Reviews for Suffer to Live
CalmReader chapter 23 . 1/15/2016
First of all let me tell you, what pleasure it was to read your story! I've loved your style from the very first chapter, and the story has captured me immediately. That is why I was a little disappointed, that it contains only 23 chapters. Seriously, I could read it on and on forever :-) It was not enough for me.

I loved all the details and description of Erik's house. For example, the garden, where he invited Alice for breakfast. I think, it's great, that torture room can be transfigured into something so beautiful and pleasing.

I liked Alice's portrayal, her fearless character, independent spirit and smart head. I'm always looking for good OCs and Alice hasn't disappointed me. However I couldn't understand her eagerness to reveal Erik's secrets in the beginning. Why did she want to go to killer's house? Why didn't she afraid searching for him? I couldn't find an explanation of her recklessness in the story... I just can't comprehend her intentions without any explanation.

Also for me it was too sudden, when Alice said she loved Erik. They've met only twice - and she's already in love?.. Sorry, I couldn't believe it. That's why I feel, that this story needs more chapters. Feelings should grow. I'd prefer more slowly development of their relationship.

But despite this I really enjoyed reading the story, so thank you for sharing :-) And please write more.
magneticfield chapter 23 . 8/13/2015
Congratulations. You are a great writer. I rarely read long stories and even more rarely read oc stories or stories of Mary Sue characters. This story was interesting from beginning to end.
Thank you for a great story.
Guest chapter 1 . 10/11/2014
You, my friend, are a high quality writer! I'd write more... oh, I could go on and on about how much talent you have! But... I really want to go back to reading your work! Keep writing!
Ladytee chapter 23 . 6/9/2014
Amazing! Wish there was a sequel.
icanhearthedrums chapter 17 . 4/18/2013
I LOVE THIS STORY! but everything moves pretty fast...within a couple weeks she's completely changed her mind about justice and forgives Erik for his murders and crimes. In a couple weeks she's completely changed her morals and falls in love with erik. I think there should be more in between showing her train of thought.
icanhearthedrums chapter 7 . 4/17/2013
that W**** CHRISTINE! I HOPE HER BABY COMES OUT DEFORMED!
icanhearthedrums chapter 5 . 4/17/2013
OH NO! where are you going, Erik? if you dont want box five i'll take it!
NaaraHatake chapter 23 . 2/9/2012
This story was amazing!
DarkEnigma322 chapter 23 . 1/22/2012
This story was wonderful! You did such an impeccable job with it! Alice, as a character, was such a refreshment compaired to many OC's. You gave her, as well as the other characters, such life! It was good to see that she and Erik ended up happy. Keep up the great writing!

~DarkEnigma
Phantom Night Owl chapter 23 . 1/22/2012
Nice chapter! I can't believe the story is finished...I was hoping for more interaction between Erik and Alice, but I'm glad they ended up together at last. I've always believed that the Phantom could have loved another woman after Christine left...after all, he didn't have years invested in a relationship with her, but so many writers portray Erik as being unable to move on. I think he really just wanted someone to share his life with... Christine showed some compassion for him, and he took it from there. He's essentially like most people...able to live and love again, only he has much less choice in the matter of romance, so he would be a fool to look a gift-horse in the mouth. And with Alice, his affections are returned. 'Nuf said. I look forward to more from you Nicole. Leroux's Erik is getting harder to find and you write him so very well.
inujisan chapter 23 . 1/21/2012
and that's a wrap to a good story. Like how you kept his surname a mystery.
inujisan chapter 22 . 1/7/2012
that's rather clever

I actually like how she just blurts out "extradition"
Phantom Night Owl chapter 22 . 1/7/2012
Welcome back! Sorry to hear you've been ill...hope you've had a full recovery. Very nice chapter...you haven't lost your touch. I'm glad Erik seems to have escaped the executioner and that Alice is still standing by him. She loves him, but I wonder what his feelings are for her? He's not exactly pushing her away, but he's not really encouraging her either. Alice's father was shocked by Erik's appearance, but he seems to have been more surprised by the depth of the Phantom's intellect. Aren't we all! Being extradited to Persia would be the worst possible punishment for him...it would be a horrible and painful death.I think Erik's building plans are his ticket to freedom and maybe a new and satisfying life, hopefully with Alice. Leaving the opera house for good will probably cut both ways for him...after all, it's been his home and sanctuary for years, but also his prison. Can't wait for more!
Charon de Rouen chapter 21 . 10/20/2011
Admittedly, I'm still extremely leery about Alice (you can't blame me; so many POTO OCs bore me to tears because of their romantic interests in Erik, although Alice's are admittedly very mild in comparison), but overall, I'm highly pleased with this story. The Leroux style is excellent, from the prose to the storytelling; there aren't nearly enough stories written like this.. It's kept me highly entertained.

The only main quibble I have is with the way Alice performed her research at the Bibliotheque Nationale. With libraries of that size, patrons aren't allowed to peruse the stacks. They have to wait in the reading rooms while the librarians fetch the volumes they want. I suppose I also have huge qualms about Don Juan being performed at the Opera, just because of the way "young" or new composers are treated in Paris during the 19th century..

But those are mere details. I'm eager to see what the next chapters bring.
Phantom Night Owl chapter 21 . 8/2/2011
So nice to have another chapter! I really like this story and the way you portray Erik. The Persian never seems to know who's side he's on though...at the beginning of the story, he saved Erik from drowning; now he's leading Alice's father right to him. It looks as if the Phantom and Alice's romance is heating up a bit...yea! Love Erik's fluffier side...I just hope he can indulge in it in the next chapter...having guns aimed at one can cool ardor rather quickly I expect. Looking forward to what happens next. Hurry!