Reviews for Ace of Spades
blank00001 chapter 14 . 1/7/2012
Criket, I really don't know where you get this "not my best work" stuff. No, it's not the most exciting chapter, but it can't be action all the time. It's great! Having the detective's patience tried with Ruth's impatience while waiting was a very comical read, as well as the target practice. It's nice for a character to have such an interesting weakness as being unable to hit a target...the right target. You don't see many character, especially fan made, that have such an obvious "flaw", and it gives the story a good sense of realism.

"She pulled herself up alongside him and whispered, 'How does he know about these places? Why does he know?'

'I haven't a clue,' Watson admitted. 'I've realized it's better not to ask questions. Half the time he doesn't answer.'

'And the other half?'

'He makes you wish you never had.'

'I'm already beginning to.' "

Hahaha, that's my favourite part! And the ending gave me a slight chill. No joke. So stop beating yourself up. Your doing amazing, and I can't wait to read what happens next. Toodalo!
goldfish-eyes chapter 14 . 1/4/2012
It is 3:38 in the morning, and I've spent the last two or so hours reading chapters 1-14. You are a brilliant writer. Your story lacks the forced Victorian-esque writing style that quite a few authors portray, and I congratulate you on that. You capture moments perfectly without overdoing your writing style. I am extremely shocked that this story has so little reviews. Despite this, I want you up know that your story is amazing, one of the very best stories I've read on the Sherlock Holmes archive. Despite your lack of reviews, which I'm sure they would he positive if they existed nonetheless, I encourage you keep writing. Congratulations on a job well done :)
blank00001 chapter 13 . 1/3/2012
I could have SWORN I reviewed this chapter because I read it ages ago, but upon double checking, I find that I didn't, and I sincerely apologise. I was going to combine this and Chapter 14's review, actually, but also finding you have no reviews at all for this chapter (a very shocking find, I might add), I felt two separate ones are in order.

Like I said, I am extremely shocked and disappointed that this chapter got no reviews. I loved it! You make Ruth so different than any other added character I've ever seen- the fact that she actually cooked for Holmes and Watson just one example. And I love the horseshoe reference; it really deepened the Old American West feel to the story. Ack, I just love Ruth in general and such a realistic part she plays in such old and classic characters.

Okay, Ruth gush over with, this chapter as a whole was very well done. It's leading up to the climax quite nicely, and I can't wait to see what happens next! So once again, congratulations, and on to read Chapter 14!

P.S. I am most flattered by the mention in the first author's note. Returning the favour was not expected nor anticipated in the least. Thank you!
blank00001 chapter 12 . 4/11/2011
I didn't know this wasnt finished! otherwise i wouldve waited. I hate suspense. ugh.

Despite that, though. this is just brilliant. How you capture everything perfectly i have no idea, but it's genius. please update soon! i can't stand suspense!
bgm76 chapter 12 . 3/18/2011
Yay! I'm so glad you're keeping this story going. Please update again soon! I can't wait to find out what happens next and who Davis is working with. Maybe Moriarty has his hand in this?
bgm76 chapter 11 . 1/12/2011
Another great chapter! Holmes is certainly intrigued by Ruth, as am I! Can't wait to find out more.
bgm76 chapter 6 . 1/5/2011
I am loving the banter between Holmes and Watson at the beginning of this chapter.

Watson to Holmes: "Your mind must be a terribly frightening place."

Indeed!
bgm76 chapter 4 . 1/5/2011
LOL! Love this part...classic!

"At the moment, however, he was more concerned with his trousers. There were three nice slashes torn through the fabric. Blast that wretched animal. He'd liked this pair. He'd pilfered them out of Watson's wardrobe one afternoon when he'd needed a quick disguise and had neglected to return them. Now that they were ruined, he supposed the doctor could have them back."

Mr. Cody, huh? :-) Seems like you are combining two of my great loves: Sherlock Holmes and the Wild West.

Can't wait to read more! Maybe by the time I finish the chapters posted, you'll have an update? :-) Pretty please?
bgm76 chapter 3 . 1/5/2011
I am totally hooked on this story! I can't wait to read more!
stupidpenname chapter 10 . 10/13/2010
Sorry I didn't review earlier. I was without the internet for a while. Great action packed chapter.
stupidpenname chapter 9 . 10/2/2010
Haven't you ever heard of cliffhanger hell? Things are starting to move now. Poor Charlie. Poor Ruth.
blackdog-lz chapter 9 . 10/1/2010
I'll throw cookies at you, that okay too? :) And, before I forget it autsch. My own leg started to hurt, when I read what happened to poor Charlie. Can't wait to read how you're going to continue.
blackdog-lz chapter 8 . 9/21/2010
Cliffhanger, how evil :) I really like the development of your story, keep on going, because I can't wait to read the next chapter.

And I totally agree with stupidpenname, you have guts, I'd have given up writing (or publishing) long ago, so good for us that you didn't :)

Another tip for maybe (hopefully) getting more reviews, enable the anonymous reviews, there are probably some readers, who are not a member of and can therefore not review.

I'll feed your muse with some cookies and wait for the next chapter
stupidpenname chapter 8 . 9/21/2010
Whoa. Cliff-hanger or what.

Be wary about changing viewpoints mid chapter. If you’re going to have a third person omniscient narrator just make sure you make smooth transitions. But I'm nitpicking.

This is really good. I don't understand why it hasn't got more reviews. Once your finished maybe you should try reposting it over at the book Sherlock Holmes section. It may need a few small edits to make it less movie-verse but then again I've seen movie-verse fics do quite well over there and they usually go for a higher calibre of fic. Also if you want to entice more people try working on your summary a bit more. Never say "stupid summaries." or anything along those lines. People take it as a sign that the writer's two half arsed to sell their own story and that if they didn't even try with the summery they probably didn't put too much effort into the fic either, which is clearly wrong. Try something like “Holmes has just about had enough of Americans. They tamper with his crime scenes, they invade Baker Street, and their cats are vicious. But when a serial killer comes across the Atlantic, Holmes is forced to team up with these Yanks before he kills again.” Or make it more Ruth centric. She is the mysterious one in all of this. Just try and sell your stuff a bit better and maybe you’ll get more reviews.

You have great gumption forging ahead with so little encouragement. Truthfully I wouldn’t have if I had been in your position. It shows guts. Keep going. I’ll be keeping an eye on this.
stupidpenname chapter 7 . 9/21/2010
Holmes is right this is a great character study. The half-heard interaction between Charlie and Ruth was very effective. You are setting Ruth up to be very unstable and a little unpredictable. Be careful not to go too far lest we lose empathy with her. The change between this Ruth and the timid Annie before is quite striking.