Reviews for Bolo XL
PappyOldGuy chapter 1 . 10/25/2015
OK! Good writing! I am enjoyed this story and the way it is written, the flow of action is well blended with the needed information and explanation of the what and why of the direction the story. Keep up the good writing, and I look forward to reading another of your stories. Based on your A/N, I know this, when someone who is not the creator of a character, writes about them, it is to have them do something that the creator doesn't want to or didn't think of. I know that I always think of my favorite characters doing things, I have never read of or seen them doing in movies. I think it is fantastic that others (here in "FanFiction") are actually writing their stories of what they want them to do in a "What If" world. For those who complain that the characters would not do this or that, forget them. You need to write this first for yourself, and then for the rest of us who do enjoy your take on what just might, could, should, would and probability (if a frog had wings, his ass wouldn't bump the ground nearly so often) can happen.
Axcel chapter 1 . 7/8/2015
Love this fic, also, I had hoped the Doctor would have gotten more detail. Like that the planet wasn't one of the enemy's worlds and that they just believe all the universe belongs to them and every other sapient species are interlopers to be exterminated.
Axcel chapter 1 . 7/8/2015
Leonidas had repeatedly told the Doctor that he was defending civilians in the shelters the enemy were attempting to breech. That right there should have made the Doctor stop. Regardless of whose side his on he would rather soldiers die than civilians.
Jeff chapter 1 . 3/31/2015
That was a gem!

You caught the arrogance of the Doctor and the decency? of the Bolo rather well.

My all time favorite Bolo story is 'Miles To Go' by David Weber.

You story is up there with that one.

Great Job.
Fleet of Fog chapter 1 . 12/29/2014
It seems like you have had a lot of bad I guess I'll just make you're day! Anyway, as both a Whovian and a veteran Bolo novel reader, I'd say you wrote a pretty story! Keith Laumer would be proud.
zmanjz chapter 1 . 7/3/2014
Excellent story yet ever so terrible. Oddly enough it turns out that Time lords had 12 natural regenerations, but 8 used one to become the War Doctor, and 10 used one on the Hand to survive the Dalek. The decision to have 10 do this... seems so appropriate. 9 and 10 were still a flicked with levels of PTSD, which resulted in an irrational fear of weapons and a strange... arrogance that seemed like a scab on a fresh wound. It wasn't until the 11th, that he seemed to regain a sense of wisdom. Odd that the Youngest actor to portray the Doctor could make him feel like the oldest. That for all his pacifism, the 10th would be forever named "the destroyer of worlds" and that it would not be until the 11th that he does become wise enough to end wars while saving the innocent. To the point where he gets so good at doing the impossible to save people that River dubs him "The Impossible Man".
Guest chapter 1 . 3/12/2014
The Doctor doesn't fail often but when he does, he fails hard.
The Dark Lord Duroth chapter 1 . 3/8/2014
I have a problem with this story.

My complaint isn't about the Doctor's twelve regenerations or whatever, 'cause I don't really care about that sort of complex continuity. What my problem is is the Doctor's actual character.

The Doctor simply leaving, while the aliens laugh over the corpses of their victims, is NOT something that the Doctor would do. The Doctor would become enraged, and the aliens would be hit full force with his Doctorly retribution. In the very least, he would incapacitate them and or leave them at the mercy of an enemy. At most, he would come up with a way to utterly destroy them. I just can't see him leaving.

Also, it's 'perpetrate genocide,' not 'prosecute genocide.'
Reldresal chapter 1 . 2/17/2014
In The Poison Sky, the Doctor took the converter to the Sontaran ship, but offered them the chance to retreat. When they refused, he couldn't bring himself to use it. So where was the contradiction, hmm? The fact is that artificial intelligences, and wars involving them, have been a staple of Doctor Who since the sixties, from WOTAN to BOSS to Xoannon to Kamelion. A couple have been companions, and the Doctor has created a few himself. Ask John Hurt if the Doctor knows nothing of the reality of war. The Time Of The Doctor said he had twelve regenerations. It also said that at this point, he had one left. So is The Time Of The Doctor non-canon?
ArchAIngel chapter 1 . 10/17/2013
Wow. Quite bolo. Very pointed, and a good look at how the doctor has way too much luck. Not every situation is dealt with peacefully. Maybe someone should get the doctor a copy of starship troopers.
MyRandomName chapter 1 . 9/15/2013
Nice story.
AngelForm chapter 1 . 4/20/2013
A very insightful story.

The Doctor is a man who declares himself god and his word law. This is his right as a being of near unchallenged power and his responsibility as a thing being of intellect, conscience and resolve.

Fine for those he chooses to save.
No so much for those he decides are unfit to live.
Weaponized Mind chapter 1 . 3/2/2013
Wow. Wasn't expecting that ending. It's nice to see a story where the Doctor doesn't manage to fix everything in the end. It ...Humanizes him, makes him more relate-able. I know he isn't supposed to be relate-able, he is supposed to be better the human and the companions are supposed to be the relate-able ones, but I still enjoy seeing a different side to him. Any I loved this, especially the philosophy debate with Leonidas, not man fanfic authors know anything about philosophy. Your writing is solid, and I hope to read more works as good as this in the future.
Guest chapter 1 . 6/30/2012
Well, The Sarah Jane Adventures is a television series set in the universe of Doctor Who. I'd call that canon. Anyway, one of the things the Doctor said about Time Lords back in 1969 was that they live forever, baring accidents. And he never said he only had four lives left, did he? There have been a few reviews sneering at him for this fic. Nice Job Breaking it Hero and all that. If it's not canon, that's unfair, isn't it?
prudiisten chapter 1 . 3/1/2012