Reviews for Sacrifices
Theowyn of HPG chapter 5 . 5/30/2010
I'm glad to see Severus relying on Remus and Remus being so willing to help. Poor Severus, what a humiliating way to be hauled off by the Ministry. I can't wait to see Dumbledore talk the Minister into letting him go.

Speaking of the Minister, you might want to make it 'Minister for Magic' instead of 'Minister of Magic'. This isn't crucial, but since you correctly use 'Minister for Magic' in your chapter notes, I thought I'd mention it.

One more technical note: The tenses in the first paragraph jump around painfully. I've written this sort of paragraph myself in the past and I know they're a pain, but the way to go is simply to make everything present tense since what you're explaining is perpetually true. So just start, 'When one wants to arrive..." and continue in the present tense until you get to the last two lines. Those, referring specifically to Snape, belong in the past tense as you have them.

I really enjoyed this chapter and hope Snape won't have to spend too much time under arrest. I'm looking forward to the next installment.
NATWEST chapter 5 . 5/30/2010
I love this story. can't wait for the next.
Wilmon chapter 1 . 5/30/2010
Very good start to this story. I look forward to the next chapter.
Sunny Book Lover chapter 5 . 5/30/2010
Love the story so far! Can't wait to see where it goes next. Hopefully Sevvy won't be separated from Harry for long. :)
Imablack chapter 2 . 5/29/2010
So is Sev Harry's father or is he just assuming the role. I suppose I must read on to find out. Great chapter.

~Missyann
Imablack chapter 1 . 5/29/2010
Great Beginning. Very well writen. On to read more!

~Missyann
fsdfasefe chapter 5 . 5/29/2010
Awesome as always!

Will be waiting for the next chapter.
Yashida chapter 5 . 5/29/2010
Another wonderful chapter!

Rather exciting too! I can hardly wait to read what will happen next!
Slytherin66 chapter 5 . 5/29/2010
An excellent chapter A clever way to free Severus I really liked Flitwick in this chapter he is such an overlooked character and its such a pity as he must be exceptional to be a teacher at Hogwarts and Head of House despite being part human given the bias of the Ministry and the British magical community.

The fact Severus was taken away in front of his students is it any wonder Slytherin House choose to follow th Dark Lord in hopes of changing the world for the better.

I am interested to know if Malfoy are the others were treated the same, given the heavy approach taken to get Severus will the Ministry believe the "I was under The Imperius Curse" or do they just want to put someone in Azkaban so it looks like they are doing something, like what Fudge did to Hagrid and those really responsible get away free.

I look forward to the next chapter.
Theowyn of HPG chapter 4 . 5/27/2010
Good old Remus! I knew he'd come through for Severus. Hopefully this is the start of a good friendship. Merlin knows both these fellows could use a friend right now. I can't wait to see how Snape plans to keep Harry hidden at Hogwarts. Of course Dumbledore can be quite clueless at times and Hogwarts is a big place, so I don't think it's impossible.

I don't think there's any way Snape could pass Harry off as his own child at the moment even if he does change the boy's appearence. Far too coincidental what with all the hoopla surrounding Harry's disappearence. Once that dies down though he'd be able to get away with it, but he'll need to get Dumbledore in on the deception or at least get him to look the other way. The old wizard may be clueless, but he's not stupid. Still, if Snape can convince Dumbledore it's all for the greater good, the old man will go along.

Breakfast was spot on - babies are a terror to feed. I loved the charmed spoon and wish I'd had one of those when my kids were little. I'm definitely looking forward to the next chapter.

PS - if you don't mind a review within a review: Kudos to Yashida for the Latin lesson! :) That was great and if you don't mind I may impose on you myself for help with translations.
Yashida chapter 4 . 5/27/2010
Wonderful chapter!

I'm quite curious indeed as to how Severus will be deceiving dumbledore!

As for your request to help you with the Latin, I followed classic studies ( ancient Greek and Latin) in highschool so I believe I'm suitably qualified to help you out.

You did get the words right and most of the tenses, so whatever translator you're using seems to be a good one. However some tenses need correcting.

For a spell of any kind that is more of a literal phrase in Latin rather than a made up or put together word, I think one ought to use the command structure. As in ordering something to happen (like: give me the pen).

'Ostende' and 'tege' are indeed the correct forms of a singular imperative tense.

However 'aufero' is the present first person singular, meaning 'I take away'. It's an irregular verb hence the diversion from the regular verb patterns.

To make it the commanding form you need 'aufer' (singular imperative).

The verb 'auferre' has a rather forceful meaning of 'taking away', more in the sense of 'stealing', 'robbing', 'rip away from', etc. However since I imagine you'd need quite a forceful magical power to take away the scar of such a strong curse as the Killing Curse I think this particular verb is indeed the right choice.

'Vulnus' does indeed mean 'wound', but in Latin the nouns also follow a declension according to its function in the sentence. Here 'wound' is the object of your phrase, or the 'accusative' in Latin. In other words, to indicate that the word is the object of your sentence it needs to be put in the accusative, which is 'vulnerem'.

So, the correct phrase would be: 'Aufer vulnerem': 'Take away the wound' or 'Away with the wound'.

The same rule goes for your other sentences: as 'nomen' (name) is the object of the phrases you need to put it in the accusative form: 'nomenem'.

Your translator seems to have already put the other words in the possesive form (genetive), with the exception of 'filius' (son). The whole possesive part is 'of my son' (the name object, of my son possesive form) so it needs to be put entirely into the genetive instead of just 'my'.

Which would be 'mei filii' (yes two 'i's! It's not a typo).

Thus the correct versions of your next phrases are:

'Ostende nomen patris' (sorry, I forgot to mention: Latin uses a different order of words too, so 'ostende patris nomen' isn't quite as correct as 'ostende nomen patris')

'Ostende nomen mei filii'

and

'Tege nomen matris'.

Well, I hope my knowledge of Latin has hereby been of use to you.

I appologize if I explained it with perhaps too much linguistic details, but I thought that it would all make more sense if I explained to you why certain words needed to be changed.

Anyway, if next time you only want a correct translation, just tell me. It's no problem to me and whenever you need any further help with Latin for this story, I'll be glad to give you a hand.

Please do keep going, you certainly have gotten me intruiged with this story!

I'm already looking forward to the next chapter!

~Yashida
Slytherin66 chapter 4 . 5/27/2010
An excellent chapter, Severus keeping Harry hidden when the owl arrived was a nice touch. It makes sense that Severus made detailed plans to protect Harry and that he would need to be hidden. I am glad Harry no longer has his scar I hope Severus will start teaching Harry the mind arts as soon as he is able. I have always thought Severus would be a good father he seems to be the best Head of House as well. I look forward to the next chapter.
attyfan chapter 4 . 5/27/2010
Good for Remus! Won't a few more spells be needed to change Harry's appearance? Even without the scar, Harry doesn't look like a relative of Snape's at all.
fsdfasefe chapter 4 . 5/27/2010
Awesome new chap cant wait for the next!
Theowyn of HPG chapter 3 . 5/26/2010
This is very enjoyable and the characters all seem quite in character so far. A special thanks for avoiding any silly "baby-talk" on Harry's part. A 15-month-old might not know many words, but they don't actually mangle the few they do know nearly as badly as some writers believe. There is one thing though that I will ask you to please correct: It's "mummy" not "mommy". Mom and mommy are strictly American and are out of place in this otherwise very well written story. I look forward to your next chapter.
373 | « Prev Page 1 .. 14 21 22 23 24 25 Next »