Reviews for The Eye of the Beholder
Guest chapter 1 . 12/5/2016
I dont find Helga ugly. Her hair and unibrow dont flatter her. But the second she dresses up in dinner for four or as Cecile. I think she is really pretty. I think she is the prettiest girl on the show. By far. Lila and Ruth and Rhonda arent pretty. But they are supposed to be. But Helga when she tries actually is striking looking.
Victoria chapter 1 . 8/31/2013
i fell in love with this fic
DeathOrchard chapter 1 . 8/29/2013
I completely agree! Beauty is subjective :) and really, everyone is beautiful in some way or another, whether it's physically or in their
personality. A lot of the time, it's a combination of both. When you really like someone's personality, you tend to find them more physically attractive as well. It's like a "spillover effect".
Puella Pulchra chapter 1 . 1/6/2012
I loved it. It reminded me of the song According to You by Orianthi.

Again I loved it
HAFanForever chapter 1 . 11/27/2010
Yep, it's true: beauty is the eye of the beholder.

Not that Helga cares too much for her looks, but yeah, some people would very well say she's not pretty or even attractive at all. Rhonda would definitely say that pretty and fashionable are definitely not part of her personality. That's one place where she knows she can't live up to Olga, who's so pretty that every boy wants to go out with her.

And yet, her rough exterior hides so much of Helga. She can be pretty in her own way, especially on Valentine's Day, and she will become a very lovely woman (sans the unibrow and pigtails, however). Sadly, she's viewed as like an ugly duckling to her family while Olga is like a graceful swan. Her parents have to learn that Helga is not Olga and never will be. Helga will grow into her own intelligence and beauty, and they just have to accept that.

But I really like this, Singr, because it makes me think on how Helga represents "there's more to it than meets the eye," which really contrasts to Lila. It helped me a lot to write my comparison to Beauty and the Beast, and Helga reminds me so much of the Beast. I hope you'll get to read that sometime as well.

These lines are very familiar...I'll bet they helped Cassie write "I'm in Love" in regards to Helga's description!

But yes, there is more to Helga than rough looks and personality, and one day, Arnold will figure it out...

Short but done very well!
Azure129 chapter 1 . 5/20/2010
Once again, you've hit on another very important point in the HA! universe. I agree-I always get the feeling that there's this general consensus among people that basically says 'Helga's ugly now...but in another ten years she'll be gorgeous!' and while I'm sure she'd grow up to be very pretty, I don't necessarily think that how she looks at the age of 9/10 is somehow unattractive-especially when she's not scowling. Or like during "Arnold's Valentine" or "Dinner for Four" or "School Play" when we got to see her in slightly different outfits and with different hairstyles and she looked really nice :) And remember during (ugh, I KNOW I'm going to get the title of this ep wrong) "Helga and the Nanny" when Arnold told her she looked nice with the flowers in her hair? So, anyway, I think what I'm trying to say is that I think basically she really is pretty as she is right now as a child, but that she just tries to hide it so much with all of the scowling and yelling as part of her defensive nature...but that luckily Arnold (and Brainy and Arnie and even Stinky at one point, lol) can see past the conscious or unconscious attempts she makes to downplay herself, which just goes to show even more that she's not just some 'ugly duckling waiting to turn into a swan' but pretty in her own right, right here and now :)

Lol, okay, I've rambled enough and I think I'm coming close to going over the word count for reviews, but once again another AWESOME one shot, SuprSingr ;) I always love getting to check them out!

Thank You!

~Azure129 aka Jenna
TippyToe Zombie chapter 1 . 5/20/2010
It's weird that you are afraid of hummus, I'm not making fun of you I have had some strange fears as well, I used to be afraid of Techno music because of a nightmare that I had with Techno background music in it. Currently I am afraid of ants because of the fact that when I was in fourth grade I was taking a bath and then when I drained the tub my entire naked body was covered in ants, they were all black ants which is why I am more afraid of black ants than red ones, cause black ants are perverts. Good job as usual.

I am the TippyToe Zombie

I like to limbo

Often I fall on People's heads
JToTheAde chapter 1 . 5/20/2010
You git it one! So true! Most poeple think I'm ugly.

But it's what inside that counts. :D

I think Helga is pretty in her own way too. :D

After all as Phil told us once on the show.

"You are because ofwho you are what the inside not the outside." :D
acosta perez jose ramiro chapter 1 . 5/20/2010
Very good one-shot.

Keep the good writing.
Flintphone chapter 1 . 5/19/2010
This is good...

When I first started watching Hey Arnold, I must admit that I thought that Helga looked...awkward. However, if you look at all the characters in the first season, they all look awkward especially when you're not use to looking at a kid with a football shaped head. ;) However, like in real life, people's looks change once you get to know them (well not literally but in your mind).

As the series continued, Helga became more appealing probably because her layout was slightly softened and they showed more of her personality. Now, presently, I think she's pretty on the outside as well as the inside.

Thanks for prospective,

Flintphone

P.S. - Butterflies ugly? Well...to me it matters what way you look at it. Their wings are very pretty but when you look up close, their legs have those little weird hairs. :)
angievzz chapter 1 . 5/19/2010
that's true, i remember when my friends told me that the guy i liked was ugly, but looked at him and he was hot hahahah
loonytunecrazy chapter 1 . 5/19/2010
Aw very nice and cute fic here
NintendoGal55 chapter 1 . 5/19/2010
It's true, you know! Beauty really is just in the eye of the beholder. Some people look at Meagan Fox and think she's the hottest thing on the planet. I myself just think she's nothing special.

But anyway, I agree with you! I think Helga was pretty. Even with her "default" look. I really honestly never thought of her as ugly. And when she lets her hair down and/or dresses nice, goodness gracious she'd be turning heads! "Arnold's Valentine", she was REALLY pretty. :D

And another reason why I think she's pretty is that she is herself. She's natural. She wears and looks the way she wants. She doesn't care what anyone else thinks about that. I guess that's another part of what makes her attractive, you can feel that from her.

XD Go Arnold! You may be blinded by love, but you see her like no one else does. :D That's pretty much the main point I see here, the fact that to most Helga is "ugly", but to him, she's beautiful. :3 I have to agree with him there.

Nice little one-shot! 83