Reviews for The Beginning of Wisdom
ScribeofHeroes chapter 1 . 7/24/2014
Ah! Suddenly a great deal more about Jadis makes sense. Great writing here in visual details, much shown rather than said. Incredible work, keep writing.
Eavis chapter 1 . 5/21/2010
How...unnerving. My word. You've got Acernos down pat. Or rather, he is exactly like one would imagine Jadis' relatives to be like.

God be with you,

Eavis
ilysia chapter 1 . 5/20/2010
This packs such power into such a short space- it's astounding. And, really, there's so much here. The distance suggested between Jadis and her father (who is only, at this point, a Crown Prince) says much, and I was particularly fascinated by her father's sharpening of the knife with nought but a word of power. I love the history that's created for Charn just in those few details, but also, of course, with the nurse's forced suicide.

Lilith's teaching is quite interesting (and arrogant in the extreme, as rth noted), and yet it's something that Jadis quite obviously learned, and learned well. After all, she destroyed her entire world. Replaceable, indeed.
bookworm chapter 1 . 5/20/2010
Utterly chilling. Well done.
Autumnia chapter 1 . 5/19/2010
I like this look at Jadis' childhood. She's still human here, and somewhat caring about others even if she does consider them as her property. And it's interesting to see partly how she ended up being what she was, when you see how the people all around her treat others.
rthstewart chapter 1 . 5/19/2010
Phew. Your Jadis is always a piece of work and so here we begin to see why. Nasty begets nasty. I especially found the evocative color really added to the piece - the black liquid on white sleeve, the bone white tea cup (which is clutched in white, stiff, bony hands, we KNOW), and the red we know must accompany the nurse as she kills herself.

I find it interesting too that Lilith's teaching is that even the gods are replaceable. I'm not sure what to make of that statement that is truly the height of arrogance, but it does work so well for Jadis.

Awesome as always.
redcat512 chapter 1 . 5/18/2010
wow, that was a rather startlingly morbid thing for a child to go through. i suppose he acceptance of the fact hints at a harsh and cruel manner being forced upon her in her up-bringing.

pretty good take on Jadis. it's interesting to see that a part of her was once less cruel.

as always, great reading your stuff.
Shizuku Tsukishima749 chapter 1 . 5/18/2010
Dude... Harsh as HECK... O.O

Poor chief nurse! And for spilling TEA...O.o Dude (again)... Rock on, though! This was such a gorgeous oneshot! And does it make SENSE, too...! *U* Absolutely beautiful!