the first piece of American literature I have read. Jo and her sisters are holding a very special place in my heart since then.
The secon reason is, that being German mself (just like Friedrich - how do Americans even pronouns that name?) and struggling all the time to find the right words in English, I am in total awe of your abilty to capture and describe the differences between English and German so absolutely fitting. Plus you have painted a magnificent image of 19th century Berlin.

I felt immensly touched by the melancholy and the sense of yearning to belong which is shinning through in Friedrichs musings. I felt also drown to your idea of having the complexity of Germans relation mirrored in the variety of second persons pronouns.
This is a complexe issue indeed, which makes me prefer to watch American/English movies in English and read American/English novels in English, because translations often do not find the fitting prenoun.

To do all of this and, you must have a profound understanding of German. Plus you are a gifted writer, who is able to create certain moods and images with her choice of language.

Thank you for gifting us with this wonderful story and for making me muse about my first language. Vielen herzlichen Dank, ich habe mich sejr über dieses wunderschöne Geschichte gefreut!
meldahlie chapter 1 . 7/17/2016
An excellent study - of German, and blossoming love!
Luise chapter 1 . 5/11/2016
This ist beautifully writen. I am German und must say, you translate most of it very well. I care for you means Ich sorge mich um dich or more poetic Ich bin dir zugetan.
And it is said: Alles in Maßen.
theartistformerlyknownasgenevi chapter 1 . 4/21/2013
Absolutely beautiful. Well-paced, and subtle, and it gives such lovely insights into Fritz's thoughts. Thank you for writing it!
SomeoneNew86 chapter 1 . 12/2/2012
Loved this, beautifully done!
FancyFreeThinker101 chapter 1 . 7/29/2012
Oh, my God, you're brilliant! Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful! Thanks you again for all these lovely one shots!
VioletHawk chapter 1 . 5/1/2012
They so belong together :)
zammba chapter 1 . 2/29/2012
Oh, this is just indescribably heart warming and touching. Fritz/Jo fics are so rare, good ones even more so, which is a great pity really. I'm so glad I stumbled on this!
qwAEUI chapter 1 . 1/13/2012
Amazingly written.
reasonablysunny chapter 1 . 7/27/2010
I want to say thank you for writing this story. It's a lovely vignette, and I'm so happy to read such a description of the thoughts of dear Friedrich. I recently looked into Little Women fanfic for the first time and was distressed to see how little love for him there is in the fandom - Laurie is nice, yes, but it's the dear Professor Jo (and I!) fell in love with!

The German, too, was lovely; in the past few weeks I have been mourning my decision to stop studying the language a few years ago. Now my vocabulary is pathetic, my grammar is awful, and I miss how beautiful it all is. Vielen Dank!
Emerald Zen chapter 1 . 5/19/2010
Kudos! I'll admit that normally I could care less about Bhaer, but I found this story very sweet. You are a terrific writer! Pls write more stories for this fandom?
K-Jaye chapter 1 . 5/19/2010
This is my first time to read any Little Women fan fic and I have to say I love it! Very very sweet, I love the relationship between Jo and Friedrich very much. :D
Beth Rose Harker chapter 1 . 5/19/2010
Wow! I can't say how impressed I am by this story. It's intellegent and wonderfully done, and delves more deeply into the mind of Bhaer than any other Little Women fic I've seen. I love the look at the differences between German and English (I used to be very passionate about studying German, and though my German's pretty terrible these days, I know enough to know that what you've written rings true.). You also made the Jo/Bhaer relationship seem really sweet here, which is saying something, as I'm usually a die-hard Jo/Laurie shipper. This goes on my favorites!