Reviews for Incunabula: Or The Golden Legend
FluffyLiz chapter 21 . 12/19/2014
It was lucky for Edward that Jasper left that file in Bella's room, but he could hardly have foreseen that the answer he'd been seeking would fall so easily into his hands. One must therefore conclude that, although he took advantage of the situation, he didn't actually use Bella... at least, not in the way she thinks. Regardless, she does, indeed, owe Jasper an explanation of what really happened, because if he'd known about her interactions with Edward, it's unlikely he would have been so careless with that file, or so slow to visit the chapel.

Meanwhile, I reckon Bella's desperation for what she imagines is the sanctuary of Seattle is woefully misplaced, seeing as how it's also Edward's home base. I wonder if he will seek her out?
FluffyLiz chapter 20 . 12/19/2014
Well, from the overtly euphemistic chapter heading, to Edward sweeping Bella off her feet at the end, there was certainly no ambiguity or confusion in this chapter LOL! But what will happen in the morning? Will Jasper discover them, or will Bella finally tell him the truth? Either way, she surely cannot hope to keep him in the dark any longer. Of course, Edward still has his own secrets, and I have a feeling that, despite this new intimacy, he isn't yet ready to give them up. But why? Is he not the independent collector we've always assumed? Is he, in fact, at the beck of a more powerful employer? In a previous chapter, I was a little surprised that he referred to himself as a CFO, which would indicate that he is merely an employee, albeit a well-paid one, rather than a mega-rich entrepreneur. This begs the question, how does he afford to collect these priceless books... unless, of course he is funded by someone else, someone far more ruthless and dangerous?
FluffyLiz chapter 19 . 12/19/2014
Okay, this chapter had me tearing my hair out a bit, as I was utterly confused at the beginning and infuriated at the end. First, I have to say that it took me a lot of time, plus referring back to the previous chapter, to work out what was going on. Why was Jasper talking about Jakub's attraction to Bella in front of him, and had I missed something important when Bella talked about both of them going to the bathroom at the same time? After going back and forth, rereading several times, I finally worked out that you were flipping from the present to the past, but without any discernible indication, other than a reference to being in the lobby. Sorry to be pedantic, but this whole sequence was really unclear and very confusing.

As for my fury, this was related to Bella. How could such an ostensibly intelligent woman be so unutterably stupid as to decide to go for a walk in the dead of night in a strange town following a confrontation with drunk frat-boys in her hotel. And how could Jasper be just as stupid as to let her do it without either insisting he go with her or warning her that she shouldn't wander about alone with those goons from the restaurant potentially on the loose? And that's not even taking into consideration the potential danger from whomever tipped off the police. Edward's fury is, this time, completely justified.
FluffyLiz chapter 18 . 12/18/2014
I can't imagine that Edward is behind the wicked accusation about smuggling... apart from anything else, it seems to me that he would prefer Jasper and Bella continue their investigation, as it's clearly saving him a lot of legwork!

But now you have me utterly confused with the ending... who are 'they'? Is Bella referring to the Jews, and, if so, why would she suddenly come up with that thought while sitting in Immanuel's tiny, inadequate cell? Is she thinking that he would have used his situation at the monastery to help Jews escape the Nazis? But how?
FluffyLiz chapter 17 . 12/18/2014
Police? Why would they be tailing Jasper and Bella? Has something happened to one of the people they interviewed, perhaps Fr. Tomas? The plot, as they say, thickens!
FluffyLiz chapter 16 . 12/17/2014
It seems Bella isn't the only one who's becoming paranoid, as I was clearly wide of the mark with my assumption that Jasper's car had been deliberately sabotaged. Having said that, who is the driver of the Renault, and are they connected to Edward? Indeed, why is Edward so concerned for Bella's safety if there isn't a third and malevolent force somewhere out there? And who is the redhead? Poor Bella is at sixes and sevens, and instead of being able to share Jasper's delight at his discovery, she just seems drained. I think she may well have to come clean with him or risk raising his suspicions about her commitment and loyalty.
FluffyLiz chapter 15 . 12/17/2014
Hmm, it sounds very much as if there's a third party at work here, about whom we know nothing. Clearly, Edward has Bella and Jasper under surveillance - a GPS tracker covertly attached to his car, perhaps - but who else is watching? Edward was too surprised about the petrol leak to have ordered it himself, and too concerned about Bella's safety, so one must assume that another protagonist is out there, and it is he or she who has deliberately sabotaged Jasper's car (I can't imagine it was accidental damage). Poor Jasper - a new petrol tank won't come cheap, and I'm pretty sure his job at a Czech university doesn't pay big bucks.
FluffyLiz chapter 14 . 12/15/2014
Well, I have to wonder who was in the Renault. There can be no doubt that Edward has Bella under surveillance, as he must believe that her expertise and research skills are his best hope of finding the incunabula. The fact that he's attracted to her is just a bonus. So, this makes it a little less likely that Rozalina is Edward's mole... although, having said that, it has to be possible that she has already aligned herself with Emmett, and, by association, Edward.

As for the Czechs and their lack of bonhomie, I have to say that, although they haven't reached the dizzy heights of the sometimes OTT friendliness of the American service industry, they are a good deal better these days than they were when you lived in Prague. it's taken a while, but the difference is noticeable since I first visited in 1996.
FluffyLiz chapter 13 . 12/15/2014
Oh dear, a dead-end... what will they do now? Perhaps Bella can turn the tables on Edward, and do some stalking of her own, to see if he has better leads.

Oh, and I checked out the ossuary on Google images... a macabre kind of beauty is the only way to describe it.
FluffyLiz chapter 12 . 12/14/2014
They seem to be running around in circles, and it almost appears that Edward is watching them chase their tails, whilst waiting to steal a march on them if they happen to discover something useful. Meanwhile, I can't decide whether he's merely toying with Bella or is genuinely interested in her... or perhaps it's both. And how does he always know where she is and where she's going?
FluffyLiz chapter 11 . 12/13/2014
The meeting with the old lady seems to have paid off, but has Edward already garnered this information, either from another source or by having Emmett question her? Guttler did say the old girl had been questioned many times before, so perhaps Edward's investigator has beaten them to it.
FluffyLiz chapter 10 . 12/13/2014
Seems Edward pretty much admitted that he deliberately distracted Bella, and she played right into his hands. Emmett has clearly discovered something useful, which will once again means that Edward is one step ahead. Will Bella now tell Jasper about her encounters, or will she merely wait until he finds out by other means, and thus end up suspecting her of being Edward's mole?
FluffyLiz chapter 9 . 12/13/2014
Why hasn't Bella mentioned to Jasper her run-in with Edward? I know she's embarrassed by the circumstances, but surely it's something he very much needs to know. And who is this mystery red-head, I wonder? Green eyes might suggest she's a relative of Edward's, but as we don't know her age, it could be either Esme (his mother?) or Victoria (sister?) Whoever she is, is she following Bella and her group in order to report back to Edward?
FluffyLiz chapter 8 . 12/13/2014
Well, I suppose it's not much of a stretch to assume he fancies her, albeit against his better judgement, perhaps - much like Bella. But the question is, does he know any more than her and Jasper about the whereabouts of the incunabula? Presumably not, otherwise I doubt he'd be lingering long enough to visit downbeat clubs. But now they are both aware of the other's presence in Dresden, what will they do now?
FluffyLiz chapter 7 . 12/13/2014
Hmm, I wondered when Edward would catch up with Bella. I suppose it was inevitable he would work out the riddle of the book and make his way to Dresden, but was he just chilling in a bar, or did he follow them there... or does he have a mole? Rozalina is an enigma, but is she also as duplicitous as Bella suspects?
1,474 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 .. Last Next »