Reviews for Between the Lines
Andromakhe chapter 1 . 9/14/2012
Good food for thought for what Jo would be facing as Laurie's wife. And yes, all the bickering. I admit I like Laurie/Jo, but not necessarily as adults. They would have been cute as teenagers when they were still young and innocent. Good work.
RealMe07 chapter 1 . 6/26/2012
Wow! That was sooooo good! Most people write about Jo married to Professor and longing for Laurie, but this time it was the other way around! Great story! I'd love to hear more like these! :D
espanamazing chapter 1 . 10/2/2011
Very nice. I love how much thought and sometimes frustration there is behind her simple, cordial letter.
IrregularHonour chapter 1 . 11/16/2010
Ouch! I AM glad things turned out more sensibly in the book. lol
Mariagoner chapter 1 . 5/26/2010
I should also add that I find it OOC for Laurie to insist that Jo change herself completely to suit him and his lifestyle.

After all, this is the man who once cut his hair in a certain way and became an honor's student to meet her approval. And the man who eventually changed his scoundrel ways to gain Amy's love. And this is the man who even gave up on his artistic dreams and changed himself to become his grandfather's ideal business after a brief period of rebellion!

If anything, Laurie's main flaw is not demanding people change to fit him so much as it is *changing to suit other people.* If he and Jo got married, I could much more easily see himself giving in to Jo's relative insularity than suddenly forcing her out into society. He shift-shapes himself to be first Jo's ideal suitor, then Amy's ideal suitor, then Amy's ideal husband. He does basically what the women in his life tell him to. That's not exactly someone who would suddenly turn into a tyrannical husband and demand Jo stop writing so he can spend all his time in her company.

Ack. I'm really sorry if I'm badgering you at this point. It's just that this version of Laurie really, really bothers me and I had to write down (in a very long-winded way) exactly why, just so I could make sense of why it was sticking in my craw. I'm not trying to attack you in any way and I hope you don't end up feeling that way. ::sigh::

I should shut up now, seriously...
Mariagoner chapter 1 . 5/26/2010
I have to admit, I didn't respond well to this story. I just don't find it terribly in character for Laurie at all! I can see Jo and Laurie possibly clashing as a married couple because they have strong personalities- but Laurie suddenly becoming a domestic tyrant and having Jo give up her writing to please *him*? Isn't that Professor Bhaer's canon role, frankly speaking?

I mean, I don't recall Laurie at any point asking Jo to ever, ever, ever give up on her writing- or even criticizing her for it. At every point in canon, he champions her work. Whereas Bhaer strongly does criticize her "trashy" commercial gothic novellas and makes her eventually feel so ashamed she burns it and decides to eventually stop writing in favor of working at their school!

I'm not writing this as someone who dislikes Jo/Bhaer together- I think they're a pleasant enough couple, if not as fun as Jo/Laurie. But I frankly think you're overstating how awful Jo/Laurie is as a couple, and making Laurie out to be a domestic tyrant- when inf fact, Professor Bhaer in canon censors Jo's writing more than Laurie ever would.

No offense meant but as someone who loves Laurie's character, I felt this fic was a deep misreading of him.
Emerald Zen chapter 1 . 5/25/2010
Hmm. I enjoyed this story, b/c you are a really good writer. But I'll admit that some of it didn't ring true to me. For example, I don't think that Laurie would have insisted on buying Jo a dress from Paris or planned a grand wedding (I think he would have left these decisions to the sisters and marmee)...and I definitely don't think he'd ask her to give up her writing...The other stuff I think they'd work out eventually...

But I know I'm biased b/c Jo and Laurie were always my fav couple... :)
Elisabeth Harker chapter 1 . 5/25/2010
You also have a way with the Alcott era slang. :)

Jo's voice comes across very clearly in this story. The way you write her disatisfaction is spot-on in character. I also tend to have difficulty really imagining them as a married couple (I've tried to write it - happier, of course, considering my position on the 'ship - but I can't.). The circumstances of Jo agreeing to marry him make sense as well.

On one hand, I'd be inclined to think that Laurie would never expect Jo to give up on her writing. I always saw that as something he rather liked about her. However, your reasoning, of his being like a child with a sweet when it comes to wanting all of her company does make sense to me. I could see him crowding her writing out without really -meaning- to, or completely realising what he's doing. Actually, most of the problems you've described in this union seem rather innocent on his part, but no less disasterous.

Great story!
literaryfreak chapter 1 . 5/25/2010
Ooo, this is good. This is why as much as I ship Jo/Laurie, I don't like the idea of them getting married when young. Because this is what would happen. You can almost hear Jo's longing to join Friedrich's school out west.