Reviews for These Days Mercy Cuts So Deep
Nachtderwolf chapter 1 . 11/5/2012
I wanted to cry reading this, it encompassed Dean so well, I'm so impressed! Exactly how I can see Dean coping... Thank you for the amazing read!
StrawberryLaceSuicide chapter 1 . 5/26/2012
So sad, and so good.

Xx
shimmerinstars chapter 1 . 3/5/2012
"Swan Song" was a welcome reprieve from the bundle of lies and plot less disaster S 5 was. It's too bad those sweet moments Dean and Sam shared like looking at the stars and going to concerts came off feeling empty as they were created by Kripke here and never seen onscreen in an episode. Only a hard reminder of what Season 4 and 5 lacked. And how telling was it that about 99 percent of those brotherly clips in that beautiful montage came from seasons 1 thru 3. Loved the concept of that toy soldier and all the love kripke put into this one episode between the brothers but where was he all of S 5 when he was trying to paint Sam as the villain, when he knew full well that role belonged exclusively to Castiel and the Angels? Sam,like Dean was lied to, manipulated and broken. Like Dean ,Sam was a pawn and victim in all of this, maybe more so being his mother basically sold him to the devil before his birth but kripke discounted it all. And this is what makes these lies and framing Sam for everything so outrageous as the lies seep into the very beginnings of this show and have tainted the shows very history and the characters too.

I agree in "Swan Song" we found the Dean we used to know and I really felt for him. It was very wrong on Kripkes part to reintroduce this Dean fully in the S 5 finale. If Kripke stayed true to the storyline right from the start of S 5 Castiel should have been outed for his huge part in everything,his crimes against humanity and the lying manipulating betrayer he was to both boys all of S4,Dean especially. It was beyond cruel the way Castiel used Dean's love for Sam to lie him into the green room while letting sam out of the panic room. Sam (and Dean)believing what Castiel told him that killing Lilith would stop Lucifer from rising when Castile knew full well she was the last seal and it would set him free. If Kripke stayed true to the storyline with everything Castile did revealed Dean and Sam would have realized they both had been played,then reunited and tried to find a way to stop Lucifer together. Castile was Dean's Ruby in every sense of the word and with a full season of facts to back it up and kripke ignored that or rather swept it under the rug as if he stayed true to storyline there would have been no Castile and Dean relationship to speak of . Sam made some bad choices (like Dean has) but he was not to blame for all of this and it's an absurdity of logic and reason and fact for Kripke to try and say it was. The majority of blame rests on the shoulders of the Angels and Castiel who were criminally instrumental in the planning,setting up and execution of the apocalypse but Sam willingly died for his mistakes but also for everyone else involved and he never once pointed a finger at all of those involved

I love how you told Deans POV here. My guess is Dean would eventually put a gun in his mouth. Without Sam, knowing where Sam is,what he is sufferring there's not enough booze to block out that kind of pain. But since Sam is back and out of Hell and Dean out of his and thank God Bendy Lisa and Ben are gone we are finally is S7 seeing old school Supernatural minus the ex dues machina (Cass)

Sorry about the vent if anyone understands the frustration of how lost this show got in S4 and 5 I know you do.

Beautifully told heartbreaking story.
ccase13 chapter 1 . 9/26/2011
Dean would have never been right had Sam not come back. The sad part is Lisa apparently had not a clue of the depth of his grief.
Hermione's Shadow chapter 1 . 10/1/2010
wow, once again you did an amazing job, I really, really enjoyed reading that story, you captured everything that made Sam and Dean, Sam and Dean, really, really nicely done!
Stoneage Woman chapter 1 . 7/8/2010
This is wonderful. Really. So heart-breakingly sad.
Madebyme chapter 1 . 7/5/2010
Finally I'm all caught up and I'm just starting to read all the finale fics that I set aside.

I always feel emotionally exhausted in one way or another after watching a finale of this show. And this one was no different. But like you, I was happy to see the show get back to its roots: family.

As heart wrenching as this fic was I really think you've captured Dean perfectly here. Doing all that he can to live up to his promise but never able to fully get there. He's going through the motions of living a happy life but by knowing the fate of his brother he can never let himself enjoy and feel it. So sad, but so Dean. After all, Dean is all about his brother.

Very emotional and sad fic, but accurately told and I can really see the show doing something similar but I guess we'll have to wait and see! Take care, Abbi
Hunnique chapter 1 . 7/4/2010
Wow. That was beautiful.
fearlessgoddess2 chapter 1 . 5/25/2010
Beautiful and brilliant. So heart-wrenching. I loved it.
Nana56 chapter 1 . 5/25/2010
Wow. I think this is one of the saddest things I've ever read. What you wrote here really fits with the look on Dean's face as he watched Sam fall and then afterward. Even at Lisa's when she asked if he needed anything, we know his answer was a lie. He's not good. He can't be without his brother.

Very nicely done. :)
supernaturaldh chapter 1 . 5/24/2010
I totally loved this story Faye. I too was disheartened with the show. I am so happy they decided to take it back to it's roots, the brothers relationship. Thats what its all about to me. The finale definitely came full circle and I am intrigued to see where they take us next season...loads of brother moments I pray.

Denise
parisindy chapter 1 . 5/23/2010
freaking hell that was great
rahne2 chapter 1 . 5/22/2010
Faye, I hadn't actually given up on the show, but like you I was so angry at the way Sam was being treated I found myself adding in all sorts of commentary to the season 4 and 5 episodes and tags. One of my favorite scenes this year was when Sam stood up for himself and told Dean he needed to treat him like a partner and not a little brother, when he asked him to "let me grow up". Still, Dean spent most of the year trying to convince Sam that he was going to fail, that he couldn't be trusted to make decisions for himself, that he needed a protector and keeper. Because Dean wasn't strong enough to deal with Sam as an equal after being broken in Hell. And Sam let himself believe it, let Dean call the shots, because he couldn't bring himself to hurt his brother again. Even when it became clear that he was their only chance to put Lucifer back in his cage, he was willing to defer to Dean's judgement (although he really did know what he had to do).

So here is where I have to differ with you. Dean's transcendent moment was not going to Stull to die with Sam, it was at the beginning of the ep, when he finally acknowledged that Sam was his own man, when he told him to make his own choice, that he would back him whatever play he made, because he wasn't Dean's little brother anymore. When he said it was time for growing up himself. When he let go, just as he had asked of Sam when his own deal came due. Every fiber of his being told him he had to stop Sam's sacrifice, protect him, save him; but he let him go. I have never been more proud of him as a man. Nor so broken-hearted for him. For Dean, living will be a greater torture than Sam will endure in Hell, leaving the cage closed harder than anything he has ever done. I can't see him surviving it for long, no matter what he promised Sam. IF he can't get Sam out, sooner or later he'll find a way to be with him in Hell.

Can't wait to see what comes in the future by way of Sam's thoughts while dying to save the world. He offered his life and soul a year ago when he chose the path of Power, to kill Lilith and stop the apocalypse, though his courage and sacrifice were used against him, and NOT by Ruby. (She never lied to him.) He was betrayed by the angels, by his parents, even by Dean in a way. But it never made his offer less worthy. And this time, when Dean came to stand with him, to die,not FOR him but WITH him, he finally understood that the blood and power and rage were nothing in the face of Dean's selfless love and trust. And together that love and trust gave them the strength to save the world. Sam must have been terrified of the price he would have to pay now, for his redemption. Yet he never gave up, used his brother's love and Dean's absolute trust and belief, and made his sacrifice freely. I have been in awe of Sam all year, for finding the courage to go on living in the face of what he had done, to face his brother's scorn and the condemnation of Heaven and Earth, and still not put a bullet in his brain...I can't imagine the strength of character that must have taken. No excuses, no defense. In the end, not even hope. And he never stopped fighting, trying ,sacrificing. It's no wonder Castiel came to value him as much as Dean did. (When Bobby finally gave him the kick in the pants he so richly deserved!) I know you'll do him justice. Looking forward to more.
sandymg chapter 1 . 5/22/2010
So good. I agree with your A/N. Nice to see Sam redeemed. But they are both such heroes.

And Dean not letting go. So very Dean.

Nicely done.