Reviews for Across The World
This was a sweet adorable story!
I really enjoyed it very much and IT WAS SO FUNNY! I couldn't help but Laugh Out Loud at a lot of things!
AMAZING JOB!
-Savannah GilVe B-
Just wow! I am a slacker at leaving reviews, however I just have to tell you how much this story amazes me. The way you delve into their thoughts, fears, and emotions is brilliant and the classic Lit banter is hilarious and just so them. The pacing is perfect with just the right balance of happiness and angst, and the sex scenes are powerful yet tasteful. This is my favourite fic and there are some great ones out there. Would love to see the other one finished too.
DebbieFromAccounting chapter 29 . 11/24/2017
Hello once-was-serendipity! It's been more than 3 years since you've been active on , so I don't know if you'll ever read this. This story is so beautiful that I had to leave a review. I've read and loved many ffs over the past couple of years, but this one touched me deeply.

MY BACKGROUND:
I never watched GG while it was in production. I was busy with young children and rarely watched TV for more then 30 minutes at a time. Over the past months, I binge-watched the entire GG series andthe AYITL miniseries. The development of the GG stories and characters are fresh and new and vivid to me.

LONG-ASS BACKGROUND:
The s6 episode at the Truncheon open house never sat right with me, and not only because the scene was so heartbreaking. In many ways that scene felt true to the dramedic [is that a word?] ride that first sucked me into GG world, but it ultimately rang UNtrue (or maybe just disappointing).
Yes, it's really hard to fault Rory for allowing herself to remain trapped in Logan's exciting orbit of romance and wealth. Matt Czuchry's hot as hell and Logan has evolved into a caring yet still fun romantic. By the end of the series, I could almost see past the bridesmaids thing and his BS justification of it. And yes, Rory has only recently been snapped out (by Jess) of the pathetic free fall that was triggered by a brutally honest performance review by Mitchum Huntzberger.
But it's insulting to me as a GG fan that a 21-year-old Rory is so lacking in self-awareness regarding Jess and Logan. I was in the middle of an intense and dramatic triangle at around that age. I didn't handle it as well as I could have and I still cringe when I think of it. Having myself lived through a similar situation, Rory's visit to Philadelphia doesn't ring true in the least and comes off as a lazy plot device to engineer a Milo Ventimiglia scene to appease the Team Jess crowd.
BTW, I am neither a Team Logan nor a Team Jess zealot. I can see Rory _eventually_ ending up with either guy. And BTW2 the Rory storyline in AYITL did not measure up to the rest of the stories in the miniseries. It was a far greater abomination of the character of Rory than the much-maligned season 7. With the return of AS-L and DP for AYITL, I had hoped for redemption. I ended up caring less about Rory and more about just about everyone else.

I'M FINALLY WORKING MY WAY TO AN ACTUAL REVIEW:
When the Truncheon scene got to the line, "I'm in love with him," my gut reaction was, "Huh? Who wrote this scene? Is this a Jess or Rory dream sequence?" Really? At 21 I would expect Rory to have moved beyond starting to kiss a guy only to abruptly snap out of it and run away. [Dean at Doose's Market, Tristan at Madeline's party, Jess at Sookie's wedding. Thankfully she didn't do the same with poor Marty.] And Jess' reaction, although the character has evolved beautifully, is too detached for me to recognize Jess.
If I try really hard, I can reluctantly accept that Rory was so narcissistic in going to Philadelphia. And I suppose I could convince myself that Jess really did react with mature acceptance of Rory's brain-dead cruelty and his deep disappointment. In contrast with that scene, the rest of the series and the miniseries, "Across the World" takes the Logan-Rory-Jess triangle in a far more believable and satisfying direction.

FINALLY - THE REVIEW
"Across the World" beautifully and believably transitions Rory and Jess from their tragic end in Philadelphia to a wonderful adult love story. Many ff's do a great job at this sort of transition, but I have not yet read one that makes the characters come to life for me as "Across the World" does. When the story takes the reader through Rory's day and through her thoughts, I'm Rory. When the story does the same with Jess, I'm Jess. Early on, I understand and care deeply about both. The story fast-forwards from the series end to their early 30's, but I don't have to get to know new versions of beloved characters from a different time. Each retains, in varying degrees depending on the issue, remnants of their old flaws and insecurities. But they're more mature and - with the help of their conversations with Lane, Lorelai and Luke - more able to make better decisions. You really nailed the dialogs between them and Luke and Lorelai, too.
The set and setting (I mean Dublin, not recreational drugs) is brilliant in that it distances the characters from many of the distracting factors of their young love days. At the same time, the appearances of Lorelai, Luke, and Logan keep the story true to the GG series we know and love. This allows the characters to move forward, together or not, while remaining the Rory and Jess (we thought) we knew 10 years earlier.
Without exception, every scene and dialog brought the story to life for me in a way that the series (starting at "The Real Paul Anka") and miniseries did not and, given the different format, could not. Rory and Jess each have a solid career going, and they more mature and self-aware, although to a lesser degree when old insecurities about one another flares up. I was rooting for Rory and Jess to find their way to a real relationship not as one does in a novel or movie, but almost like I would two close friends that I know are meant to be together.

Thank you for this beautiful story. You are an amazing storyteller and I wish I could find more of your writing than the 3 stories on .
Anna chapter 29 . 6/5/2017
Fantastic story :D!
fayevalcntine chapter 29 . 3/5/2017
I don't know if you'll ever respond to this but I just saw that you referenced Tose Proeski in your notes and I have to ask, are you Macedonian too? Because I am and I can't believe you mentioned him/used him in your fic regardless. It's a really great honor to see that
Guest chapter 29 . 1/21/2017
Wonderful story!
BTR14 chapter 29 . 1/11/2017
Just read this entire story in a day. Absolutely loved it.
AJ Granger chapter 29 . 1/4/2017
Amazingly good story. I like that it focused solely on Rory and Jess, and that it recognized that they both made some pretty big mistakes in their past. Their talk here in this chapter was a necessary thing, just as the earlier discussions helped with the story. I really liked that Matt makes an appearance and actually attempts to protect Jess through questioning Rory's intentions towards Jess. It's nice to see someone do that as Jess rarely had someone in his corner that wasn't Rory. Even in instances between Rory and Jess, Luke often chose Rory arguing she needed protection. In many ways, Jess may have needed that emotional support much more as he didn't have anyone else to turn to for that besides Rory.

Overall, I like the way you capture and portray the characters. I thought the festival and the trip there was a nice way of showcasing the differences in personality between the two (the planner and the risk taker). Seeing bits of Jess at work, and Rory enjoying working for a paper was good. The activities you chose for them made it easy to imagine in any city rather than just Dublin which helps since you hadn't been there.

Overall, I appreciate that Lorelai and Luke made brief appearances by phone, and a sequel to this might be interesting.
AJ Granger chapter 3 . 1/4/2017
Excellent start. The texting went on for longer than I expected. I like that it's in Dublin. Good choice of city. Lots of famous writer's and interesting places to go. I've only been there once, and it wasn't for long enough. I highly recommend it, and I think that Rory and Jess will like it a great deal.
autumnleaves18 chapter 29 . 11/27/2016
wow, I love how you portray them as soulmates but at the same time both so scared and vulnerable
LeSass chapter 29 . 10/6/2016
Everything about your writing is do candid and tasteful - even the sex was believable and not trashy, just sweet and right. I didn't want to read this one because I'm figuring out an international story of my own and didn't want to get ideas. But obviously I couldn't resist and I'm confident I won't steal from you because it's something I just want untouched and your story is just so different than I could ever imagine for anything. Thank you for sharing all of your thoughts in these three pieces, you really do have a beautiful gift.
Guest chapter 29 . 9/14/2016
I've read a lot of Literati, but this is easily one of these best!
ashotoflife chapter 29 . 8/22/2016
Hello, I'm so glad I'm finally able to review this thing. I just spent the past two days reading this non stop and there are so many times I wanted to say something to you but I held back because I figured I should wait until I finished the whole thing. Firstly, there's this guest reviewer a few comments down from mine who has no idea what they are talking about. Maybe Jess wouldn't reacted the way he did after truncheon (as they said) but you are so not an awful writer. In fact, I would say you are pretty damn impressive. You chose to take it where you did and have truncheon be a pivotal moment and that is completely fine, and completely fair. But I don't really care so much about the plot as I do about the characters, which you did a fantastic job with. I was so pleased when I read the first chapter to find Jess and Rory's dialogue so incredibly on point. The Stars Hollow characters are not easy to write. They talk fast, they're witty as hell, they make numerous obscure references and they each have very distinctive voices and personalities despite basically all of them doing what I just described. So, you being able to write them so well was shocking to me. There were times when I felt like I didn't even need to bother reviewing because you're clearly intelligent enough to know what a wonderful job you did with the characters. You created a beautiful tale and your injection of quotes and songs created a really dynamic piece that I thoroughly enjoyed. I listened to most of the songs as I read and it created this really vivid experience for me as a reader. Aside from all that, I just wanted to say you are in fact a lovely writer and you've created a beautiful piece here and you should be very proud. Thank you for taking the time to write. I hope to one day read a book by you.
Robin94 chapter 29 . 6/11/2016
This is one of my favourite Literati fics, definitely in the top 3, and I always come back to re-read it. It's so good, I can't help it. :)
Guest chapter 1 . 3/16/2016
That is horribly written by you! Jess would never behave like that! And why? Just because of this little misshap at truncheon last time? That is ridiculous. You are an awful writer and you don't know shit about literati. Go to hell!