Reviews for A Real Reluctant Hero
Cylon One chapter 2 . 10/18/2010
Second chapter.

Sweet!

I’d been eagerly awaiting this update like I did with the live G.I. Joe movie.

And unlike the movie I was not disappointed here.

It was real cool seeing Joe’s and Cobra’s I been hoping to.

As well as more Eva-types on both sides as a counterpart to someone from them.

Learning Doctor Mindbender is the creator/father of Rei was really cool.

And I thought it a little surprising that his concern for her was like a real father when it was shown in the facility where the incident with Cobra’s own Eva going crazy happened.

Nothing against it, just a little surprising, like I said.

Can’t wait for this Rei and Shinji to meet.

Question about Asuka: Since she’s Scarlett, is her weapon of choice going to be the mini-crossbow?

Like Lady Jaye’s signature weapons being a variety of specialized throwing javelins?

I, as well as anyone I’m sure, could not help but feel sorry for Shinji after seeing a method of Slaughter’s training of him.

Chasing him down in his Triple Tank is an extreme and not surprising example of it.

Hope for the best that Shinji’ll survive whatever else the Sgt’s got him going through.

Which was it exactly that got CC upset more at the end: That the Joes got a new Eva, or that Hawk’s son was recently recruited to pilot it?

Looking forward to the next update with just as much eagerness as with this one.

My choice for Joes and Cobras I like to see: Spirit, Ripcord, Firefly, Zartan.
Guest chapter 2 . 10/7/2010
Good, continue!
Sgt. Zombo chapter 2 . 10/5/2010
I'm guessing Misato's dad's killer is either Destro or Zartan. Am I right?
D chapter 2 . 10/4/2010
Could you please throw in Storm Shadow and Firefly at some point?
Zim Zapper chapter 2 . 10/4/2010
Poor Shipwreck! I hope he can find a way to fix his clothes. And is it just me, or do I sense a possible Shipwreck/Maya romance in the future? 0
Zim Zapper chapter 1 . 10/4/2010
Kick ass, an Eva/GIJoe crossover fic. And a pretty good start. I'll have to read more.
Ronny chapter 2 . 10/4/2010
All right, so we know why Shinji's still in Tokyo, but I'm still a little baffled to why he's going through the training when he doesn't want to. Couldn't he just say 'no' to everything?

Yet then again, would Gendo or Sergeant Slaughter ever listen to him? Good work, otherwise.
The Turbo Man chapter 2 . 10/2/2010
Great chapter there, Charles. I really like the way the story is progressing with more and more Joes and Cobras being introduced. I like how Shinjiis being put through his paces by Sgt. Slaughter. Very funny indeed, and Shipwreck's laundry mishap was very typical of the character as was Cobra Commander's switch between complete cowardice and utter ruthlessness. I would once again like to request that the Dreadnoks and maybe Wraith and Overkill appear on the Cobra side in this fic, and I guess Storm Shadow as well. If you can contact me as soon as you can about the Chubu chapter of 'Gumball Rally' that would be fine. I just need to work a few details out before I start on it, okay? Talk to you soon. Good work on this story.
gunman chapter 2 . 10/2/2010
I'm really feeling sorry for Shinji.

Bad enough to be forced to be in GI Joe, (which has to be some degree of illegal) but to have to deal with Sgt Slaughter... it makes me ache to just think about it.

There was a part of me that thought, 'Hmm, when is he going to turn around and charge Slaughter's vehicle?'

If you think about it, getting himself intentionally injured would be a pretty convincing way to get out of training. At least the doctors would be on his side at that point.

And while it was funny to see both Joe and Cobra in complete disarray thanks to PenPen and Rei, it does cast a certain light on who is who in the Joe and Cobra ranks.

Misato, Ritsuko, Mari, Maya, Shigeru, Mana (too bad PenPen didn't have a cool code name. You could call him Wetsuit)

Hey! You should do an omake where PenPen and the other Joe animals are playing poker or something. It would be funny as hell!

Back on subject, Misato's dream makes me think that Storm Shadow killed her father. (That's a first thought) After which I began to realize you meant Zartan, cause he kills people like that in the movie.

And Cobra Commander seems to be real interested (upset) at hearing that Shinji is now on the Joe team.

Worst case scenario: Cobra tries to kill him.

Alternate scenario: Cobra kidnaps him promising him liberation, a new identity, and hiding him somewhere in the world away from the Joes.

(I know it's not gonna happen, but it would really mess with Hawk to know that his son is alive and he can't find him)

Most likely scenario: Cobra 'offers' Shinji a job working for them and uses either Mari or Rei as incentive.

And I feel bad for Maya, being inadervantly responsible for Shipwrecks pink clothes. Not that I was adverse to reading that, but for her to get caught like that had to be embarassing and all.

Now she's gonna feel like she owes him something. (GASP! A DATE?)

Nice update. Keep up the good work.

Write on!
1337 chapter 2 . 10/2/2010
Good so far but one question who is snake eyes? is he going to be a EVA charactor or be himself?
Yuzah chapter 2 . 10/1/2010
Nice chapter, but it still avoids the issue of the reluctant hero. Shinji said out loud he didn't want to participate in this - and never took that back - and next things he's training like nothing ever happened. I'd like to see why he refused - although I'll understand perfectly if you say it was because of Gendo - and why would he stay afterwards. I mean, if my ass of a father tried to force me into a unit made of lunatics, I'd send him to hell and get away from there ASAP. Shouldn't Shinji have told Sargeant Slaughter to leave him alone if he didn't want to be there?

That aside, good stuff so far. Nice work with Asuka, and I'm glad you made Maya straight. I'm not entirely sure whether she is a lesbian or not; it was never clarified on the anime.
Negima Uzumaki chapter 1 . 9/12/2010
I loved this fic, I can't wait to see what happens next, will Shinji run away just like in the orginal NGE and if so what will happen to him then, anyway I hope you update this fic soon I would have thought you would have hooked Shinji up with Misato at least and not Asuka.
god of all chapter 1 . 7/14/2010
Great chapter and story so fair pleases continue the story soon.
Classic Cowboy chapter 1 . 6/6/2010
very strong start here, Chuck, definately looking forward to seeing where you take us with it! Yo Joe!
gunman chapter 1 . 6/1/2010
You merged Eva with GI Joe.

Nice. Seriously.

I agree with your other reviewers, though. That Kaji should be Flint, since he likes Lady Jaye, and didn't Shinji refuse to cooperate?

And wouldn't it have been easier to have Shinji explain exactly why he's not happy to be there, and WHY he doesn't want to cooperate?

Still, I don't envy Shinji this time. He's got Sgt Slaughter as his drill instructor.

(I remember what Falcon went through under Slaughters training, and he was already a trained soldier)

And Misato actually stepped on his morning wood.

That, I feel sorry for him.

And at least Asuka's being nice to him this time around.

And he was able to sense Snake Eyes behind him? That's got to count for something.

Though I am confused as to why you gave him the code-name of Duke. He doesn't exactly seem like the 'Duke' type, if you know what I mean?

Also, given the normal Eva scenarios and plots that have sprung up over the years, was the tall man who Rei called 'father' actually Gendo?

That wouldn't be too far off to believe that Gendo is actually Cobra Commander and Gendo Ikari. Playing both sides of the board would guarantee a victory in his mind.

And again, Gendo does not strike me as the 'General Hawk' type. Tough, okay. Decisive, sure. Commanding presence, fine. But 'do the right thing' kind of guy? No way! Especially if he abandoned his own son. Or do you have an explanation for that?

Furthermore, 'Asuka Langley Shikinami'? What the heck?

Asuka's last name was 'Sohryu' and Scarlet's last name was 'O'Hara'.

And if Misato is Lady Jaye, does that mean she's related to Destro?

Watch the original animated series. It states that Lady Jaye and Destro have a common ancestor.

Anyway, good luck with this.

And if you want to know who I think are good Joes: Spirit, Quick Kick and Wild Bill.

Write on!